SaltCritters.com

Just now, TheKleinReef said:

nah it's okay. I added a lot of coral since I've been home and I don't want my consumption going up some crazy amount right before I'm about to leave. thanks though. 

Good call, I hope it all stays happy! fingerscrossed

• Like 1
mitten_reef

tank cleaned up nice :), and the painted background sure make those BTA "popped"!  

I know many had said it before, but the bubbles on those nems are just terrific! What's your pH? I've observed that when my pH is high, right up there @ 8.4, mine finally got bubbly. Generally, I can't get pH up above 8.2 or so unless I monitor and dose aquavitro eight.four almost daily.  

I like it! I had to zoom waaaaay far in to see the teeny tiny frags I sent you :lol:

But I like the placement, I can tell you put some thought into it. 

TheKleinReef
18 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

tank cleaned up nice :), and the painted background sure make those BTA "popped"!  

I know many had said it before, but the bubbles on those nems are just terrific! What's your pH? I've observed that when my pH is high, right up there @ 8.4, mine finally got bubbly. Generally, I can't get pH up above 8.2 or so unless I monitor and dose aquavitro eight.four almost daily.  

PH usually swings between 8.2 and 8.48

17 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

Looks fantastic!!! Really cleaned things up.

Yep yep. I'm really liking the look. 

2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I like it! I had to zoom waaaaay far in to see the teeny tiny frags I sent you :lol:

But I like the placement, I can tell you put some thought into it. 

Only a few minutes of thought. Hahah. They all look pretty decent except the elk horn, it didn't like the dip. Paled out on me. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Job offer! Time to start planning and collecting equipment! :D

Woo hoo, congratulations! omgomgomg

Will you be closer to home? 

• 1 month later...

Leopard wrasses I know are okay in pretty large groups, coris wrasses I'm not sure. Chalk bass are the same way, but I don't know if you can mix them with other ones - I would be hesitant to do that since other basslets are a lot more expensive than them :D

On 9/18/2017 at 12:09 AM, TheKleinReef said:

could I have a tank with 5 or so of each?

I guess that would depend on the size of the tank. :)  10 wrasses in this tank would be rather cramped and you'd be supplementing pods on a daily basis if you wanted any. haha. 

On 9/19/2017 at 3:41 AM, 4x5 said:

I guess that would depend on the size of the tank. :)  10 wrasses in this tank would be rather cramped and you'd be supplementing pods on a daily basis if you wanted any. haha. 

I'm hoping for a 80+g but yeah 10 does seem excessive now that I think about it. maybe 5 wrasses total is more realistic. 

• 3 weeks later...

Life update:

I'm still in a rental house that doesn't allow pets or "water hold furniture" so I'm assuming that means aquariums.

I have a consult for surgery on 10/23 regarding my torn hip labrum and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) yippee. 

Surgery is likely going to be in late October or early November.

I'll be unable to work after surgery for a few months. yippee.

To keep my mind occupied I've been planning a future tank. 

It's likely going to be pretty budget friendly, it will not be my forever tank.

Option 1: Uber simple

20L c canister filter

Radion + mp10 + apex module

Apex

2 BRS dosing pumps programmed  to auto change water ~1g per day. one to pump water out and another to pump water in. 

Not quite sure how to ensure it's perfectly even.

Small ATO

Option 2: simple but upgradeable

20Lor even 40B with my old CPR overflow and sump at home.

radion + mp10 + apex module

New apex + equipment for an (auto) waterchange system.

for the WC system I'm debating on just using a valve to drain the water and using an optical/float sensor attached to a pump to have the pump turn on until the sensor is activated or have 2 pumps (one to pump the water out and another to pump the water in, still using a sensor to prevent over filling).

2 pumps would be much easier to make truly automated, but I'm not sure how to make sure both pumps are pumping equally. The goal is 2g per day. 

Option 3: stop messing with mini setups and save up for forever-tank (36x36x18)

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

This option only IF you're gonna buy a house that you'd be in it for a long haul.  Moving a major system seems like a major chore. 

Otherwise try to play around with 40B, I'm curious to see what you'll come up with. I'd use Markalot's 40B as the inspirational goal :P

My wife and I settled on what we called a 5-year home, 3 years into it, our position on that hasn't changed.  So I'm stuck with my AIO in the basement for the next two years until we buy our next house.  But I might upgrade to a 40B in the meantime. We'll see. 

wish you the best on the hip surgery...

Just now, micoastreefing said:

This option only IF you're gonna buy a house that you'd be in it for a long haul.  Moving a major system seems like a major chore. 

Otherwise try to play around with 40B, I'm curious to see what you'll come up with. I'd use Markalot's 40B as the inspirational goal :P

My wife and I settled on what we called a 5-year home, 3 years into it, our position on that hasn't changed.  So I'm stuck with my AIO in the basement for the next two years until we buy our next house.  But I might upgrade to a 40B in the meantime. We'll see. 

wish you the best on the hip surgery...

Thank yah.

I won't be moving anything, it'll be a brand new system. The 65g is staying in Illinois unless the parents don't want it. Then I'll break it down, use what I can/want, and sell what I don't.  Part of me wants something small and simple while being simultaneously high tech and automated. I don't really want a big big tank right now.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I vote for a 20L or something close !!! I havent ever really said much on this thread,but will miss this piece of work if it is to get broken down. 

Well it’s technically not my tank, if it’s does stay up it’ll probably be kept low and softy dominate 

1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

Life update:

I'm still in a rental house that doesn't allow pets or "water hold furniture" so I'm assuming that means aquariums.

I have a consult for surgery on 10/23 regarding my torn hip labrum and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) yippee. 

Surgery is likely going to be in late October or early November.

I'll be unable to work after surgery for a few months. yippee.

To keep my mind occupied I've been planning a future tank. 

It's likely going to be pretty budget friendly, it will not be my forever tank.

Option 1: Uber simple

20L c canister filter

Radion + mp10 + apex module

Apex

2 BRS dosing pumps programmed  to auto change water ~1g per day. one to pump water out and another to pump water in. 

Not quite sure how to ensure it's perfectly even.

Small ATO

Option 2: simple but upgradeable

20Lor even 40B with my old CPR overflow and sump at home.

radion + mp10 + apex module

New apex + equipment for an (auto) waterchange system.

for the WC system I'm debating on just using a valve to drain the water and using an optical/float sensor attached to a pump to have the pump turn on until the sensor is activated or have 2 pumps (one to pump the water out and another to pump the water in, still using a sensor to prevent over filling).

2 pumps would be much easier to make truly automated, but I'm not sure how to make sure both pumps are pumping equally. The goal is 2g per day. 

Thanks

Also debating on doing a simple AIO rather than a 20L for option 1

auto water change option could be one pump on timer to drain for set amount of time , second pump set to refil immediately after but ran with float switch to only replace what was drained. Use apex to disable normal ato when exchange occurs. 

• Like 1