Top Shelf Aquatics

PAYPAL or no transaction

RayWhisperer

I've been a PayPal customer for over 10 years now. As convenient their service is, i grew to completely despise it and avoid them at any cost, due to their bullsh*t shenanigans, despite literally a thousand of legit transactions that i've made with them.

I sold an iPad on eBay about a year ago, and on top of being charged close to 20% of selling price by eBay AND PayPal, I did not get my money for almost 3 months after the purchase. The chick who bought the iPad has recently moved, but did not update her shipping address on either PayPal or eBay sites, until 2 days after I shipped the iPad to her. Sent me a nastygram calling me names, disputed PayPal transaction, reported me to eBay Safe Harbor for fraud.... What saved me, is a habit of taking screenshots of interactions with buyers/sellers on eBay, because it has previously saved my ass couple of times before.

Anyway, after almost 3 months I managed to get my money from PayPal. After that I got an email from that stupid chick promising to file a "class action lawsuit" against me. Haven't heard from her since.

"class action lawsuit"

clearly she doesn't know what a class action lawsuit is. my guess is some teenie was trying to get something for nothing and you called em on the carpet over it.

I agree, Paypal can be a PITA, but it has saved my ass on a few occasions.

clearly she doesn't know what a class action lawsuit is. my guess is some teenie was trying to get something for nothing and you called em on the carpet over it.

I agree, Paypal can be a PITA, but it has saved my ass on a few occasions.

class action lawsuit LOL i would have said BRING IT ON :D ....I once had someone pull that on me years ago when I denied to service their computers (i owned a IT consulting company at the time) due to hostile work place for my techs, that guy was such an ass.

But just like with anything there are pros/cons with it. I always try to find local. Like last night my microwave blowup, found the same model and picked it up for $15 guy was nice. But on here I try to ask many questions and review their other items they have sold to try and get some feedback if they are good or not.

Edited by civickm
  • 3 months later...

StevieT hit on this but I want to reiterate it, NEVER "GIFT" your payment unless you want NO RIGHTS as a BUYER.

Sellers: You cannot ask or make the buyer pay the PayPal fees. NEVER. It is against PayPal policy. If you accept PayPal as a seller, you cannot ask for fees.

Buyers: If your seller asks for an additional FEE PAYMENT, tell them it is the cost of accepting PayPal. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FEE.

devilsadvocate
Sellers: You cannot ask or make the buyer pay the PayPal fees. NEVER. It is against PayPal policy. If you accept PayPal as a seller, you cannot ask for fees.

Buyers: If your seller asks for an additional FEE PAYMENT, tell them it is the cost of accepting PayPal. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FEE.

this is true. but its nice to do it out of common courtesy.

• Like 1

I agree, but that can be accomplished by calculating the fee and adding it to your payment for a good. I've done it a few times on good deals.

• 4 months later...
anyone know if paypal seller protection covered if you send items sign/insured/tracking to an address thats not paypal confirmed?

As long as it is the address provided as the ship to address in the transaction details page you are covered.

Mike

anyone know if paypal seller protection covered if you send items sign/insured/tracking to an address thats not paypal confirmed?

AVOID THIS GUY AT ALL COSTS.

I bought a Kessil from him. I paid $210 for the Kessil in like new condition with gooseneck. Supposed to be 100% complete with everything that comes with it new. Supposed to have under 100 hours on it. It didn't come with any mounting hardware and the gooseneck clamp is missing a bunch of the finish. Obviously been submerged in the water for well over 1000 hours. My 1st Kessil has 300 hours runtime on it(according to my Apex) which means the mount has been in the water for well over 500 hours and it isn't losing any finish. So the mount is not aesthetically pleasing nor is it functional without the screws to mount the Kessil to it. I have emailed Kessil and plan on going to a hardware store tomorrow in hope that I can get the screws. By my best guess they are a 4-5mm(guessing it is metric considering it is made in Taiwan.)

We also had agreed for it to be shipped 2nd day air to arrive by Wednesday at the latest. He decided to ship it ground without notifying me because he "didn't want to pay the extra money for air shipping." Needless to say a paypal claim has been filed to recoup some money for the damaged gooseneck, missing hardware, and shipping costs. I received the light today 2 days later than it was supposed to be here. He claims no fault and says "get some morals" because I filed a claim. Yet the guy can't even ship it out via the method he agreed to on multiple occasions!

• 4 months later...

I bought a Kessil from him. I paid $210 for the Kessil in like new condition with gooseneck. Supposed to be 100% complete with everything that comes with it new. Supposed to have under 100 hours on it. It didn't come with any mounting hardware and the gooseneck clamp is missing a bunch of the finish. Obviously been submerged in the water for well over 1000 hours. My 1st Kessil has 300 hours runtime on it(according to my Apex) which means the mount has been in the water for well over 500 hours and it isn't losing any finish. So the mount is not aesthetically pleasing nor is it functional without the screws to mount the Kessil to it. I have emailed Kessil and plan on going to a hardware store tomorrow in hope that I can get the screws. By my best guess they are a 4-5mm(guessing it is metric considering it is made in Taiwan.)

