Top Shelf Aquatics

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

current acans

Those are some beautiful pictures. I am still experimenting so I'm not getting out of control buying the really vibrant and more expensive ones - want to see how they do in the tank. But i really like the colors of yours.

Also I need to get a shot with my Canon not my cell

My newest frag - several heads on it - This was awfully purple in the LFS tank - waiting to see it fully opened up.

IMAG0580.jpg

My other Acan (now has 2 heads)

IMAG0516.jpg

makes me hungry...

Which reminds me...

What do you feed your Acans; do you?

How Often?

How has it helped/hurt?

and lastly...

What lights are you using?

Example*

-Thera Med Fish Pellets and Green Coral Powder (mixed with water)

-2-3 times a week

-Better color and decent growth

-3 Rapid Led Par 38's (soon will be getting Kessil 15k)

Thanks, hopefully with this collaborative data we will be able to see what works and what doesn't :D

-Spencer

Edited by Spencer7

- I feed them an alternation of Mysis Shrimp (frozen then thawed in Tank Water) and new life spectrum reef micro feeder

How Often?

- I try to find them every other day.

How has it helped/hurt?

- Unsure yet as I just got them. However I've read it helps them grow.

- I'm using T5HO Lights. 4x54w bulbs (2 white 2 blue)

Yes I feed mine

Mysis/brine mix, spectrum pellets thrown in

2 times a week

Definatly helps growth, lotta new polyps on my frags

Ecoxotic Stunner LEds 2shades of blue, magenta cool white

Placed midtank in biocube 14, medium/med low flow.

I have noticed growth, polyps are bigger, and color is brighter after I started feeding. They now let me know when its time to eat, I think they benifit a lot more then people think from feedings.

Just got my first Acan..... Red and Blue from LFS... $$ Mid level of 29 Biocube with Ecoxotic Pano pros 12K Blue and Blue Magenta.. Swells with feeding and Light... Not as fun to watch as some of the corals but may hav to have more than 3.5 polyps to be hooked....

Im jealous of all his acans! It inspires me! The one that was my smallest is quickly becoming the largest acan I have, the flow brings him pellets when I feed my fish, and it was a pale blue when it arrived but im starting to see slight pink in it, im hoping it turns out to be like his pink and teal, that one is beautiful!

Okay, i have 1 small Acan frag. Came as 1 1/2 mouths and has grown lots of small mouths surrounding the 2 originals.

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics, I'm working on a nicer camera.

My question is, will anyone provide an opinion as to what you think is going on?? Please, i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Below is a picture of when i first got the Acan. It was a deep red with blue/purple around the edges. It was in a very deep tank at the LFS with i am assuming not a very strong light.

1c1ce9ca.jpg

Here is a picture now. (about 2 months later) Its a little mad right now from my peppermint trampling it... The Acan has completely lost its red color. It is an orange now with pink towards the mouth, and green on the outside flesh. Could it be a rainbow, or is it just screwy colors because it is under a par38? Which has proven to be a pretty intense light on my set-up. (JBJ Picotope) I have been feeding it brine shrimp a couple times a week.

a08c8038.jpg

Thanks everyone!!

I do feed mine, usually frozen mysis or cyclopeeze. I think I might try some NLS 1mm pellets as a few of my other corals like them.

How Often?

Two or three times a week.

How has it helped/hurt?

I have noticed they puff up more and seem to be growing faster. Colour looks about the same.

Custom LED fixture. 24:12 RB:NW

Placement?

Presently on the sand bed, but I am considering trying to get them to encrust onto my rock.

Edited by Cintax

Pico Bay, that happens under LED's

I have Par 38's and it has turned red orange many times, my original orange and blue used to be something like red and purple, as long as the acan is growing it's is healthy and fine

The orange is just a small consequence of LED's

Im also interested in this color change. I recieved mine through a website, so i never got to see them in the store, however my largest lord was red and blue, its now pink and purple, my smallest had 2 heads and was baby blue and white, now has 12 heads and is light pink and baby blue, and my enchinta has remained orange, and has gone from one mouth to five. All under LEd lighting in my biocube. I have 8k royal blue, deep blue, and magenta Leds. I also feed as mentioned above, but in 2 months they sure seem to grow fast. Please mention any effects light makes on your acans guys and Gals, it can benefit us all! Love this club! Acans Represent! Yay yay. Haha

Pico Bay,

What type par 38? What color spectrums are in use?

It is a RapidLED par38 bulb. Comes with 3 Royal Blue, 1 Blue, 2 Cool White, and 1 Warm White. All CREE XR-E LED's.

Just thought I would show an updated pic of one of my acans, for some reason it has been looking so candy recently (hasnt been showing tentacles and not very puffed up).

005-16.jpg

Edited by Kylebeano

2nd one is my fav, three adequate pics are better than nothing :D

JUST POSTED A TON OF NEW ACAN/CORAL PICS ON THREAD, not trying to plug, there are just a ton and i am too lazy to recopy all :P

Sry

-Spencer B)

That Echinata is pure beauty

Jelly :blush:

Thanks, still deciding how/where I should put it. But its eating and looking colorful on the floor so far. Maybe ill just leave it there.