ReefCleaners.org

Bonk's 39G

Bonk

post-70412-1325815434_thumb.jpg

Update:

Got my lights back, good as new. Best customer experience I've had in a looong time. I will probably always stick with this company in the future.

6692246555_98d168852e_z.jpg

My cycle has been over for a week now, took 4 or 5 weeks or so. My parameters after the cycle were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and nitrate was about 5ppm. I did a small water change last week, but only got around to testing nitrate today at it was 2.

Anyway after the cycle I added 2 hermits and 3 trochus snails just to be sure they would be ok before any fish went in. They are doing fine after 4 days so I added 2 true percula clowns. They aren't eating as much as I would like to see but they are getting along great.

Nice, btw what was wrong with the lights? I mean weren't it brand new? :D

They are brand new, just had a tiny accident. :lol:

Nice looking clowns.

If you had a cover, I would recommend your next fish be a flasher wrasse, preferably a mckoskers.

Ya I've been looking at the possibility of one of these? Have you had an experience with them jumping? I have seen a few in rimless tanks and they seem to be ok. I have some netting for the top I just need to customize a little frame for it when I have the time.

glad to hear the lights are working now. that was scary. good luck on the tank, it looks great so far.

Thank you Jedidad, I appreciate the kind words.

They are brand new, just had a tiny accident. :lol:

Ya I've been looking at the possibility of one of these? Have you had an experience with them jumping? I have seen a few in rimless tanks and they seem to be ok. I have some netting for the top I just need to customize a little frame for it when I have the time.

I have had experience with them jumping; they jump. A lot. But they are also my very favorite family of fish. The McKoskers is especially gorgeous (IMHO). My first experience with them was about 4 yrs ago; they basically jump if there is no netting or guard. I had one jump 3 times while I was around (he jumped when I was feeding). I actually caught him in my hand once. Then I eventually found him dried out on the floor after a weekend away. I wont keep them in uncovered tanks now. I have a filamented flasher right now in my covered softy tank. I would also recommend the long fin fairy wrasse. Also gorgeous, but still doesn't hold a candle to the mckoskers. I passed up a mckoskers earlier in the week because three wrasses isn't going to fly in a 20 gallon ;)

• 1 month later...

Super happy frogspawn.

6811906016_aaa902fb33_z.jpg

Is it normal for a scarlet reef hermit to post up like this all day every day?

6811906030_8665fc3c7f_z.jpg

This shot makes me happy. Male almost didn't make it he kept jumping from tank when female left to host without him. Suicide I guess.

6811905998_86b7067a38_z.jpg

Update on my tank. Tank is 3 months old now.

Coralline algae starting to grow everywhere, I'm pretty pumped about that I actually like the look of it encrusting everything.

Most every coral in this tank will start from a frag because I want to watch everything grow. The 1 little colony was a tester coral I got at like 1.5 months. I'll kick it out when i run out of room (it was 5 bucks).

6812035924_3daa9f6b34_z.jpg

Fuge shot.

6958146073_4230813971_z.jpg

Forgot to mention my pod infestation. Went from seeing a handful in the corners to them covering all my glass from top to bottom in a 2 week time frame. I have to wipe them off daily to see in the tank.

Lookin good :)

I decided against the wrasses in this tank I think. I'll probably add a Bartlett's Anthias and maybe a small goby and that will be all.

Nice!!

Btw having a hermit hang out in a certain area is completely normal.

Thanks Animal wasn't sure about that. This hermit seems to never leave he must go eat at night then climb back up before the lights come on.

Or he is stuck! Nice tank BTW

Thanks Criley. he's def. not stuck I've moved him about 3 times thinking he was stuck but hes always back in the morning. I don't even mess with him now.

Does it affect the frag? I would think he would stunt the growth of it by being there all the time. I would just get rid of him.

He wasnt up there today and the coral looks just fine.

I've been a little pissed off at some of my hermits lately and have considered kicking a few out lol. I have a green nepthea frag that was attaching to a rock and the hermits kept knocking it off. They actually broke it and it floated away and was lost for like a week. When i was cleaning my glass I spotted it and threw it in a plastic cup where its sitting right now.

Yea I have hermits too! I think I have only 3-4 in my 60 gallon and that's all I'm gonna have. The rest will just be snails. Good luck with your future frags and the hermits.

Archived