ReefCleaners.org

did a barrage of tests today..... #wut

ca: 450 (cut dosing 5mL) currently dosing 20mL

Alk: 7.5 (upped dosing 4mL) currently dosing 24mL

mg: 1320 (still weekly dose of 10mL)

this whole week the tank has been consistent at 7.5-7.8 dKH maybe it's balancing out. It just seems weird that the calcium level hasn't changed in 4 months even when i change the doser...

water change time! 10g

How do you have your dosing ordered? The Buggle magus only has 5 minutes between pumps so I do Alk on #1 and Calcium on #3 to get a 10 minute spread. If I do Mag it will be on #2.

TheKleinReef

Ca and alk are dosed 4 times per day. Every six hours. They are staggered so there's 3 hours in between the dose if alk and ca. If that makes sense.

Mag gets dosed once weekly.

Ca and alk are dosed 4 times per day. Every six hours. They are staggered so there's 3 hours in between the dose if alk and ca. If that makes sense.

Mag gets dosed once weekly.

Hmmm. I would dose more often, honestly, to lock in stability. I'm doing small hourly doses but this is my first doser and I have no experience with what works best.

TheKleinReef

Hmmm. I would dose more often, honestly, to lock in stability. I'm doing small hourly doses but this is my first doser and I have no experience with what works best.

i'm only dosing 20-24mL so the swing isn't large at all.

but i try to keep the gaps between ca and alk over 1 hour.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Aquavitro is advertised to mix at 8.8 dkh. I tested a fresh batch out I curiously after talking to Kat about freshly mixed salt dkh and it tested 7.5dkh.

Which could likely be the cause if my alkalinity drop these last few weeks. Usually I do 10g water change which doesn't change the overall dkh since the tank used to be at 8.8-9.0 dkh. But either consumption has increased dramatically or the salt mix is causing the drop.

Regardless that was the last batch in the bucket. I'm going to get a new bucket today and test it as well.

Thoughts anyone?

I would consider 7.5 to be perfect, but I bet if you make sure to mix at 35 ppt it's closer to 8.5. Test kits we use are so rough it's really hard to tell. Red Sea blue bucket is almost the perfect salt for SPS tanks IMO, but I can't lug around the big bucket it comes in.

TheKleinReef

Salifert test kit? Have you used their sample fluid to validate the test kit? The turn to pink can be tricky. :D

yep salifert. i usually go to the same end point each time. and get pretty consistent results. I cross checked it with the sample solution and it was on point. Maybe it was just the bottom of the bucket not being mixed as well causing some alternations in parameter levels? maybe checking a new bucket will help determine if that was the case.

TheKleinReef

Retested another batch, it came out to 8.5 dkh. So it was probably just a badly mixed batch or the SG was off and I didn't notice. Derp

My shipment from marinedepot came in. I got some BW coral amino acids and BW alkalin-p. Looking forward to seeing how the tank reacts to it.

TheKleinReef

flickr has to be one of the most ani-user friendly sites i've ever used.

somehow flickr created a second account in my name, and every time i tried to sign in, it would sign me into the old one. But i didn't want to delete the old one since most of the pictures there are in posts here. after 20 minutes resetting and re-logging in 10x i gave up and deleted the old one. one more rant, why would flickr ask me to sign in with google+ (which i have because of youtube) if it's going to REDIRECT ME back to yahoo. wfijeufheoufef

end rant. sorry guys.

here's a picture to make up for it.

https://flic.kr/p/oe24yw'>14587170434_829d3f01ac_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oe24yw'>RMK_0472.jpg by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

• Like 4

Looks nice. Does only one clown frolick in the BTA?

As for rants, After turning on EVERY available privacy feature in G+, I was still getting random messages and add requests from complete strangers. Contacted Google multiple times and could not get it to stop. Finally I just deleted the feature and refuse to re-activate it. Unfortunately they have made G+ mandatory for several of their applications and services and that pisses me off. /rant

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Looks nice. Does only one clown frolick in the BTA?

