Innovative Marine Aquariums

TheKleinReef

The True Actinic is, as Ben said, not a bright bulb. But it offers a big bump in the 420nm range. It works well also if your fixture is oversize for your tank and just too bright. Putting a True Actinic in can lower the intensity but just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not doing something. Works well as a sunrise/sunset bulb. If you find you need more PAR, replace it with a Blue+ or Coral+ maybe.

Glad to see everything has turned around for you and you are enjoying the tanks again :)

Ben, where did you get that graph?

Thanks for the info Christine! It took a while but I actually love this tank again. :) thanks for the help along the way.

I hope the SPS keep doing well, Roger. *knocks on wood* After all the crap you put up with, you deserve it :D

Thanks Ark! Those kind words mean more than you know :)

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

bulbs came! i can't wait to head home and see what the combo looks like. it might not be for a week or two though...

but just my luck, the pump on t he frag tank ATO died. got 2 more on order, a replacement and a backup.

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

turned in all my stuff for graduate school. praying for the best... i already told the head coach that i'm going to Boise, ID to be a volunteer coach but a large part rides on graduate school acceptance... :o

regardless, i'm thinking i should tear down the frag tank and sell it for some extra cash or just use some of the equipment on a nano-build when i move to boise.

lighting: upgraded radion gen1 > radion gen 3 (or gen 3 pro)

tank: either a 18" or 20" AIO cube or cad 18G AIO system with skimmer

ATO: tunze

Doser: GHL

Vessels: Vertex

• Like 1
Arkayology

GL with grad school apps Roger. Good plan with the whole nano thing. It would suck if you got out because of school. I like watching your builds.

Tip: Get in good with your school's marine sciences or botany people. They can get you access to free lab grade RO/DI.

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

GL with grad school apps Roger. Good plan with the whole nano thing. It would suck if you got out because of school. I like watching your builds.

Tip: Get in good with your school's marine sciences or botany people. They can get you access to free lab grade RO/DI.

thanks ark! i'm glad you enjoy my builds! i have a bunch of tank ideas in my head and one day i want to create them all! ;D

good tip about the RO/DI source. i'll be sure to do that if i can!

TheKleinReef

Swapped out the bulbs today. Rather than swapping out 1 per week I just swapped all 6 and raised the fixture a few inches. I don't want to put my parents through swapping each one individually. Especially since the way the light is hung it's a hassle to slide the acrylic protector out of the fixture. Here's the current order:

Back

Coral+

Blue+

Purple+

Blue+

True actinic

Blue+

Front.

So far I'm loving it. A nice crisp blue look. Originally I wanted a whiter look but this combo is awesome.

TheKleinReef

all the sps are still doing well. :D the tiny red planet frag is growing like mad already!

hopefully the new bulbs and feeding regimen will keep this system nice an healthy.

New mini Zeo Regimen

CV: 3 drops daily

Pohls' Extra Special: 1mL every other day

Sponge Power: 4 drops daily

my parent's seem excited to add this stuff to the tank, as it was their idea to start adding it again consistently. hopefully they stick to the regimen. if not, i know they'll stick to the feeding regimen (phyto, azox, reef frenzy, mysis)

• Like 1
Cameron6796

My parents come in the lfs and are like "whats that" me "purple tang". Them "eeeeew whats wrong with him" me first that colourstion means its a her and it has an infection in its eye" lol they are not catching on

TheKleinReef

My parents come in the lfs and are like "whats that" me "purple tang". Them "eeeeew whats wrong with him" me first that colourstion means its a her and it has an infection in its eye" lol they are not catching on

my parents still struggle with fish compatibility. haha. my mom really wants a purple tang, but i can't add one now because A. my tank is too small as it is. and B. cause of tang agression. they also want another angel, but the same thing happens... haha

they do know the differences in coral and stuff like that. but lighting, dosing, salt mixing, aquascaping that's all me.... :D

Hey good luck with grad school! Also could you post a video of your tank running all those mp10s on tidal swell? Everyone talks about mp10 settings, but it is often hard to find video of what they look like, especially with multiple pumps. I should probably do the same for my settings.

jedimasterben

Hey good luck with grad school! Also could you post a video of your tank running all those mp10s on tidal swell? Everyone talks about mp10 settings, but it is often hard to find video of what they look like, especially with multiple pumps. I should probably do the same for my settings.

It's really difficult to show any kind of flow except for pulsing.

TheKleinReef

This is probably the closest thing I have to a video:

• Like 2
TheKleinReef
Nice that is perfect! See very possible! By the way, love the urchin in the background.

Thanks. I named it bulldozer. For the exact reason you think. Hahaha

:D

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

only seeing signs of stress on the aculeus and the red planet... :/

i feel like this tank needs more flow, but when i turn the mp10's up the LPS close up. not exactly sure how i' can find a balance.

on the brighter side, the new pink mini colony i got is growing like mad. and the other frags look really good. especially the myagi tort base. it's a bright green and yellow. i hope i can get the purple to come back as well.

• Like 1

It's not? It was sold to me as a Myagi. Here's a picture of it from when I got it in September

DSCF1080.JPG

it has a lot of gold and purple. just a touch of green

okay, I found an older pic. Looks like I got it in August

20130801_210310.jpg

• Like 1