Pod Your Reef

ordered a replacement kit for the BRS RODI, some 0.8 carbon, and high efficiency GFO.

now i just need advice on a media reactor, anyone have a recommendation?

btw, pics coming soon

as i said: the granulosa is coloring up:

10500867184_ff6087e9c9_c.jpg

The millepora is showing gold (pic didn't turn out so well.)

10500863094_d814c36823_z.jpg

slimer just for fun:

10500862044_319b359333_c.jpg

and to finish it off, a FTS:

10500872334_6a111074bb_c.jpg

Bullshit. WANT PICHERS NAOOO

:lol:

happy now? i rushed getting these....

• Like 5

right now i'm only having trouble with a few corals, all are growing, but brown...

garf bonsai

desalwii

tenuis

strawberry shortcake

also, my setosa doesn't seem to be happy no matter where i put it. it seems like its starting to STN, not from the base though, from the tips. i assumed it was because it was getting too much light, so i move it down... i don't know what else to do.

gfo and carbon are in the mail, but i need some advice on a reactor to run them in, i was thinking the CPR tumbler reactor for the gfo, and just run the carbon passively?

• Like 1

right now i'm only having trouble with a few corals, all are growing, but brown...

garf bonsai

desalwii

tenuis

strawberry shortcake

also, my setosa doesn't seem to be happy no matter where i put it. it seems like its starting to STN, not from the base though, from the tips. i assumed it was because it was getting too much light, so i move it down... i don't know what else to do.

gfo and carbon are in the mail, but i need some advice on a reactor to run them in, i was thinking the CPR tumbler reactor for the gfo, and just run the carbon passively?

Is the tissue coming off or is the tissue just getting lighter?

What are your nutrients at, I would start with very little GFO and increase if necessary slowly. Just get a TLF Phosban reactor, GFO is messy, you need the extra foam to stop it from going in the display. Just run the Carbon in a bag passively.

EDIT: The pictures you posted 3 days ago do not look like you have a nutrient problem, your corals look pale (light).

• Like 1

Is the tissue coming off or is the tissue just getting lighter?

What are your nutrients at, I would start with very little GFO and increase if necessary slowly. Just get a TLF Phosban reactor, GFO is messy, you need the extra foam to stop it from going in the display. Just run the Carbon in a bag passively.

EDIT: The pictures you posted 3 days ago do not look like you have a nutrient problem, your corals look pale (light).

Should I just wait an see if they color up themselves over the next few weeks/months?

As for the setosa if almost looks like spots were burned off. Very distinct patches missing. I have such bad luck with montipora :(

• Like 1

Looks like you have the same T5 blahs that I do so it will be interesting to see if you can color these up. My slimer is more colorful than yours ... this should worry you. :D

Sorry if I missed it, but how long do you run your lights?

4x blue plus, 1x coral pro, 1x purple plus

Coral pro, or coral+?

Slowly reading through the thread ... yes, coral+ :)

E89DC205-E1AF-41AB-B01F-B1FC4928FC80-395

Looks like you have the same T5 blahs that I do so it will be interesting to see if you can color these up. My slimer is more colorful than yours ... this should worry you. :D

Sorry if I missed it, but how long do you run your lights?

Coral pro, or coral+?

Slowly reading through the thread ... yes, coral+ :)

the slimer looks different depending on how i edit the pictures. i can make it look like whatever i want from yellow to neon green. in reality its pretty close to the FTS colors.

but i run 2 blue+ from 6-7, all 6 from 7am-9pm, then 2 blue plus from 9-10. its a pretty long photoperiod, but my parents insist on seeing the tank lt up when they leave for work, and until they go to bed.... i haven't noticed any bad signs (other than the setosa, which i'm not sure is photoperiod related)

and DOH about the coral+ :slap: lol

Looks nice, like the FTS.

thanks! :)

• Like 1

but i run 2 blue+ from 6-7, all 6 from 7am-9pm, then 2 blue plus from 9-10. its a pretty long photoperiod, but my parents insist on seeing the tank lt up when they leave for work, and until they go to bed.... i haven't noticed any bad signs (other than the setosa, which i'm not sure is photoperiod related)

and DOH about the coral+ :slap: lol

I run LED blue (brighter than moonlight but not bright) from 6AM to 10PM, a single bank of Blue+ and Coral+ from 1PM to 9PM and all lights from 2PM to 8PM. My lights are on legs much closer to the water, but above glass lids. I am becoming more and more convinced that pale colors under T5 are a result of water without enough food available (not dirty, low nutrients, but with available foods) and too bright. I used to think people doctored up their pics but I've seen some incidental pics of equipment on tanks that still show vibrant coral colors, and videos which are hard to fake.

Your colors are way better than mine (except for that slimer ;) ) but still pale as Nanotopia noticed. I have two tanks, both far from perfect color. I look at my 40 and see some corals with what I think is ok color, then look over to my 46 with the same corals that are twice as bright and realize I have a problem. For me the most noticeable is my orange digitata and cap.

Maybe you can rig up a different schedule that makes the tank visible for morning and evening but doesn't put a lot of PAR into the tank? A single Blue+ and Coral+ over the middle would still look fairly bright to the eye.

I run LED blue (brighter than moonlight but not bright) from 6AM to 10PM, a single bank of Blue+ and Coral+ from 1PM to 9PM and all lights from 2PM to 8PM. My lights are on legs much closer to the water, but above glass lids. I am becoming more and more convinced that pale colors under T5 are a result of water without enough food available (not dirty, low nutrients, but with available foods) and too bright. I used to think people doctored up their pics but I've seen some incidental pics of equipment on tanks that still show vibrant coral colors, and videos which are hard to fake.

Your colors are way better than mine (except for that slimer ;) ) but still pale as Nanotopia noticed. I have two tanks, both far from perfect color. I look at my 40 and see some corals with what I think is ok color, then look over to my 46 with the same corals that are twice as bright and realize I have a problem. For me the most noticeable is my orange digitata and cap.

Maybe you can rig up a different schedule that makes the tank visible for morning and evening but doesn't put a lot of PAR into the tank? A single Blue+ and Coral+ over the middle would still look fairly bright to the eye.

i wouldn't say i'm getting bad color in general, the frags that are brown now started out brown, and i haven't gotten them to color up. corals that were colorful under radions (ie, millepora, tortuosa, slimer, etc) are getting even better color. i do agree i don't have a lot of nutrients in the system, which is the goal. i feed a lot though. 1-2 times a week of amino acids, phyto, azox, reef chili, and cyclopeeze.

as for the lighting schedule, it does need to change, but nothing seems to be bleaching so i haven't had the incentive to actually change it...

Wow, that's a huge photoperiod!

And I need to get me some Bali slimer

i got 2 frags growin' (: pretty decently sized too (4", ones multi branching)

lemme know if you want it :o

i actually have some pretty cool frags growing, i should put all the epics up soon... (but this info should go in my other thread)

Wow, that's a huge photoperiod!

And I need to get me some Bali slimer

It will take over your tank. :) I got mine from my closest LFS. They had a huge piece all bleached out, cut it into 3 large frags and just laid it on their frag rack. I didn't believe it was actually a slimer but for $15 for a piece as big as the one I got, no arguments. It took only a few days to green up, then I moved it and figured out why it's called a green slimer. I swear that slime smell stuck to my hands for a few days.

It's also capable of doing serious harm to aptasias that grow too close, which impressed the hell out of me.