reefernanoman

Better picture (and manipulation of my phone camera) of my Rainbow Acan :

IMG_20160612_122347.jpg

My green Acan :

IMG_20160612_122521.jpg

Part of my Acan garden :

IMG_20160612_122416.jpg

• Like 4

@aviator300 I'm not sure what will appear just before this but I guess i'll find out. QUESTION. I purchased an ACAN from one of the more exclusive on line vendors and when it arrived it looked vibrant and healthy.

The next day it still looked very colorful but I noticed no polyp extension as I tried to feed it. I investigated further and touched it with a long wooden pic and saw that it was rock solid (still colorful) with no soft tissue on it. The ACAN appeared dead and calcified. Even in this condition, it still looked just like it did in it's WYSIWYG photo.

I notified the vendor and in a couple of days I was sent a replacement but the same thing happened all over again.

All the Zoas I've received from them have been great but the Acans have not. BTW, a Favia a got from them was the same way. At first I thought I might not have been acclimating the Acans enough but then I bought 2 from another vendor that puffed right up a couple hours into the tank.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Im glad i found this Acan club, you may be able to help me.

I have just bought an Acan, but can't remember the name of it. Il try asking my LFS when they open in a couple of days ( they have many varieties some similar colours). Would anyone be able to help id mine.

Here is a pic of it.

Thanks in advance.

post-91020-0-21212400-1467645189_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Ill play a little bit :happy:

Little micro acans, always hungry

20160430_153651_zpstzmuukra.jpg

Fluffy purple/greens

20160617_143128_zpset9wmq2v.jpg

One of my favorite color combinations. Got it as a single polyp but it is finally pushing out some babies

20160617_143203_zpsgzpxpdpb.jpg

Better picture (and manipulation of my phone camera) of my Rainbow Acan :

IMG_20160612_122347.jpg

Very colorful :wub:

Those Rainbow Acans look amazing.

Just to let you know someone on another thread told me mines an Acan Lord.

How fast do they grow? I did notice earlier there is a little baby on the side of one of the polyps.

How can i join your club? :)

• Like 2

Those Rainbow Acans look amazing.

Just to let you know someone on another thread told me mines an Acan Lord.

How fast do they grow? I did notice earlier there is a little baby on the side of one of the polyps.

How can i join your club? :)

Simply post a few pics, answer some fellow hobbyists' questions when you can, and feel free to add the club poster to your sig to help attract other acan junkies!

Acans, and other LPS, are peculiar in that their fleshy polyps can be growth machines--filling in spaces, becoming more dense and voluptuous and so on. That said, they are still limited by a calcium carbonate skeleton so for best growth you still have to keep your Ca, Mg, and Alk parameters in check while spot-feeding. Feeding chunky foods aren't necessary, such as some shrimp or pellets, but can be very helpful (as long as you can handle the bioload) in the first month of receiving a traumatized acan that's maybe lost a few heads and some of its color. Overall, they are not fast growers in my opinion. You do not ever really need to be worried about an acan taking over your space...and this is really something I think people forget to appreciate. Acans are beautifully flexible, you can pick up and move them at a whimsy where other corals will be too attached, too fragile, too unpredictable to handle. What I wish people would do more is place acans on their primary rock work, utilize some of that bare vertical space that really only a nice LPS or plating coral might be able to accent. Nothing is wrong with the sand bed but acans can really color up the rock face and make the space look like a 'real' reef (i.e. MedRed or Mr. Microscope).

In short: It can take years to go from half a baseball to half a cantaloupe but that may not always be what you want...sometimes a garden variety or handful of rock work accents carefully glued to shape can be the piece de resistance

• Like 1

Here are my acans.

This one is in my tank at my parents' house in FL. It is actually my first ever coral.

12898352_1214741505204482_80117015398529

And here are the acans in my tank here in NY.

13614949_1293942963951002_40046476271952

13566958_1293942937284338_84694100411591

13626492_1293942703951028_60057293565355

13620968_1293942583951040_21501508733879

The colors on this one are amazing, but it unfortunately hasn't been doing so well these past few days.

13645162_1293942547284377_70761726692122

• Like 3

Wow, lovely colours, literally all the colours of the rainbow and everything in between!

Thanks Spencer 7, il post some more pics as i go along. Its my first Acan in my new 20 g (4 months in) mixed tank, inc mushrooms, ricordea, gsp, tube anemone, maxi mini, monti cap and seriatopora.

I found a great lfs here in cambridge uk, they have a variety of Acans, hopefully will be adding 2 or 3 more varieties if i have the space.

My Acan is acclimating on a spare flat rock piece on sand bottom, yes definitely would like to have it elevated against rock work.

Will Acans attack each other if different varieties get too close?

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Will Acans attack each other if different varieties get too close?

Yes!

My Micromusa acans have a pretty potent sting compared to my acan lords and they attacked each other when they were about one inch apart. Echinatas are known to be quite nasty as well.

• Like 1

Heres one I picked up a couple weeks ago. I love the color as I have never seen one like this. Iphone pic Is really not a good representation.

IMG_0392_zpsykscywim.jpg

Here is one of my favorites. The orange is super brilliant. I have a bunch that are orange and kinda meh but this one really stands out.

IMG_0391_zpszcoqd1q1.jpg

• Like 2

Yes!

My Micromusa acans have a pretty potent sting compared to my acan lords and they attacked each other when they were about one inch apart. Echinatas are known to be quite nasty as well.

Thats good info to know, thanks.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...