Top Shelf Aquatics

PAYPAL or no transaction

RayWhisperer

This is some advice to everyone dealing here in the Classifieds forums. This isn't a rule, it's just advice.

If you plan to buy something here, it would be wise to do so through Paypal. This won't always protect you from fraud. However, it will protect you to some degree. We have had several members scammed in recent days, so I felt this would be a good idea to post this.

Please, people. It's your money, be cautious with it. We have many fine members here. Most of whom are honest. Just do a bit of searching in the Vendor/Trader Feedback forum as well as the Classified forums. This will give you an idea if the member you are planning to deal with is trustworthy.

• 6 months later...
albertthiel

Thank you and I was not aware members were being scammed so this is very good advice indeed.

Appreciate it ... and since I do have an account with them I will use that method from now on.

Albert

This is some advice to everyone dealing here in the Classifieds forums. This isn't a rule, it's just advice.

If you plan to buy something here, it would be wise to do so through Paypal. This won't always protect you from fraud. However, it will protect you to some degree. We have had several members scammed in recent days, so I felt this would be a good idea to post this.

Please, people. It's your money, be cautious with it. We have many fine members here. Most of whom are honest. Just do a bit of searching in the Vendor/Trader Feedback forum as well as the Classified forums. This will give you an idea if the member you are planning to deal with is trustworthy.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
returnofsid

Never allow a seller to talk you into sending funds as a gift! Doing so is a way of avoiding Paypal's marginal fees, however, Paypal will not help you, in the event of a problem, if you've 'gifted' the money. Sellers, build the paypal fees into the price...

• 5 months later...

It is one of the safest ways to go, depending on the item I have asked that it be listed on ebay so that I get their protection as well even if I have to pay a couple extra bucks to cover their fees.

• 1 month later...
jakal112233

I used paypal a couple of years ago on this site to order some frags. To make a long story short, I sent this person my money, never got my frags. I opened up a case against this person and won. After winning the case, PayPal told me that there was no money in their paypal account and that there was nothing they could do. To this day I still dont see any reason to use PayPal. They were not able to do anything for me and I lost my money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
I used paypal a couple of years ago on this site to order some frags. To make a long story short, I sent this person my money, never got my frags. I opened up a case against this person and won. After winning the case, PayPal told me that there was no money in their paypal account and that there was nothing they could do. To this day I still dont see any reason to use PayPal. They were not able to do anything for me and I lost my money.
paypal sends you money back and sends the seller to collections... In a nut shell.
  • Like 1

Paypal has changed this policy. I know of a few early cases like you years back. They push their buyer protection too much these days to not have you covered 100%. Seller protection is a another entity entirely.....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
albertthiel

I think they changed their policy and will now refund you anyway and go after the member who did not "deliver" even if they have no money and put them with a collection agency and report it to the credit bureaus so things have IMO changed a lot and they now offer a lot more protection ... In fact a few weeks ago I noticed the Xanga charged me for a service I had not ordered and had done so last year in August as well, also not at my request, and I got a refund immediately for 2 times $15 on the spot while I was talking to them on the phone, and as I said 1 charge was going back to August of last year.

• 6 months later...

Just a suggestion of a way I have been Paypal'n people.

Most NR sellers don't want to pay fees so you are asked to send as a gift. If sent as a gift you get zero protection if your sale doesn't go in your favor.

So I offer this-

I pay for the item and have the seller accept the fees (usually $2 or $3) but I do not pay for shipping.

I make a second payment for the shipping cost plus the fees as a gift. You can even refer to your purchase transaction number in the notes field if you feel needed.

I may spend a few extra dollars but have the protection of Paypal for the item(s) purchased. Once in Paypal it only takes a few seconds to make the second payment.

Just thought I would offer to any that are wary of PayPal purchases. There are many great sellers on NR your tank will Thank You!

• Like 4
  • Recommended Discussions