Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

GTi's 30 LED Build Thread - BioCube 29

GTi

How are you liking the color combo?

Sorry for the delayed reply - I thought the thread had died!

I like the colour balance. I am currently running the blue circuits (RB, B, UV) at 65% and the white circuit at 40%. I was running a little higher but dialled it back a bit because I am getting some algae on the rock and sand (supplemental cuc on the way from reefcleaners!).

All the colours on thecoral and fish in the tank show up nicely. I would post another photo but they never look like the real thing and I don't have the skills to photoshop them to look representative!

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit of an update. Everything is working well and looking good. I found the larger fan controlled the temperatures well but was a little noisy. As it was so efficient at pulling the heat out, it cycled on and off a lot and with the noise, it was a bit intrusive. Not as loud as the stock fans but as it cycled on and off it was noticeable. I put in the low noise adapter resistor that came with the fan and it is much quieter as it runs at a lower speed. It still cools effectively but is very unobtrusive when it switches on and off.

The Typhon LED controller is still just sitting next to the tank. It is all wired up and working but is still in need of a housing. It seems none of the Arduino-specific project boxes will fit and all of the off the shelf boxes I have found are the wrong size. I have decided to use some left over lexan that I have to make a box. The other issue is that when it is in a box, the buttons are inaccessible unless you do some fancy work with extenders. I am planning to either make the box very easy to open so I can remove the Typhon for adjusting the settings (which should be rare) or just have holes above the buttons so I can use a toothpick to press the buttons.

20120310_115826_zps8c71b9f6.jpg

The current set up - not good!

I'll post some photos when I am done.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered 2 red and 2 turquoise LEDs from Ledgroupbuy and they arrived yesterday. I am going to install them to see if they add a bit more colour to the tank. Planning to do this later, after my son's soccer practice.

At the weekend there was a rock at the LFS covered in tiny Rasta Zoas at a great price. They need some TLC to plump them up but I have fragged a few off on to plugs already and put a few in my Pico tank, too. I plan to sell/trade the rest once they are looking decent.

Last week the cooling fan stopped working for no apparent reason. Power supply was good, so I assumed it was the controller as another fan plugged in to it wasn't working either. I bought all of those supplies from the coolerguys in November and despite 2 emails over 3 business days they did not reply to my inquiry. I won't be giving them any more of my business. On the bright side, I tried plugging the fan in today and it worked! Odd, but I'll take it!

• 1 month later...

Well, I have been neglecting this thread! I got the exta LEDs in and they definitely bring out more colours.

2012_03_31_1483_zpsbbab4027.jpg

This was about a month ago.

• 4 months later...
Show us some pics of the fixture with the new LEDs!

I'd like to see that!

I just spaced the new leds out on the heatsink and wired them in with the blues. I no longer have the biocube - I stepped up to a 55 rimless. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived