Pod Your Reef

i want less rock. but i have horribly shaped rock and too many LPS.

That's easy enough to fix. Take a hammer to the rock until it looks the way you want it to look. As for the LPS, just sell them and get more SPS! :D

• Like 3
TheKleinReef

Ahem.... Peh- NIN-sooh-luh

One day. One day....

That's easy enough to fix. Take a hammer to the rock until it looks the way you want it to look. As for the LPS, just sell them and get more SPS! :D

I really want to get new dry rock and build a scape from scratch, then seed it in the frag tank. But I'm moving soon so I can't really do that... Ah well.

TheKleinReef

just realized i made a horrible mistake. i put 4 berghias in the frag tank thinking my parents were gonna leave that tank running after i move, but i don't think they are anymore. any tips on finding them? i read they're nocturnal but still couldn't spot one... maybe i should just move all the rock over in case? that would be my best bet.

doh!

• Like 1

just realized i made a horrible mistake. i put 4 berghias in the frag tank thinking my parents were gonna leave that tank running after i move, but i don't think they are anymore. any tips on finding them? i read they're nocturnal but still couldn't spot one... maybe i should just move all the rock over in case? that would be my best bet.

doh!

Put some aphasia in a bottle and make a trap?

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Put some aphasia in a bottle and make a trap?

not sure how well that would work considering how much aptasia is in the frag tank... i've been searching for them every day. i'll probably end up moving everything over just to be sure.

TheKleinReef

upped the photo period to this:

7:00-7:30 1 blue+ 1 actinic

7:30-8:00 2 blue+, 1 coral+, 1 purple+

8:00-19:00 3 blue+ 1 coral+, 1 purple+, 1 actinic

19:00-19:30 2 blue+, 1 coral+, 1 purple+

19:30-20:001 blue+ 1 actinic

light height is still 11" from the surface of the water.

TheKleinReef

Looking good Rog. Getting some color in there. Everything u sent me is on it's way to color. I'll snap some pics soon!

that's awesome to hear! even i'm having trouble getting the delicate stag to color up. i have the nice bright blue tips and green polyps, but the flesh is just a pale brownish/red. I have a few that need to color up a bit (red planet, teal stag, granulosa) but i think they are well on their way. especially since i upped the photoperiod.

TheKleinReef

is the snail even able to move? that's hilarious.

it was actually on the move when i snapped the pic. it didn't last very long though. the nem walked off and is currently tucked in a corner. :D

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

After keeping up with high feelings and zeovit dosing I am still not seeing an increase in polyp extension during the day. At night some of the sps have their polyps out. But during the day not a single one has them out. Any advice?

After keeping up with high feelings and zeovit dosing I am still not seeing an increase in polyp extension during the day. At night some of the sps have their polyps out. But during the day not a single one has them out. Any advice?

Hmmm. Has to be something in the system. Everything u sent me has good polyp extension and is showing color. Post up your param and routine for me.

Also I noticed when i received the frags they were a lil bleached. I figured it was from shipping. Were they a little pale in your system? I only ask so I can get a idea of what's going on. Post some close up pics of the sticks.

TheKleinReef

Hmmm. Has to be something in the system. Everything u sent me has good polyp extension and is showing color. Post up your param and routine for me.

Also I noticed when i received the frags they were a lil bleached. I figured it was from shipping. Were they a little pale in your system? I only ask so I can get a idea of what's going on. Post some close up pics of the sticks.

I did change the halide bulbs days before shipping and I derped and didn't raise the halides. So that's why they were bleached. Sorry about that :(

Here's my regimen:

CV: 3 drops per day

Polls extra: .5ml every day

B-balance: 1ml per week

Sponge power: 4 drops every day

Elos potassium: 10ml per week

Iodine: 2 drops per week

Half inch square of reef frenzy daily

Cube of mysis 3x per week

4 squirts of azox 3x per week

1 tbsp of phyto daily

Haven't checked parameters in a week but this was last weeks results:

Ca: 420

Alk: 9.3

K+ 410

Mag: 1350

I had good polyp extension on the green slimer during the day, then it moved it from the frag rack to the rocks and I haven't seen polyps since. I'm on my ipad so I can post the pics now, but there's a few on the last couple pages.

