Top Shelf Aquatics

Alto's Bangaii Cardinal Breeding thread

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
Congrats!!

Keep an eye on him. :blink:

Thanks. It's a constant struggle between wanting to check on him and knowing I shouldn't disturb him

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• altolamprologus

• smitty_1280

• Euphyllia

• yoshii

altolamprologus

The male seems to be swallowing eggs daily. His mouth now looks normal, but he has refused food today and yesterday and he's still moving his mouth around like something's in there. I'm hoping he still has a couple eggs left fingerscrossed

altolamprologus

The male started eating again today...His record is now 6 days. Time to start mass feeding him and hope he holds to full term next time

Bummer man. I had a friend who's male ate every clutch, then he switched to another male that ate the first few, but once he got the hang of it, could take to full term. He did something similar to what you're doing; separated the 2, and fed the hell out of his male! Good luck!

Edited by hooligan_78
altolamprologus
Bummer man. I had a friend who's male ate every clutch, then he switched to another male that ate the first few, but once he got the hang of it, could take to full term. He did something similar to what you're doing; separated the 2, and fed the hell out of his male! Good luck!

Thanks. If my male keeps swallowing the next few clutches, I may just retire him to my reef tank and get a proven male. I'll give him a couple more months though since he is still pretty young.

• 2 weeks later...
altolamprologus

I moved the male over to the new broodstock tank last night. He seems much more comfortable in there with all the rock and macros than he was in the bare quarantine tank. He'll be in there by himself for the next 2 weeks while I condition him separately from the female.

• 2 weeks later...
altolamprologus
Any update?

The male and female are still separated and the male is being heavily fed. They will be put back together in a week or so. I'll let you guys know how it goes when they are re-introduced.

altolamprologus

The male had a nice meal of a dozen baby guppies today. He goes crazy when he sees them, like he suddenly switches to predator mode :lol:

I have not researched this... But are there issues with forcing the male to spit out. When I bred cichlids I first opened their mouth in the water to get the babies out. I then learned to take a turkey baster and pushed water behind the gills so they would get out. Granted this was 15 years ago ago methods could of changed.

*following this thread

altolamprologus
I have not researched this... But are there issues with forcing the male to spit out. When I bred cichlids I first opened their mouth in the water to get the babies out. I then learned to take a turkey baster and pushed water behind the gills so they would get out. Granted this was 15 years ago ago methods could of changed.

*following this thread

Male bangaiis tend to spit the babies if netted and taken out of the water for a few seconds. Something about being in the air makes them open their mouths and let all the babies go.

altolamprologus

The pair was re-inroduced last night and they've been unseperable all morning. I woke up at 5 am to their love clicks :lol:

Their new diet consists of mysis once a day, live ghost shrimp gut loaded with prime reef flakes once a day, baby guppies every few day, and an unlimited supply of live brine shrimp gut loaded with phytoplankton. Baby bangers here I come!

altolamprologus

Well this is frustrating. The male is now boycotting ova, live brine, and live ghost shrimp. He's only eating mysis and guppies, but it's mostly mysis. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but he hides every time I approach the tank <_< The female is egging up, but since the male's not eating well I don't think he'll be ready :(

cool thread

I didnt know cardinals ate guppies--is it healthy for them to eat FW fish?

also on a side note a LFS near me has about a dozen ~1000gal tubs lit under a green house for coral grow-out. they have 'schools' of bangaiis that I guess just reproduce with no interfering. pretty neat

cool thread

also on a side note a LFS near me has about a dozen ~1000gal tubs lit under a green house for coral grow-out. they have 'schools' of bangaiis that I guess just reproduce with no interfering. pretty neat

If they can eat freshwater shrimps like the frozen mysis shrimps why not?

What's physically different from a molly that can exist in FW and SW vs a guppy?

Have you tried black worms? Probably cheaper in the long run if maintain a colony, mine loves it.

altolamprologus
cool thread

The main problem is that FW fish have a different HUFA profile than what SW fish need in their diets. But mysis easily makes up for the deficiencies in that regard so guppies make a good high calorie food, especially since I can gutload them with marine flakes that the cardinals wouldn't eat otherwise. Plus live foods stimulate breeding.

That's super cool to have them breeding like that. They should collect some for sale every once in a while.

If they can eat freshwater shrimps like the frozen mysis shrimps why not?

What's physically different from a molly that can exist in FW and SW vs a guppy?

Have you tried black worms? Probably cheaper in the long run if maintain a colony, mine loves it.

I haven't. I'll look into that though. Know where I can get a starter culture? I was also thinking of setting up a tank for breeding guppies and having several huge females and a couple males. I figure I can get a couple hundred babies a month from that.

igotreefermadness

The problem I would see with feeding mysis and FW guppies is that they don't contain the amino acids present in marine grown foods. I usually ask what people are feeding their Pajama Cardinals if their colors are washed out, and usually its frozen mysis. But it sounds like you have a good grasp on their nutritional needs.

altolamprologus
The problem I would see with feeding mysis and FW guppies is that they don't contain the amino acids present in marine grown foods. I usually ask what people are feeding their Pajama Cardinals if their colors are washed out, and usually its frozen mysis. But it sounds like you have a good grasp on their nutritional needs.

Yeah I know, but that's all the male eats unfortunately. The female eats ova and brine, but the male refuses. I feed PE mysis though which claims to have a superior protein and fatty acid profile so I think that helps. They also get baby cleaner shrimp and live mysids on occasion

From the looks of this, hopefully you can become more successful at breeding. Seems like they're being over collected.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/603466...-rescue-project

Yeah they're endangered and unfortunately not many people care. They've been proposed to CITES (which would limit the amount that can imported/exported), but it got rejected because the people that collect them gave a b!tch fit

I got them from a LFS, $5 for a big portion that I can probably keep for more than a few months the rate I feed them if I can keep them from fouling up the bucket they're in.

I bought them to try getting some blue eyed cardinals to eat but even that live foods doesn't entice them... I may try Ghost Shrimps and guppies but woudl prefer not to have a habit sinc ehtey're more expensive.

I'd try mollies since they're more closer to S/W but getting a breeding set can be difficult too because the males are usually overly aggressive trying to always mate.

From the looks of this, hopefully you can become more successful at breeding. Seems like they're being over collected.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/603466...-rescue-project

Yeah they're endangered and unfortunately not many people care. They've been proposed to CITES (which would limit the amount that can imported/exported), but it got rejected because the people that collect them gave a b!tch fit

This is one of the reason I love breeding threads for these fish. It makes me happy to know people are trying to aquaculture instead of always harvest, especially animals which are becoming endangered.

altolamprologus
This is one of the reason I love breeding threads for these fish. It makes me happy to know people are trying to aquaculture instead of always harvest, especially animals which are becoming endangered.

It's a shame ORA and SA gave up on them. I know they're not money making fish like clowns, but come on there is a market for them