Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Ultimate EDGE LED setup.....

MFChop

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Just got my LEDs and DIM4 in the mail today. Can't wait to get it set up :D

I smell a competing build thread to MFChop's. It all comes down to the pictures at the end and MFChop hasnt posted his DIM4 enclosure so you have a chance to overrun him!

• 2 weeks later...
I smell a competing build thread to MFChop's. It all comes down to the pictures at the end and MFChop hasnt posted his DIM4 enclosure so you have a chance to overrun him!

Haha I had one pic on my comp, I added it to the OP

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to set up my first reef with a 6g edge. This seems like the ideal solution to keep the tank stock.

Milad what would it cost to run this without the DIM4? The upfront cost for this setup is too high for me. Perhaps I could add later.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I'd like to set up my first reef with a 6g edge. This seems like the ideal solution to keep the tank stock.

Milad what would it cost to run this without the DIM4? The upfront cost for this setup is too high for me. Perhaps I could add later.

Cheapest still decent way (that allows you to upgrade later) is to run all the LEDs on just one driver (25w Inventroincs 700mA). You can dim still but it dims all the LEDs instead of just one color.

• 2 weeks later...
I typed this on my phone so I apologize if it looks a little screwey.

Chop...I'm comin' for you...Just kidding. I am actually interested in the build above and am putting my Edge II build together. I fired up the lights-4-3ups 2-turquoise 1-DeepRed in the center and 2-TrueViolets. I did order 2 more TrueViolets and a dim4 yesterday. I have my lights on a ~8"x6" sink that fits inside the hood. I'm doing away with the arm however more because of mechanical issues with it than anything. I will start a thread with pics hopefully tonight maybe it will help others as you and others have helped me.

;):angry::angry:

Ordered my LED's! Thanks to MFChop for the inspiration and Milad for the LED help.

1x Inventronics 25w driver - 700mA

3x CREE XP-G White Neutral White (4500K)

6x CREE XT-E Royal Blue

1x 10K Ohm 1/2 watt Linear Taper Potentiometer Easy Solder

I'm going to weld 2 pentium II heatsinks together to spread the light as much as possible in the tank.

Once I get the lights I'll start my tank thread.

How is your 6g coming along? Any video?

Once my lights come in Im going to start mine up. I've read so many posts from people just starting tanks only to realize they've done everything wrong, I'm trying to avoid the pitfalls.

Are there any big lessons you've learned or things you would have done differently with this tank?

How is your 6g coming along? Any video?

Once my lights come in Im going to start mine up. I've read so many posts from people just starting tanks only to realize they've done everything wrong, I'm trying to avoid the pitfalls.

Are there any big lessons you've learned or things you would have done differently with this tank?

I kinda wish i knew what I was getting into with the lighting cause its the biggest hump, other than that is been running smoothly

Cheapest still decent way (that allows you to upgrade later) is to run all the LEDs on just one driver (25w Inventroincs 700mA). You can dim still but it dims all the LEDs instead of just one color.

I just received my order from www.ledgroupbuy.com (thanks Milad) but it occurs to me I have no idea how to wire this up. Your website has some links to make magazine but they dont show an actual diagram. I've done some soldering and basic house wiring but never wired up a pot before. Any simple diagram somewhere you know about I can refer to?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I just received my order from www.ledgroupbuy.com (thanks Milad) but it occurs to me I have no idea how to wire this up. Your website has some links to make magazine but they dont show an actual diagram. I've done some soldering and basic house wiring but never wired up a pot before. Any simple diagram somewhere you know about I can refer to?

Are you wiring the DIM4? or just a driver?

I have the following...

6x CREE XT-E Royal Blue

so I imagine its a pretty simple series, all LED's on a single string with just 1 driver/dimmer. Im just unsure how to wire in the pot. The only diagrams I can find show how to do it with 2 drivers/dimmers on 2 strands where they seem like theyre all wired in together.

I'm just looking for a diagram with single strand and pot.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I have the following...

6x CREE XT-E Royal Blue

so I imagine its a pretty simple series, all LED's on a single string with just 1 driver/dimmer. Im just unsure how to wire in the pot. The only diagrams I can find show how to do it with 2 drivers/dimmers on 2 strands where they seem like theyre all wired in together.

I'm just looking for a diagram with single strand and pot.

Thats in the inventroincs documentation

Grab the pot in your hand, point the solder leads to the ground and from left to right the colors from the driver to the pot should be:

green, purple, yellow

The leds get wired from the thin black/red wires in series (positive from driver (red wire) goes to positive of first led, negative of first LED goes to positive of second led, and so on until you get to the negative of last LED which goes to negative of driver (black wire).

Then the thick black/white wire go to your AC plug.

Simple setup, dont over think it.

AND NEVER connect the driver to the power until all the LEDs are fully connected and you done a diode test. If you remove power to the string then add power to the string, it will blow your LEDs. You need to make sure everything is secure before giving it power.

Grab the pot in your hand, point the solder leads to the ground and from left to right the colors from the driver to the pot should be:

green, purple, yellow

Not trying to be a wise guy, but when I point the pot leads to the ground, is that with the dial facing me or away from me?

Cant find the inventronics docs, keep getting service unavailable on their links.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Not trying to be a wise guy, but when I point the pot leads to the ground, is that with the dial facing me or away from me?

Cant find the inventronics docs, keep getting service unavailable on their links.

Dial facing you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Milad, I have it working now, all went well with no blowouts.

MFChop how hot does your heatsink get? I used the same PII heatsink you did AND welded half of a second PII heatsink to it for better coverage. With all of that the heatsink gets to be 120 degrees on some parts after about 40 minutes on. I can hold the edges with my hands but its uncomfortable.

Milad is that too hot for the LED's? Do I need to add a fan?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Thanks Milad, I have it working now, all went well with no blowouts.

MFChop how hot does your heatsink get? I used the same PII heatsink you did AND welded half of a second PII heatsink to it for better coverage. With all of that the heatsink gets to be 120 degrees on some parts after about 40 minutes on. I can hold the edges with my hands but its uncomfortable.

Milad is that too hot for the LED's? Do I need to add a fan?

I would recommend a fan. The cooler the LEDs, the better.

Yeah use a fan, The heatsink I guess at the time was "top of the line" and cools very well without a fan. I only have 9 LEDs too mind you.

I only have 9 LEDs too mind you.

I have the same number and type of LED's you do, plus a 50% larger heatsink. I noticed that yours is a kind of yellowish color. Was this an aftermarket unit? If so I may switch, but I find it hard to believe that one would be so much cooler than another. Are you running all the LED's at 100% at any point?

It's a bummer becasue I REALLY dont want the noise/evaporation of a fan, it would have to be 120mm to be quiet enough and thats going to be a tough squeeze. I'm already having a hard time figuring out where to put the driver.

Yeah its actually a gold color originally, as I said it was an aftermarket high end heatsink....

No I am not running them at 100% either, I cant remember the exact MAX voltage Im running

Running mine at 70% (16 watts down from its 23w max) and its very manageable. I'm hoping thats enough to get the job done. The tank is only like 9" deep.

If you happen to mess with your DIMM4 in the near future let me know what your max is. I'd be curious.

Archived