Hmmmm. That looks pretty solid. Phosphates and nitrates?

You are not running zeo reactor correct? No zeostart?? I know some people don't run a reactor, but you should dose zeostart. That's what will get you to a ulns. Check out Trons routine. He doesn't run a reactor and seems like his sps is doing great.

TheKleinReef

Hmmmm. That looks pretty solid. Phosphates and nitrates? You are not running zeo reactor correct? No zeostart?? I know some people don't run a reactor, but you should dose zeostart. That's what will get you to a ulns. Check out Trons routine. He doesn't run a reactor and seems like his sps is doing great.

Last time I came close to a ULNS I ran into problems. I'm trying to avoid that. I'm following Kat and Arks philosophy. Feed a lot but have solid nutrient export to avoid the nasty algae problems. Both of them seem to get solid PE.

TheKleinReef

Do you have any amino acids? See if that works.to show PE.

Whoops. Forgot to mention Acropower.

I used to use seachem fuel, but didn't notice any change using that either.

Got ya. I've honestly never ran anything in between. I'm running ulns now, and so far it's going ok. It has had a couple ups and downs, but I think I have it dialed in now. It's a learning curve like anything else. Before this I had a high nutrient system. Something similar to Kats.

Big skimmer, fuge, lots of feeding, and 2 part along with a couple other things. When I was running a nutrient rich system I didn't feed my sps per say. Every once in a while I did, but mostly relied on what was in the system for nutrient. Fish poop, left over food, ect. That tank always hovered around 20 nitrates and pretty high phosphates. Believe it or not it actually worked very well. I would dose iron, potassium, and strontium also.

My nutrient rich tank would take longer for things to color up. That's for sure. Once they did though, they took off quickly. I still had good PE in this tank too. I really don't know what it could be. You should have great flow with 4 mp10s and lighting should be fine. I'm at a loss. If you have PE at night then atleast u know the corals are ok. When do you do your dosing? In the am?

Do u have PE in your frag tank?

I know it's not pest related. The frags came in clean so I would imagine the tank is pest free. Sorry i couldn't be more help dude. I'll think about it and get back. Last question. Any nippers? Something that could be bothering them during the day?

TheKleinReef

Do u have PE in your frag tank? I know it's not pest related. The frags came in clean so I would imagine the tank is pest free. Sorry i couldn't be more help dude. I'll think about it and get back. Last question. Any nippers? Something that could be bothering them during the day?

currently i have even worse poylp extension in the frag tank. when it was in it's prime i had wonderful PE. not sure what i was doing to be honest.

i have a flame angel, but i have never seen it pick. (but that doesn't mean it doesn't). i did have a redbug outbreak a while back, but

i haven't seen them in a while.

I did change the halide bulbs days before shipping and I derped and didn't raise the halides. So that's why they were bleached. Sorry about that :(

Here's my regimen:

CV: 3 drops per day

Polls extra: .5ml every day

B-balance: 1ml per week

Sponge power: 4 drops every day

Elos potassium: 10ml per week

Iodine: 2 drops per week

Half inch square of reef frenzy daily

Cube of mysis 3x per week

4 squirts of azox 3x per week

1 tbsp of phyto daily

Haven't checked parameters in a week but this was last weeks results:

Ca: 420

Alk: 9.3

K+ 410

Mag: 1350

I had good polyp extension on the green slimer during the day, then it moved it from the frag rack to the rocks and I haven't seen polyps since. I'm on my ipad so I can post the pics now, but there's a few on the last couple pages.

Alk needs to come down Roger :P , also try 2mL BB twice a week :)