SaltCritters.com

Ich makes a comeback after 8 weeks

thecloser

So I left my fish tank fishless for 8 weeks at 81f and it has apparently made a return I think.

My clown and McCosker have been in there for about 2 weeks and look good, swim around, eat well and its the longest I have had a fish in there compared to previously when I had ich but I just came to feed them now and noticed white spots on my McCosker. Now, I don't know if this is ich or it can be particles cuz the water has lots of white things floating around.

Is it possible? Ich back after 8 weeks of being fishless ?!?!

What should I do, assume its ich and Cupramine the fish or wait to see if he gets worse because from my experience, it looks like ich as its on the fins and the body, not as many as before just a light amount but still deadily enough I am sure.

WHy is the Clown safe but not the McCosker I wonder.

Edited by thecloser

I have a fish in the QT currently, should I treat this guy in a bowl thats about 2 gallongs deep isntead of where this fish in QT is ? or is that dangerous for teh fish in a bowl.

Holy crap...

Based on the past 10 threads you've started, how could anyone have possibly seen this coming!?!?

My mind has literally been blown ....

Edited by ajmckay

Where are the fish coming from? where they treated for ich and if so how?

Your tank may have been fishless but your fish may not have been ickless.

It come and go in cycles and it can live on the fish in low level infection in the gills and you will not see it until the fish are stressed out.

My guess is that your fish are carrier of ich and were either not treated or not treated properly to eliminate ich and although you left your tank fishless, you stressed them when putting them back in the tank and got ich again because ich never left your fish. That is at least the most probable explanation without knowing more.

So I left my fish tank fishless for 8 weeks at 81f and it has apparently made a return I think.

My clown and McCosker have been in there for about 2 weeks and look good, swim around, eat well and its the longest I have had a fish in there compared to previously when I had ich but I just came to feed them now and noticed white spots on my McCosker. Now, I don't know if this is ich or it can be particles cuz the water has lots of white things floating around.

Is it possible? Ich back after 8 weeks of being fishless ?!?!

What should I do, assume its ich and Cupramine the fish or wait to see if he gets worse because from my experience, it looks like ich as its on the fins and the body, not as many as before just a light amount but still deadily enough I am sure.

WHy is the Clown safe but not the McCosker I wonder.

Holy crap...

Based on the past 10 threads you've started, how could anyone have possibly seen this coming!?!?

My mind has literally been blown ....

A useful response would go a lot further than a sarcastic one. My only mishaps was having 2 fishes in QT when just bought. Doesn't mean you should become such a dramatic person that is "shocked" sarcastically.

I doubt the 2 fish in QT had ANYTHING to do with this considering that was nearly 4 weeks ago adn they did quite well and the one that failed was because I had bought him already sick with spots of white fungas/holes in teh head i wasn't aware of until the 1st day in QT. As you even mentioned, some people have done it and it has worked some have and it hasn't so now move on. People are so annoying when it comes to this site, like grow up man.

Where are the fish coming from? where they treated for ich and if so how?

Your tank may have been fishless but your fish may not have been ickless.

It come and go in cycles and it can live on the fish in low level infection in the gills and you will not see it until the fish are stressed out.

My guess is that your fish are carrier of ich and were either not treated or not treated properly to eliminate ich and although you left your tank fishless, you stressed them when putting them back in the tank and got ich again because ich never left your fish. That is at least the most probable explanation without knowing more.

The clown fish fought a massive ich breakout the first time around and the McCosker is a new fish, or about a month old actually.

I treated both of them for ich with Cupramine for 2 weeks.

I do think my dosage of cupramine might have been a bit low because it was super hard to read the right colors on the seachem test kit. I say difficult b/c it doesnt' say how much of the powder to put onto the rod to then put into the test water because depending on the amount the color came out different.

Wouldn't the ich come out within a few days of being transported into the DT and not almost 3 weeks later?

Edited by thecloser
A useful response would go a lot further than a sarcastic one. My only mishaps was having 2 fishes in QT when just bought. Doesn't mean you should become such a dramatic person that is "shocked" sarcastically.

