Jump to content
TheKleinReef

Roger’s Reboot

Recommended Posts

Christopher Marks
59 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

everything is gone. 

 

every. single. coral. 

 

I'm done. 

Oh Roger that's awful, I'm so sorry to hear 😔

Share this post


Link to post
ninjamyst
Spoiler

Sorry to hear... fish survived?  What happened?  Was it the alk issue?

 

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef

Tank is getting a major rehaul in August. 

 

In the mean time, I gots me a FW tank with some Ecotech goodies. 

 

28251463637_7e29dd44db_c.jpgIMG_0340 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks

That's so good to hear @TheKleinReef, I'm glad you checked in!

 

Nice freshwater setup, is it your first planted tank? I'd like to try my hand at a planted tank one of these days.

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's so good to hear @TheKleinReef, I'm glad you checked in!

 

Nice freshwater setup, is it your first planted tank? I'd like to try my hand at a planted tank one of these days.

I’ve had a few low tech set ups before but I usually ended up ripping them down after a few months out of boredom. 

 

Since I got  this light I may try some higher light plants but I don’t really know what to get. 

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef

Debating on removing the tang and flame angel. Anyone in the NW suburbs of Chicago want a gluttonous tang and a decently behaved flame angel?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef

Re haul complete. 

Drained the tank, cleaned off the rocks, removed the sand, put in new sand. Redid the scape. Will post a picture when the lights are back on. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef

Debating on removing the tang and flame angel to get some nicer smaller fish. Thoughts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Patrick17
4 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Debating on removing the tang and flame angel to get some nicer smaller fish. Thoughts?

I've always liked more smaller fish than less of something bigger. Even with tropical tanks I find that more pleasing. Having said that, the bigger fish seem to have more personality, how attached to them are you? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, Patrick17 said:

I've always likes more smaller fish than less of something bigger. Even with tropical tanks I find that more pleasing. Having said that, the bigger fish seem to have more personality, how attached to them are you? 

I’m indifferent to them but my mom loves them 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Patrick17
49 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I’m indifferent to them but my mom loves them 

Sounds like an excuse for a new tank in your mum's name 😉

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider225

How do the talbots behave? I would love a trio but dont want them to be little shits and mess with my other fish.

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef
9 hours ago, dirtrider225 said:

How do the talbots behave? I would love a trio but dont want them to be little shits and mess with my other fish.

A trio didn’t work. Two of them beat up the third. The two have been pretty good, but they can’t really pick on anything else since they’re the smallest fish in the tank. 

Share this post


Link to post
ninjamyst

looking good!  I am about to reboot my tank also after loosing 90% of my corals and fish.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef
8 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

looking good!  I am about to reboot my tank also after loosing 90% of my corals and fish.  

😞 crashes suck. 

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef

Complete list of Upgrades/maintenance:

Blue line pump replaced with vectra M1

29G refugium is up and running 

drained the tank

rinsed off rocks in bucket of SW from the tank

removed sand

added new sand (1-2mm particle size from carib sea)

added rocks (kept it around the overflow to maintain sand space, not much depth though

new corals (hammer, a few easy sps, duncan)

new clownfish since my female clown went MIA

new T5 bulbs (3x coral+, 3x blue+)

Vinegar discontinued 

 

Iphone picture as of 8/2/18

28870706727_69e2d1c78c_z.jpgAugust 2018 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider225

Hey Roger,

 

What is your plan this time around? Is this still at your parents place while you are in school or did you get one set up with you as well? Looking good though!

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef
On 8/14/2018 at 8:03 AM, dirtrider225 said:

Hey Roger,

 

What is your plan this time around? Is this still at your parents place while you are in school or did you get one set up with you as well? Looking good though!

This tank is effectively my parents' tank. 

I don't plan on setting one up anytime soon as the town where I live has 0 reefing LFS's so if something went south i'd be SOL (unless I prepared, and bought 2 of everything). Also, I'm renting so SW+rent+ new dog isn't ideal from a landlord perspective. 

 

The goal with this tank is making it as low maintenance as possible with the 29g fuge and auto dosing. Next step is auto WC.

 

 

 

 

Side note. My second original clown died. Mom found it with a huge bite out of the chest. Looking for a new platinum clown now. 😞

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef

In town for thanksgiving. There was another mini crash. Lost most of the anemones, both clowns, and a goby and GHA popped up out of nowhere. 

 

Here's why: 

A mouse made its way into the sump and died. 

 

yeah, wut. 

I guess the sump is so dark that my parents didn't notice it. When they did a full cleaning they found it. 

That was a about 2 weeks ago. 

 

I came home and removed most of the GHA by hand, the parents also picked up some kessil refugium lights and a GFO/Carbon reactor as well.  I'll take some pics when I can. 

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
ninjamyst

wow, never would have guessed that to be cause of a crash...good luck with getting things back on track!  if you are ever by O'Hare area and want big plates of green montipora with blue polyps, let me know.  I also have small frags of starburst monti, purple stylo.  FREEEEE for you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

wow, never would have guessed that to be cause of a crash...good luck with getting things back on track!  if you are ever by O'Hare area and want big plates of green montipora with blue polyps, let me know.  I also have small frags of starburst monti, purple stylo.  FREEEEE for you.

Soooo tempting, lemme see if I can make it out there, if you still have my number text me!

Share this post


Link to post
--chris--

Hey @TheKleinReef, I just spent 30 minutes reading from the change from the 29 to 65.  Well done, don't let the hiccups knock you out! 

Share this post


Link to post
TheKleinReef
4 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

Hey @TheKleinReef, I just spent 30 minutes reading from the change from the 29 to 65.  Well done, don't let the hiccups knock you out! 

well there's been a lot of them in the last 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
--chris--

HA!  I saw them, I 'sped read' from 2013 onward.  I have had some bad luck, I think everyone does.  Its just....no one posts it!  

 

Besides your tank was amazing, I need some inspiration for my own 36x24 footprint tank 🙂

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...