Innovative Marine Aquariums

What are the tops AIOs right now, something with a good skimmer section/media reactor section preferably, but that;s not too big of an issue since I'll be doing daily automated water changes anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...

Aight. How does on store new saltwater for an auto water change system? Does it have to be airtight? How much could you realistically store at once and for how long. Ive never stored newly made SW for more than 2-3 days. 

Surgery date is 12-22 so yippppee

1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

I keep mixed sw for weeks in covered containers without any problems. 

no sediments at the bottom of the containers?  even when mixing new saltwater, there's a layer of slime at the bottom of the container sometimes

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't use those salt mixes. Red Sea Blue Bucket mixes very clean and there's very little residue. I don't run a pump or heater once it's mixed up. 

• Like 2

You could also consider a Litermeter for your auto water change Roger. Many local reefers here with 6, 8 and 12 foot tanks swear by them to sort out pumping in and out NSW multiple times a day.

http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OFF/LITERMETER-DOSING-SYSTEMS

One guy I know goes through 1000 litres of NSW a month using the litermeter as his sole form of water change. These are so precise that if you set them up correctly you can add and remove water without triggering your ATO. They aren't a cheap option but from what i've heard they are one of the most precise units out there.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 7:27 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Any plans for it while you're home? Can your Nest cam make a time-lapse for you? It would be interesting to follow the urchin for a day.

Just some general maintenance really, not too much planned. 

I like this idea, my nikon has a time lapse feature. I'll set that up for the rest of the day. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pinner Reef said:

:wub: Dat Basslet. Does he hide a lot on you?

Not as much as he did before. Getting the damsels and the filefish really helped dissipate the aggression from the flame angel. For whatever reason the flame angel chases everyone around, kind of annoying. If I got rid of the flame, I'm sure the basslet would be even more active in the tank.

If you watch the timelapse you can see him poke in and around the rock in the bottom right in the video. 

Decided I'm going to reuse my old 60g acrylic frag tank for my text tank, set it up bommie style with small/shallow rock work and a lot of open sand space. Plus I have a sump, skimmer, and all the plumbing for it. As much as I want a smaller tank, it'd actually be cheaper to set this one up hah. I dk when I'll be able to start it though. Surgery is in two weeks so that puts another delay on everything. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Congrats! Hope it went well and you have a smooth recovery.

Thank you! Means a lot. 

Update:

Morning after isn't too bad, but I still have the effects of the nerve block so that’s helping a lot. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long lapse since surgery day. 

I am currently 2.5 weeks out. Pain is pretty minimal now but unfortunately so is strength. Last week was easily the worst, I was unable to put any weight through it and I actually started to see side effects from the pain killers. I traveled from Boise to Sheridan, WY last sat/sun and sitting in the car was challenging but I’m glad it’s over. 

I had my first day of physical therapy and everything is looking pretty average in terms of the recovery timeline. 

I get to ditch the brace and the being weening off the crutches on Friday. Which is a bitter sweet since there’s a lot of ice and snow here and I’m mortified of ice now. 

Regardless, I’m hopeful for the future as I should be biking by spring and running/hiking by mid summer. 

Tank is doing well, I’m debating on heading home at some point and plumbing in the old 29g as a big refugium. My dad is also fascinated by the roller mat. I’m sure that’ll get added on soon. I’ll get some pictures for you guys soon. 

• Like 6