Cultivated Reef

Mr. Microscope

Have your parents taken any pics of the carnage? Did they do any water changes for you? What about those nems? I really really hope those didn't die and pollute the tank!

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Have your parents taken any pics of the carnage? Did they do any water changes for you? What about those nems? I really really hope those didn't die and pollute the tank!

I haven't gotten any pics lately. Lifestream looks horrid though

They're doing 10G water changes (not big enough IMO, trying to get them to do 20G)

Nems and LPS/softies look fine, they're tanks. (aside from the elegance)

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

I'm in the way south suburbs, but if there's anything I can help with, or hold on to if things get really bad... :(

Thanks Kim. It means a lot.

Tank doesn't seem as cloudy today as it has been. Really hoping a few small consistent maintenance habits can get it back to normal.

• Like 5
TheKleinReef

Sorry you have to deal with this man, it must be extremely frustrating

It can be.

I find it hard to be active here during it as well, it's hard for me to see so many beautiful tanks here (like yours), while mine is going through trouble 1700 miles away... just hard to stay positive.

• Like 1
ninjamyst

you got this! glad things are going better. if shit really hits the fan, let the locals here know or make a post on ChicagoReef. A couple of guys on there live by you and I am sure they will help out if you want them to hold stuff. i have plenty of room now to hold stuff too =). and my tank got flatworms now so you dont have to worry about giving me corals with them...hahahah

Sorry to hear about this. Such a bummer especially after seeing those beautiful corals grow to good sized colonies.

Don't entrust long-term care of reef tanks to disinterested family members, even if they mean well. I did the same years ago when I went away for school, and things eventually went down hill.

TheKleinReef

Sorry to hear about this. Such a bummer especially after seeing those beautiful corals grow to good sized colonies.

Don't entrust long-term care of reef tanks to disinterested family members, even if they mean well. I did the same years ago when I went away for school, and things eventually went down hill.

My parents are better reefers than I am, they meddle less. Something happened equipment wise that kick started a crap storm, and I never really taught them how to deal with it.

They got the tank to TOTM status, not me.

• Like 5

My parents are better reefers than I am, they meddle less. Something happened equipment wise that kick started a crap storm, and I never really taught them how to deal with it.

They got the tank to TOTM status, not me.

Sorry. I wasn't aware of the extent of their involvement. I got the wrong impression from your recent posts as it sounded like they didn't care much about doing anything about the situation.

TheKleinReef

Sorry. I wasn't aware of the extent of their involvement. I got the wrong impression from your recent posts as it sounded like they didn't care much about doing anything about the situation.

No worries. I came off a tad defensive as well. School and stress is getting to me, I apologize.

I think they just vastly underestimated the steps it will take to fix, and didn't do enough. They love the tank as much as me, I doubt they'll let it digress to a full crash.

• Like 5
dpoltsdsu

It can be.

I find it hard to be active here during it as well, it's hard for me to see so many beautiful tanks here (like yours), while mine is going through trouble 1700 miles away... just hard to stay positive.

Thanks. And I totally get it man. It'll get better though, I promise. You are one of the most talented reef keepers on this site. In fact, your videos played a key role in me wanting to expand the hobby.

I have been in a similar situation to you; I also live away from my tank because of school and although I get to see it more often than you (every two weeks or so), many things have gone wrong over the years because of it. What I did was focus on easier corals and interesting fish so I could have a thriving reef without a ton of hassle. Because of this, I was able to greatly reduce the amount of equipment I needed and it made things much easier for me and my family..lol.

Whatever you decide to do, do what you feel is right. If there is anything I can do at all, let me know and I will gladly do my best to help. Best of luck to you, I'll be following!

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

doesn't look that bad now that all the dead stuff got pulled. :(

https://video.nest.com/live/mrkleinreef

Update:

Microbacter7 came in.

Today's plan:

• Test
  • Waterchange
  • Dose MB7
  • Adjust doser if need be
  • Adjust feeding if need be

edit: test results

dkh: 7.7

ca: 470

mag: 1260 (adjusted) added 100mL

SG: 1.026

those seem okay. now they gotta stay there.

• Like 4
TheKleinReef

Numbers look good. Hopefully, it will stabilize from here on out.

I think it was the dying stuff that was exacerbating the problems, once those came out, and water canges happened, things cleared up pretty drastically. I'm still keeping an eye out for the kat. I might need an acro-sitter

nest cam looks good. clyde the fat is still very fat. love ur flame angel too...wish i have one

the flame is worth the nipping risk IMO. Such a beautiful fish. I'd never get rid of it unless it starts going crazy but after 2 years, I doubt it will

• Like 4
Mr. Microscope

Are your parents running carbon on the tank? Might help to add a few fresh tbsp's too.

I'm still keeping an eye out for the kat. I might need an acro-sitter

I'll keep an eye on my inbox. ;)
TheKleinReef

Are your parents running carbon on the tank? Might help to add a few fresh tbsp's too.

I'll keep an eye on my inbox. ;)

We've always ran carbon, I'm sure there's some in there

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

All tested at 7.3 today. 0.5 down from yesterday. Putting the doser back on at 20ml to start.

Ps. Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies on here!

edit:

Alk: 7.3

ca: 450

mg: 1200 (it dropped after dosing 100mL!) gotta add more i guess....

• Like 4
TheKleinReef

Ironically it's a little out of focus. :D

How is the tank doing?

iPhone front facing camera pic haha

Not sure on the tank. Even the webcam wasn't working for me.

Also props to you for not even asking what it was. No one gets it hahah

• Like 1