Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Ultimate EDGE LED setup.....

MFChop

I just bought the largest heatsink I could stuff in the canopy from heatsinkusa. Even at 70% it STILL gets very hot, almost too hot to hold. MFchop I dont see how yours doesnt get this hot.

Im thinking it perhaps because I have the stars set up in tight clusters of three actually touching. Maybe keeping three of them so close is causing the heat issue.

Milad do you know if I could wire a 120mm computer fan into this setup (inline) without needing any further drivers?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I just bought the largest heatsink I could stuff in the canopy from heatsinkusa. Even at 70% it STILL gets very hot, almost too hot to hold. MFchop I dont see how yours doesnt get this hot.

Im thinking it perhaps because I have the stars set up in tight clusters of three actually touching. Maybe keeping three of them so close is causing the heat issue.

Milad do you know if I could wire a 120mm computer fan into this setup (inline) without needing any further drivers?

Are you using a DIM4? It can run a fan on one of the Relay channels (RL1 or RL3)

Are you using a DIM4? It can run a fan on one of the Relay channels (RL1 or RL3)

Unfortunately no, I have just the following...

1x Inventronics 25w driver - 700mA

3x CREE XP-G White Neutral White (4500K)

6x CREE XT-E Royal Blue

Just wasnt sure if they 25w driver had enough juice to power a fan.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Unfortunately no, I have just the following...

1x Inventronics 25w driver - 700mA

3x CREE XP-G White Neutral White (4500K)

6x CREE XT-E Royal Blue

Just wasnt sure if they 25w driver had enough juice to power a fan.

Yes and more. It will instantly blow the fan.

You need a 12V power supply.

• 1 month later...

Very nice tank with excellent lights.

I have a similar aquarium and just recently updated the lights and the manual switch.

However I had a lower budget and I wanted to spend just around 50$ for everything :)

You can see how I don on this website: Fluval Edge 2 DIY Lighting System Upgrade with LED light and Timer

At the end of the post I added your solution as well since I consider the controller you have is very nice and it's the best option for reed aquariums.

post-75495-1342446972_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

peter

• 3 months later...

Update:

Everything has been running fantastic

One of my RB crapped out (salt creep) So im replacing 3 RB with a 3Up 2xRB 1xNW and adding a OCW on to the 4th empty channel.

DIM4 only thing I wish this had was an "all on" button or a 5th channel that could run one solo moonlight....

As far as operation it has been flawless...

Ill post up new picks when I receive the new LEDs from Milad

You could possibly run a single, dedicated low-power LED as a moonlight with a fixed resistor & no dimming off one of the two relay channels. Given how nice a job you did on maintaining the Edge's "look" It might mess with your setup's layout too much, but maybe an option?

You could possibly run a single, dedicated low-power LED as a moonlight with a fixed resistor & no dimming off one of the two relay channels. Given how nice a job you did on maintaining the Edge's "look" It might mess with your setup's layout too much, but maybe an option?

Yes very true, except Milad doesn't have one lol..

• 3 months later...

Sorry for this newb question. Im totally new to DIY leds. Do i need a driver if i bought the dim4? Im building a pico tank and was thinking 6 -3 watt bulbs on a 3g marineland eclipse tank..

Some say is overkill. Im planning to have zoas and torches only. Can someone point me into the right direction? Can i buy the moonlight drivers and still dim them

I did a build like yours before I saw your build. Now im wanting to build another edge with a Dim4 I have some questions tho. I want to use a dim4 but do I need buck puck dimm drivers? I want 3 hyper violets,3 royal blues, 3 comon blues,1coral white and 1 royal blue for moon light. Could the dim4 handle those? If so what do I need? Exactly is it to much for the Dim4? Do I even need the buck pucks? Any help would be great thank you.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

I did a build like yours before I saw your build. Now im wanting to build another edge with a Dim4 I have some questions tho. I want to use a dim4 but do I need buck puck dimm drivers? I want 3 hyper violets,3 royal blues, 3 comon blues,1coral white and 1 royal blue for moon light. Could the dim4 handle those? If so what do I need? Exactly is it to much for the Dim4? Do I even need the buck pucks? Any help would be great thank you.

You dont need additional items when you use the DIM4

You can set it up like this:

CH1 3 hyper violets

CH2 3 Royal Blues

CH3 3 Cool Blues

CH4 1 OCW

Issue is if this is for a reef, you still need some neutral whites.

You dont need additional items when you use the DIM4

You can set it up like this:

CH1 3 hyper violets

CH2 3 Royal Blues

CH3 3 Cool Blues

CH4 1 OCW

Issue is if this is for a reef, you still need some neutral whites.

So the hyper violets dont replace the nutral whites? Other question I have is do I just need a power supply for the dim4 and a buckpuck dimmable driver for the nutral whites? So the Dim4 could be set to run different voltage or should I say amps??? I def. want a dim4 but I want to get it wright the first time so maybe 3rb,3cb,3hv,3nw?
Hinesassociates

Milad or MFChop or anyone else who might know this,

I finally got around to setting up my DIM4 and LED's in basically the same setup as you have here. I am having a slight issue with my DIM4 though. I am not sure if it is something I did wrong or a bad controller, but for some reason I am not able to go above 3.1v or more specifically above 185 drv on any channel. When I go up past there it jumps to 9.8v and the lights get really bright for half a second and shuts off. Any ideas?

Hinesassociates

Milad or MFChop or anyone else who might know this,

I finally got around to setting up my DIM4 and LED's in basically the same setup as you have here. I am having a slight issue with my DIM4 though. I am not sure if it is something I did wrong or a bad controller, but for some reason I am not able to go above 3.1v or more specifically above 185 drv on any channel. When I go up past there it jumps to 9.8v and the lights get really bright for half a second and shuts off. Any ideas?

