Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Alto's Bangaii Cardinal Breeding thread

altolamprologus

Given time I think his instincts will kick in.. like you said he is young. Hopefully the time he holds will continue to ram up. Just feed em real good til he is holding again.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• altolamprologus

• smitty_1280

• Euphyllia

• yoshii

Long spine urchins have really interesting poop. That is all.

I have never seen this. Is it weird that I want to request pics?? :D

altolamprologus
I have never seen this. Is it weird that I want to request pics?? :D

It's not weird at all. I was actually watching it poop :lol: I'll try to get a vid next time I see it. You know the eye looking thing on the top of them? That's the butt. They poop pellets colored whatever they're eating (I happen to be giving him red macro algae) and it comes out like a geyser. Now let your imagination run wild

It's not weird at all. I was actually watching it poop :lol: I'll try to get a vid next time I see it. You know the eye looking thing on the top of them? That's the butt. They poop pellets colored whatever they're eating (I happen to be giving him red macro algae) and it comes out like a geyser. Now let your imagination run wild

That is..strange, but interesting

Searrhea! :happy:

altolamprologus
Bought a banggai cardinal today, made me think of your thread. :)

Aww glad you're think of me :)

That is..strange, but interesting

It's pretty weird looking. Also, evolution has failed this species. You can imagine what goes wrong when your butt is on top of you.

Searrhea! :happy:

Lol nice

altolamprologus
I want to eventually get a pair of Pajama's to breed. Do you have any?

No, I don't. I've never liked pajamas.

My male is now holding his 3rd clutch of eggs (he only waited 2 weeks after releasing the last batch before taking this batch) so I've been looking around for advice and discovered marinebreeders.org. Have you checked them out alto?

altolamprologus
My male is now holding his 3rd clutch of eggs (he only waited 2 weeks after releasing the last batch before taking this batch) so I've been looking around for advice and discovered marinebreeders.org. Have you checked them out alto?

Yeah I love that site! Everyone there is so helpful

Hey you could make an urchin like I did.... no poop to be concerned about!

Here's Mr. Urchin!

hpim2669e.jpg

And some of the babies in Mr. Urchin

hpim2673.jpg

I have both!

img_0557_595.jpg

img_0650_595.jpg

img_0690_595.jpg

I am not actively trying to breed so my adults are in a tank with other fish and the urchin provides some protection and a good place for me to collect the babies. In the QT tank I have the toothpick urchin so the babies have a place to hang out. I should have used clay like you did.

altolamprologus

I'm so jealous of your guys' babies! I will definitely be making fake urchins when I get babies, but for now I kinda like Mr. spikey

altolamprologus
Thats a nice shot. Fatten him up!

Don't worry, he's been eating 4-5 times a day for the last week. If he doesn't hold next time, it won't be because of a lack of food!

Don't worry, he's been eating 4-5 times a day for the last week. If he doesn't hold next time, it won't be because of a lack of food!

Excellent. How long are you going to fatten him up until you reintroduce him to his lady friend?

altolamprologus
Excellent. How long are you going to fatten him up until you reintroduce him to his lady friend?

He's with his lady friend right now. Since he hasn't held more than a few days at a time, I didn't think it would be necessary to separate them yet. She actually should be ready to spawn sometime in the next few days fingerscrossed