Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pili's Custom PicoAquariums Manta

Pili

So after having a few different sized tanks over the years, I figured it was time to get back into a nano. Beyond the equipment, I don't have a solid plan for the tank, but I'm sure it will will evolve with time. I also just wanted to give a shout to Chris at Picoaquaruims.com. Like many others on NR, I was very impressed with his communication and willingness to work with me to get exactly what I wanted. Big thumbs up to him! You can tell the tank is handmade, but all of the seems are clean and the tank is very solid.

Equipment:

Tank Dim: 20"x20"x10" with a ~4" false wall. Display volume is approx 12.5g + another ~1.5 for the sump.

Lighting: 70w HQI w/ 2x PC actinics. Planning on LEDs in the future, but I already have the halide fixture.

MP10

Old Aquacontroller Jr.

Hand top off for now until I can steal the osmolator off the 156g

Running skimmerless w/ good old fashion water changes for the time being.

Obligatory crappy phone pic until I get the lighting stand finished and painted. Might be moving the tank in a few months so I did't want to drill any holes in the wall, thus the need for the pvc stand.

6461015575_3244c798c1_z.jpg

Will update the thread once I get the light mounted and water in the tank.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE time! Tank has been running with LR for about 1 week now. I've thrown in a few stomatellas and spaghetti worms for ####s and giggles but otherwise I'm just letting the tank do it's thing. Evap is annoying, but the ato should take care of that in a few weeks. Otherwise, everything is running nicely so far.

Pics! Click for flickr.

6527153921_a3e6f1c8dd_b.jpg

6527154245_2bf8247e40_b.jpg

Looks sweet! Where did you get that light fixture?

Thanks! The fixture was custom made a number of years ago by a member here. It's a great unit, though the ushio 14k I have in there is a bit too white for my taste right now.

o wow, that turned out surprisingly attractive lol, nice job with the pvc..... and very clean so far! keep it that way!

lol, It's not too bad for what it is. The pvc is somewhat temporary until I can come up with something better. Regardless I need to do some zip tie'ing. Keeping it clean is the name of the game!

drooling......

Small Update...

Yasha Goby and pistol shrimp are in the tank. They have not come out of hiding though, which is a bummer. Picking up some corals from the tank at my parents house tomorrow, should have a nice update after the weekend.

-Alex

Yasha Goby and pistol shrimp are in the tank.

Sweet! B)

Should have a nice update after the weekend.

Totally awesome.

Can't wait to see the new shtuff. :D

Small Update...

Yasha Goby and pistol shrimp are in the tank. They have not come out of hiding though, which is a bummer. Picking up some corals from the tank at my parents house tomorrow, should have a nice update after the weekend.

-Alex

cant wait to see this as well. cant wait to have mine built.

still ghetto.

Is that a dhoffroad pendant? SO BADASS

Yeah it is ha, it's a pretty beast little pendent.

In other news, I guess my rock was more dead then I thought. Getting a pretty gnarly mini cycle right now with the new additions, everything looks pretty crappy. Did a small water change with the premade water I had but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get more water. Oh the joys of a new tank lol.

So, Good news and bad news. Bad news is the goby ended up dying like 2 or 3 days after it went into the tank, which caused the mini cycle. It was just sitting under a rock decaying for about a day. Called liveaquaria and they honored their 14 day alive policy, so I have credit to get another goby. Good news is that the pistol shrimp is fine, so I assume the goby had an issue in shipping. A few water changes later and the new additions to the tank are looking great. I will post once I get some stuff glued down. Waiting for my vortec to come in the mail before I start gluing.

PICTURE UPDATE FINALLY...everything is doing well. Transitioning from NSW to salt mix, so I hope to get my Ca, Alk, etc. in line over the next few weeks. Please excuse some of the coral colors, they are recovering from neglect.

click for bigger.

6644490059_cc709f0c06_z.jpg

This one shows the depth of the scape and the tank better.

6644485785_63642603b6_z.jpg

Flickr link

Archived