Thanks to Milad I got this figured out. It was a incorrect wiring issue. All is working now and the good news is I dont think I damaged the Dim4.

Just an update, for a few months now Ive been running just 6 LEDs 3 RB and 3 NW and the growth has been spectacular. I still have the OCW that I may add to boost the spectrum but for now I dont wanna mess with a good thing

• 2 weeks later...

I just took off my Edge's arm off today because I finally got sick of it being there and doing nothing. I'm using a mini coralife light, and I'm looking to add some LEDs to the mix. Right now, I only have lr/ls, some zoas, and a damsel that was given to me. I'm still trying to figure out what to do to cover the filter area to make it look better, again.

I'm assuming you mean from him? lol. Also, I'm looking for some clear acrylic blocks to set my light up on so that it's not just sitting on the opening to the edge. >.> I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing yet. I don't know soldering, wiring, or anything like that so I was trying to come up with the easiest way for my tank to be lit. :P

I'm assuming you mean from him? lol. Also, I'm looking for some clear acrylic blocks to set my light up on so that it's not just sitting on the opening to the edge. >.> I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing yet. I don't know soldering, wiring, or anything like that so I was trying to come up with the easiest way for my tank to be lit. :P
It isnt hard to solder .. If a 6 year girl could do it .. 4rb,2tv,2cw,2cb,2rp and two buck pucks and you have some killer lighting. Pm your email ill send you pics of ideas
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, great forum, it has inspired me to build a DIY lighting rig, at the moment (after salt creep destroyed my Fluval LED's) I am resting 2 tube lights on top of my tank which I have covered in tin foil, looks awful. I have removed the glass top from my 6g fluval edge for 2 reasons, oxygen transfer and the fact that you need to be a contortionist to clean them properly. I miss the look as the glass roof makes the tank really unique but I need a tank that I can clean quickly (first child on the way so spare time is rare). I was concerned about the integrity of the tank but it's still completely solid and still looks great. I have ordered the following items from LED Group Buy to construct a new LED light.

1 x Heatsink 5.886 inch

(Length (Inches): 3)

1 x 4 pin Molex to 3 pin fan

1 x Fan 80mm

1 x 12V 5A Power supply w/4PIN molex connector

1 x DIM4 - 4 Port LED Sunrise/Sunset Controller V1.0

1 x CREE XP-E Blue

(Quantity in Package: Single LED)

4 x CREE XT-E Royal Blue

1 x Solid Wire 24awg (300 volt) - 25 feet - Black

2 x CREE XM-L White

(Color: Neutral White (5000K) - T5, Quantity in Package: Single LED)

1 x CREE XM-L White

(Color: Warm White (3200K) - T3, Quantity in Package: Single LED)

2 x BERGQUIST Thermal Adhesive 20mm Star - 6 Pack

1 x Soldering Iron 60w

1 x Solder Tube 10g (63/37)

I have emailed LED group buy the following questions but thought I would share my queries on this forum, could anybody answer the following questions? I obviously don't want to overload my DIM4 board so only advise if you are confident that I won't fry my board please!

A) (preference) can I run 2 royal blue CT-E and one 80mm fan from one DIM4 channel?

B) by using the 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan adaptor, will I have a spare output that I can connect a fan to?

Can't wait to get this baby up and running, I'll post some pics once it arrives, I'm in the UK so probably have to wait a month for delivery.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Hi guys, great forum, it has inspired me to build a DIY lighting rig, at the moment (after salt creep destroyed my Fluval LED's) I am resting 2 tube lights on top of my tank which I have covered in tin foil, looks awful. I have removed the glass top from my 6g fluval edge for 2 reasons, oxygen transfer and the fact that you need to be a contortionist to clean them properly. I miss the look as the glass roof makes the tank really unique but I need a tank that I can clean quickly (first child on the way so spare time is rare). I was concerned about the integrity of the tank but it's still completely solid and still looks great. I have ordered the following items from LED Group Buy to construct a new LED light.

1 x Heatsink 5.886 inch

(Length (Inches): 3)

1 x 4 pin Molex to 3 pin fan

1 x Fan 80mm

1 x 12V 5A Power supply w/4PIN molex connector

1 x DIM4 - 4 Port LED Sunrise/Sunset Controller V1.0

1 x CREE XP-E Blue

4 x CREE XT-E Royal Blue

1 x Solid Wire 24awg (300 volt) - 25 feet - Black

2 x CREE XM-L White

(Color: Neutral White (5000K) - T5, Quantity in Package: Single LED)

1 x CREE XM-L White

(Color: Warm White (3200K) - T3, Quantity in Package: Single LED)

2 x BERGQUIST Thermal Adhesive 20mm Star - 6 Pack

1 x Soldering Iron 60w

1 x Solder Tube 10g (63/37)

I have emailed LED group buy the following questions but thought I would share my queries on this forum, could anybody answer the following questions? I obviously don't want to overload my DIM4 board so only advise if you are confident that I won't fry my board please!

A) (preference) can I run 2 royal blue CT-E and one 80mm fan from one DIM4 channel?

B) by using the 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan adaptor, will I have a spare output that I can connect a fan to?

Can't wait to get this baby up and running, I'll post some pics once it arrives, I'm in the UK so probably have to wait a month for delivery.

looks good but you need 1 more led so you have at least 3 per channel

also the 4 pin connector will leave you an extra space for another fan but the relay channels on the DIM4 can run all your fans when the LEDs are on automatically.

Archived