I doubt the 2 fish in QT had ANYTHING to do with this considering that was nearly 4 weeks ago adn they did quite well. As you even mentioned, some people have done it and it has worked some have and it hasn't so now move on. People are so annoying when it comes to this site, like grow up man.

The clown fish fought a massive ich breakout the first time around and the McCosker is a new fish, or about a month old actually.

I treated both of them for ich with Cupramine for 2 weeks.

I do think my dosage of cupramine might have been a bit low because it was super hard to read the right colors on the seachem test kit. I say difficult b/c it doesnt' say how much of the powder to put onto the rod to then put into the test water because depending on the amount the color came out different.

Wouldn't the ich come out within a few days of being transported into the DT and not almost 3 weeks later?

Anything can stress the fish.

Since the 2 fish were in QT 4 weeks ago this is not a 8 week cycle. So there is one issue.

You should start all over again, treat the fish in QT and run the tank empty again. Otherwise you will continue to have these issues.

Just do it right from the get go, QT 1 fish at a time, watch it for 2-4 weeks if any signs treat the fish.

GL.

Anything can stress the fish.

Since the 2 fish were in QT 4 weeks ago this is not a 8 week cycle. So there is one issue.

You should start all over again, treat the fish in QT and run the tank empty again. Otherwise you will continue to have these issues.

Just do it right from the get go, QT 1 fish at a time, watch it for 2-4 weeks if any signs treat the fish.

GL.

Sorry you misunderstood. My tank was fishless 8 weeks. I bought fish during the 4th week and treated them with cupramine the 5th week.

the Clown was in the tank from day 1, I bought the McCosker the 4th week. So I had 2 fish in QT because researching on some forums people said its okay to do so I went with it. Nothing happened to cause a problem.

the tank DID go 8 weeks fishless.

Edited by thecloser

Still you are now back at ground one.

Do it again, follow the instructions to the T.

Treat the fish as long as the medication says it is safe and at the strongest dose.

Start from ground 0 and work back again.

By the sounds of it you removed the fish from quarantine too soon and the parasites simply reemerged once in favorable conditions(your display tank) Its recommended to keep infected fish quarantine for up to a month because ich sometimes can have extended life cycles. I know you said you treated with Cupramine but it only kills free floating ich while any parasites living under the fish skin is unaffected. So i would recommend to do everything just did but leave the fish in quarantine longer and this time increase the tank temperature in quarantine (this can help speed up the life cycle of parasite)

By the sounds of it you removed the fish from quarantine too soon and the parasites simply reemerged once in favorable conditions(your display tank) Its recommended to keep infected fish quarantine for up to a month because ich sometimes can have extended life cycles. I know you said you treated with Cupramine but it only kills free floating ich while any parasites living under the fish skin is unaffected. So i would recommend to do everything just did but leave the fish in quarantine longer and this time increase the tank temperature in quarantine (this can help speed up the life cycle of parasite)

the problem was I never saw ich when I treated them. I saw some symptoms such as my clown rubbing his body on the glass once and a rapid burst of movement (trying to shake it off I assume) but not from my McCosker. If my Cown still had it as you suggest, he probably transfered this ich to the McCosker when he was stressed in the new tank but I wonder why he would be stressed after 2 weeks of being fine.

okay so the fish are doing good in the hospital tank but the Coral Beauty is starting to show 2 white spots near his eye. My first CB had the same thing that turned into a huge white spot on his dome once he was trasnfered into the DT that resulted in death within 3 days.

Most people said the spots were nothing to worry about which obvously became false.

ANyone see this happen to their CB beforE? or any angelfish?

• 7 years later...

I will said if you got another fish and put that one on the QT on the 5 week you just started back from 0 now you need to wait another 6 weeks for the ich cycle life to finish.. let’s give an example: the new fish ( has ich ) the ick eat from the fish the fall to the bottom of the tank drop the eggs and jump to another fish of the copper is not at .50 if the copper is at .50 at the swimming stages of the ich then it will die but you still have the eggs and they will hatch out and jump on your cure fish .. now you have ich again!!!!! The only reason you live your DT fishless is to starve the ich to death.. if they don’t have fish to eat they die and that take 6 weeks to happen.. 

• Like 1