Cultivated Reef

The Ultimate EDGE LED setup.....

MFChop

oooh, I like your rock! I just hacked up the plastic top/screen for the top of mine.

Thanks Shinynic, my PH has improved massively and cleaning is so much easier, had to mod the light cover a little to hang correctly but it looks good, bit like its floating! I'll upload another pic of my mod, I've used a bigger Heat Sink that I pulled out of an old amplifier and screwed it to the lid so it lifts off as a whole unit rather than hinging, gives me more of an opportunity to add led's to create different moods, I've got another 4 XP-E's coming from Hong Kong! I'm considering a 4th row, not sure what colour, I'll have to do a bit more investigation!

May I add, the dim4 is an incredible addition to the lighting rig, I've seen good reviews but I never expected it to be so accurate and easy to use. The package only took 11 days from The US too which was unexpected, I had to pay £11 import tax which I wasn't aware of but I probably should have expected this. Thanks LED Groupbuy, my hermit's are grateful :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks good but you need 1 more led so you have at least 3 per channel

also the 4 pin connector will leave you an extra space for another fan but the relay channels on the DIM4 can run all your fans when the LEDs are on automatically.

Thanks Milad, I'm up and running and it's looking great. Thanks for all your help so far, I'm considering adding another 3 led's, I've got 2nw 1ww, 3rb, 3xp-e blue. Could you suggest another colour led that I could add to the mix? Thanks

Nighttime (with house lights on too)

Daytime

That looks really nice! I have a thread somewhere on here. I'm adding more coral over the weekend. So excited! I can't wait to see what else you do to yours.

6 LED's attached to the lid with room for a fan in between, also has room for another 6 led's which I will use for moonlight setting.

post-79588-0-42732000-1366322619_thumb.jpg

I personally never liked the lid to the edge, I don't know why. so I chopped mine in half and set a mini coralife light on the rim that I'm adding leds to in the next week. I just gotta figure out how to neatly drill out a hole in the light fixture for the power cord...I'm not good with power tools.

Looking good on the lights! did you solder those on? Can't wait to see the moonlights, too.

Just used thermal pads from GroupBuyLED. Really sticky and are holding great, my lid has a spot of rust so I'm going to paint it again, I'm thinking of adding an external protein skimmer, I don't want one that hangs as I want it completely seperate, struggling to find one that's no too big!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Thanks Milad, I'm up and running and it's looking great. Thanks for all your help so far, I'm considering adding another 3 led's, I've got 2nw 1ww, 3rb, 3xp-e blue. Could you suggest another colour led that I could add to the mix? Thanks

Thats a good mix. You could add a couple 495nm turquoise to the mix.

• 3 months later...

Hey folks, this setup is still running strong.

As far as the LEDs go Im still only running 3 Royal and 3 Neutral White. I have been hesitant about adding the OCW LED as I have been getting great growth and I dont wanna mess with it.

The controller is great I have found though that the internal clock is slightly fast and needs to be adjust back a few minutes from time to time. However other than that its ran perfectly..

• 1 year later...
williams_eric

Okay gents, I have loved reading this topic for the past hour or so. Thanks so very much for paving the way, brainstorming, and being creative. One question...

...it's August 2014. This topic is now three years old. Is the Dim4 and Cree LED still a strong solution for a Fluval Edge 12? What would you change if you were to do the build now?

I am in the process of some custom mods. Additional filtration is my target right now. I created a custom overflow and compartment which fits into the back column. Still some work to do. Lighting upgrade on the horizon.

Here is a pic of the flow...

post-85539-0-66595200-1408937614_thumb.jpg
  • 4 months later...

Archived