2. Green Nepthea
  3. couple Acans
  4. Xenia (in sump)
  5. Purple star polyps
  6. frogspawn

Current FTS:

6439859225_76b9601a54.jpg

FTSDec1,2011 by okolemaluna, on Flickr

Hi, this is my first SW reef tank. I will need all of your help to be successful. :)

Equipment

Custom 3 side starphire rimless 1.5" drain, .75" return

Custom 30g sump

Skimmer: Aquamaxx am200-s

Return: Tunze 1073.02

Flow: 2x Tunze 6025

BRS reactor for carbon/GFO

BRS RO/DI 5 stage

Lighting: 2x AI Sol Blue (coming soon)

Livestock

TBD... B)

Just waiting on lights to put water in here. I could put water now but I might need to move the tank to mount them so I'm gonna play it safe, I'm in no rush.

VERY nice looking tank. Will be following, looks like you are headed in a good direction

Niiiiiice! Very slick. I regret getting an acrylic tank. All those little scratches drive me nuts. Excited to see what you put together.

Great avatar btw. I love that movie.... Too funny

VERY nice looking tank. Will be following, looks like you are headed in a good direction

Thanks!

Niiiiiice! Very slick. I regret getting an acrylic tank. All those little scratches drive me nuts. Excited to see what you put together.

Great avatar btw. I love that movie.... Too funny

You know I really like the look of acrylic tanks, but knowing me I'd put a big scratch in it right away and then be unhappy with the tank. Saw your tank though, looks very good with the minimalist approach I will be headed in that direction myself.

Looking great so far! What are the dimensions on that sucker? Looks sooo slick!

Thank You! Dims are 36x18x14. Right in the middle of a 30 and 40br

:mellow::D Quick update...

Ordered lights today and everything should arrive on the 13th.

Rocks came in the other day and i'm going over to my LFS to grab some dirt tomorrow.

Oh, yeah I'm also making up about 50G's of water at this moment so if all goes well I should have dirt, water and rocks in by the weekend... :D :D

6494941907_2c5a63670a_z.jpg

Sorry so cloudy just finished adding water.

Took a quick pic of my scape to hopefully get some feedback and ask a question about starting my cycle.

Should I run carbon and filter floss now that I've added my dirt and rocks?

Should I break in my skimmer now as well?

TYIA

Good news and the bad news....

Good news.. My 2 brand new AI sol fixtures came in the mail last night and I spent a few hours installing and programming them and they were looking sweet!

Bad news... 1 side of my ceiling didnt hold and I found both brand new lights swimming in my tank. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Right now they are sitting in a bag of rice. I will be extremely lucky if they make it.

Good news and the bad news....

Good news.. My 2 brand new AI sol fixtures came in the mail last night and I spent a few hours installing and programming them and they were looking sweet!

Bad news... 1 side of my ceiling didnt hold and I found both brand new lights swimming in my tank. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Right now they are sitting in a bag of rice. I will be extremely lucky if they make it.

oooohhh my god. I feel anxiety for you right now... geez...makes my skin crawl.... I hope they make it. You should open them up; like take off the bottom covers etc. Keep them in the rice for many days, and change it a few times. Did they fall into saltwater or freshwater?

Were they on when they were wet? If not......well.....salt water will still leave a film :(

I was gonna say that the rice or some other desiccant would work well. Do you have the balls to intentionally pour some RO/DI in them to rinse out the salt? Might be worth it a this point. If they are dead then they are dead.

Rinse them out good and then go buy some real desiccant from a craft store. They sell it for drying flowers. Will work 1000000% better than rice.

oooohhh my god. I feel anxiety for you right now... geez...makes my skin crawl.... I hope they make it. You should open them up; like take off the bottom covers etc. Keep them in the rice for many days, and change it a few times. Did they fall into saltwater or freshwater?

They fell into saltwater. I already took off the cover and removed the optics and patted everything down with a damp towel to try and soak up the water and remove as much salt as possible.

Were they on when they were wet? If not......well.....salt water will still leave a film :(

I was gonna say that the rice or some other desiccant would work well. Do you have the balls to intentionally pour some RO/DI in them to rinse out the salt? Might be worth it a this point. If they are dead then they are dead.

Rinse them out good and then go buy some real desiccant from a craft store. They sell it for drying flowers. Will work 1000000% better than rice.

Ya they were on, but im hoping that the cord tripped my gfi before the water rushed into the circuit board.

I've never heard of the desiccant before im going to look that up. Thanks.

That sucks!!!!. That tank is awsome. where is it from?

Good luck with the rice.

Its a leemar, luckily it wasn't damaged in the fall.

Good luck. Desiccant is just the fancy name for anything that will suck the moisture out. But I bet that is the term they would use at the craft store for it. If not, ask about powder used for drying/preserving flowers.

Silica Gel, Silica Pellets..etc...

At this point, I wold scrub down the internals with 91% isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't leave a residue and scrubs everything out. I'd dip a toothbrush into this stuff, then start scrubbing.

I use this process all the time. I'm an Apple repairsman, and use this process almost daily. I've never had an iPod or iPhone because of this type of scrubbing.

Nice! I love the scape!

Thanks Animal!

At this point, I wold scrub down the internals with 91% isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't leave a residue and scrubs everything out. I'd dip a toothbrush into this stuff, then start scrubbing.

I use this process all the time. I'm an Apple repairsman, and use this process almost daily. I've never had an iPod or iPhone because of this type of scrubbing.

I just felt defeated and called AI.

So..the bad news and the good news.

Bad news: Left lights in rice for 24 hours cleaned em out the best I could, plugged them in and nothing.

They're fried!!!! :angry: :angry: :o

Good news: Called AI, and since they are brand new, Justin from their tech support had me ship them to him and he said it shouldnt be to hard to fix and it should cost next to nothing to do!!

I guess you get what you pay for. Makes me feel really good that I bought a quality product with excellent cusomer service.

That just fantastic news man. I really honestly think I would have cried if that had happened to me. Like full on 30yr old 210lb 6"1' man cry. Its a terrifying thought.

That's awesome!

Let us know when they come in. And I'd verify that section of the ceiling can actually hold anything.

For sure! This definitely wont happen again once im done, i'll have a secondary safety catch as well.

That just fantastic news man. I really honestly think I would have cried if that had happened to me. Like full on 30yr old 210lb 6"1' man cry. Its a terrifying thought.

LOL, believe me I felt like it, but I figured whats done is done and just thought of ways to make the day better. It was still the worst day i've had in a long time.

Thank you for sharing my pain though. ;)

LOL, believe me I felt like it, but I figured whats done is done and just thought of ways to make the day better. It was still the worst day i've had in a long time.

Thank you for sharing my pain though. ;)

lol no problem.

You're going to love the light... Im getting crazy good growth and coloration on my sps from my AI unit. My montipora's are growing like its a race to the finish line or something.

Archived