As for rants, After turning on EVERY available privacy feature in G+, I was still getting random messages and add requests from complete strangers. Contacted Google multiple times and could not get it to stop. Finally I just deleted the feature and refuse to re-activate it. Unfortunately they have made G+ mandatory for several of their applications and services and that pisses me off. /rant

i keep almost everything on google+ on the computer. people add me to their circle or whatever, but i have a lot of the notifications off as well. i'm gonna take some more tank pictures to cool off. too many negative things happening... <_<

TheKleinReef

PE is stupid wicked at night but I can't get a single polyp to extend during the day. Bleh no matter how much I feed or when PE is always insane at night. Is it just the type of sps I have? Are some more likely to extend polyps during the day while others don't? I want some furry sps.

PE is stupid wicked at night but I can't get a single polyp to extend during the day. Bleh no matter how much I feed or when PE is always insane at night. Is it just the type of sps I have? Are some more likely to extend polyps during the day while others don't? I want some furry sps.

FLAME ANGEL :D

The SPS are healthy and are behaving like they do in a real reef environment. IMO. Do you still have a slimer?

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

FLAME ANGEL :D

The SPS are healthy and are behaving like they do in a real reef environment. IMO. Do you still have a slimer?

I would still see some PE wouldn't I? I mean I see huge tanks with big angels and the sps have PE. that can't be the only reason?Maybe I'm just in denial since I've never seen it pick at sps.

Yeah I still have a green slimer. One of the corals that has insane PE at night. I wish I could get a pic of it.

I would still see some PE wouldn't I? I mean I see huge tanks with big angels and the sps have PE. that can't be the only reason?Maybe I'm just in denial since I've never seen it pick at sps.

Yeah I still have a green slimer. One of the corals that has insane PE at night. I wish I could get a pic of it.

Slimer has really good PE during the day so that's an indication. Pull up a chair, grab a beverage, and just watch the slimer for an hour. You'll witness a drive by. Beautiful fish, and maybe worth not having any PE during the day. Angles in larger tanks tend to do better because there are more corals to pick on. IMO.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Slimer has really good PE during the day so that's an indication. Pull up a chair, grab a beverage, and just watch the slimer for an hour. You'll witness a drive by. Beautiful fish, and maybe worth not having any PE during the day. Angles in larger tanks tend to do better because there are more corals to pick on. IMO.

Maybe I'll do that. I get decent PE on the slimer but it's not consistent nor is it anything like at night. Honestly i'd rather look at fuzzy sticks than the flame angel... Polyps interest me more than a fish.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Picked up a lab grade pH probe and some calibration solution. Should be interesting testing my pH for the first time ever. :P

I'm gonna do some rearranging of the apex. I really want to mount it to the side of the stand an hide the wires using those covers. I hate having that awesome Apex hidden away where I can't admire it. :D

Rog

For what it's worth, everything you sent me has crazy PE day and night. I second the whole angel thing! Obviously the corals are healthy if they are extending at night! Something had to be nipping during the day. I swear angles are smart. He prob doesn't do it in front of your. As soon as you turn around he's prob nipping away...lol

TheKleinReef

Rog

For what it's worth, everything you sent me has crazy PE day and night. I second the whole angel thing! Obviously the corals are healthy if they are extending at night! Something had to be nipping during the day. I swear angles are smart. He prob doesn't do it in front of your. As soon as you turn around he's prob nipping away...lol

that's awesome! i'm glad they're all doing well for you, but it looks like it's confirmed that the angel is the problem. maybe if i keep collecting sps, the angel will have more to pick on so the PE will be better? who knows. i wish the mini colonies of that delicate stag were healed by the time i sent you that frag pack. i have 4 3+" colonies of it, all doing well, i might just mount one on each pillar if no one takes them.

i just calibrated the apex pH probe and my tank is right at 8.06, i've never messed with pH and i guess i never needed to.

• Like 1

Cool man! I have a couple frags on the rack too. I'm gonna give them a couple more weeks to encrust well, and I'll send them your way. So far I have a ora joe the coral, a cool a. Tenuis that's like white, purple, and a little green, and the wwc yellow tip. When they encrust I will send then your way.

TheKleinReef

awesome! we'll have to plan it out a bit since i'm moving to Boise, ID soon. :o

my brother is home some days in the afternoon so I may be able to talk him through acclimation.

but i'm so excited :haha:

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Roger, I got my water test results back. Posted on my thread.

I saw on mobile so I haven't gotten a chance to reply back. Any idea about the big gaps between alk and mag? I'll head to your thread now incase you mentioned it.