We also had agreed for it to be shipped 2nd day air to arrive by Wednesday at the latest. He decided to ship it ground without notifying me because he "didn't want to pay the extra money for air shipping." Needless to say a paypal claim has been filed to recoup some money for the damaged gooseneck, missing hardware, and shipping costs. I received the light today 2 days later than it was supposed to be here. He claims no fault and says "get some morals" because I filed a claim. Yet the guy can't even ship it out via the method he agreed to on multiple occasions!

This is not a place to discuss this. Go to feedback. Sometimes you gain. sometimes you loose. Way of life. Get over it.

This is not a place to discuss this. Go to feedback. Sometimes you gain. sometimes you loose. Way of life. Get over it.

Sorry to hear that man. That sucks.

Meh, whatever. I've sold some items here. I don't have a feedback thread. It's usually pretty easy to find when someone is less than honest. If feedback turns up nothing, just look in their FS threads. If they've scammed anyone, it'll be evident in the threads.

I have two questions:

1. What is -FS thread-

2. I'm a kind of newbie buying by paypal. I'm interested in get a piece of Hardware from the classified forum, can you please tell me How to proceed? Ask him for his Paypal account maybe, and then go to paypal site and send money to his account? or I need something else?

I have two questions:

1. What is -FS thread-

For Sale Thread

2. I'm a kind of newbie buying by paypal. I'm interested in get a piece of Hardware from the classified forum, can you please tell me How to proceed? Ask him for his Paypal account maybe, and then go to paypal site and send money to his account? or I need something else?

Their Paypal account is the same as their email address they used to set it up. Copy and then paste the email address once you go into your paypal under the "SEND MONEY" tab up on top.

• 4 months later...
lifebidesign

And common guys put a picture with what your selling it's the digital age. Think about it? You would have alot more lookers for what ever your selling. Should make it a rule here, who ever does not place a picture with their ad just have the mods delete it. Seen to many people on here with ads and no pictures.

• Like 1

And common guys put a picture with what your selling it's the digital age. Think about it? you would have alot more lookers for what ever your selling. Should make it a rule here and who ever does not place a picture with their ad just have the mods delete it. Seen to many people on here with ads and pictures.

This is true. The classifieds section on this forum doesnt have enough rules and enforcement. Other forums I am on are strict with the rules they have for their classified section and everything runs smoothly.

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...

StevieT hit on this but I want to reiterate it, NEVER "GIFT" your payment unless you want NO RIGHTS as a BUYER.

I'm bumping this as I have noticed that recently there have been quite a few FS postings with the seller asking for a price plus the paypal fees. Not only do I feel it isn't right to ask the buyer to cover the "seller" fees associated with paypal, the seller should take into account paypal fees when pricing their item for sale. Paypal fees are minimal - 3%. It's the cost of selling items and being able to take credit card payments and is much less expensive than what merchants pay to card companies in my experience. And if there are other buyers like me out there, I actually purposely will not even look at a listing if the seller is indicating they want the buyer to pay the paypal fees.

I have also personally experienced sellers on N-R asking me to send the money as a "friends and family" payment or to tack on the extra 3% after I've already negotiated a price with the seller and when the listing made no mention of the seller expecting the buyer to pay the paypal fees. In all these cases, I have then opted to NOT buy the item because I don't feel that is the proper way to do business with other reefers/members. When I sell something, I take into account the paypal transaction fee when pricing something as well as the shipping costs so that the buyer knows how much my item for sale is up front. I expect in every circumstance to pay the "seller" paypal fee since, well, I'm the seller.

Just my opinion, but I think sellers should think twice about asking the buyer to cover the paypal fees. It's not the right way to do things.

• Like 9

+1 I'm not paying to cover the sellers ass from my own shady business practices...

:lol:

+1 I'm not paying to cover the sellers ass from my own shady business practices...

Honestly, what I don't get is if you want the fees covered, rather than asking for $100, ask $103 for the item if the fees bug you that much (or whatever the price is, tack on 3% - and "you" in the whoever the seller is, not YOU as in you - ok, now I'm done)

• Like 1

Technically it's 2.9%+$0.10 (barring international fees).

If I actually care about the fees as a seller I just tack on the fees value then round the price down to the nearest whole dollar.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

Fixed that for you. :lol:

But seriously. Stop asking for people to pay fees you cheapasses!

You asked me to pay for your fees you dick.

Jk haha

• Like 3
  • Recommended Discussions