Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

December 2011 Reef Profile - Dipg

Christopher Marks

Wow, I'm totally blown away. You have an amazing looking tank.

If I could make one small request, I'd like to see you take a couple of pics from a bit farther away from the tank to get some perspective on it's size.

It does look magnificent, though. I've been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided to register just so I could congratulate you properly. :D

Wow, I'm totally blown away. You have an amazing looking tank.

If I could make one small request, I'd like to see you take a couple of pics from a bit farther away from the tank to get some perspective on it's size.

It does look magnificent, though. I've been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided to register just so I could congratulate you properly. :D

Thanks. I will upload couple of pics taken per your request :).

Beautiful

Thanks

Congrats Dip! Well deserved! One of my favorite tanks, i like the scape layout too!

Thanks. I always thought the scape was so..bleh. I think its how the corals have grown over the rocks which make the scape look so nice.

Congratulations on winning TOTM. You have a great looking tank.

Thanks a lot..means a lot coming from you as you may have seen that your tank was one of my inspirations and i mentioned that in my TOTM profile.

Thanks a lot..means a lot coming from you as you may have seen that your tank was one of my inspirations and i mentioned that in my TOTM profile.

Oh I missed that. Thank you. You'll be inspiring others now too!

Looks great! As others have said - hard to believe that is only 6 gallons ... you did a nice job creating depth and variety in the scape.

ParrotHead251

Your reef is absolutely beautiful, and the fact that this is your first SW tank makes it all the more impressive. The extent of your research and preparation is readily apparent. Many people in this hobby try for years without accomplishing anything close to what you've done with your first shot at it. Truly inspirational for beginners!! By the way, if you're not using any additives, I wanna know what salt you're using!!!

Looks great! As others have said - hard to believe that is only 6 gallons ... you did a nice job creating depth and variety in the scape.

Thanks

Your reef is absolutely beautiful, and the fact that this is your first SW tank makes it all the more impressive. The extent of your research and preparation is readily apparent. Many people in this hobby try for years without accomplishing anything close to what you've done with your first shot at it. Truly inspirational for beginners!! By the way, if you're not using any additives, I wanna know what salt you're using!!!

Thanks, I use D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro Plus Salt Mix and have used it since the inception of this tank

• 3 weeks later...

I have nanocumstoms fluval edge light fixture on top i.e. 18 - 3watt leds (12 white and 8 Royal Blue).

does anybody know how many total watts of LED's are over it?

Wow that is the best edge I have seen. I wondered if you could ever get the edge to become a working reef tank. Now I know you can. Wow is all I can say.

• 2 months later...
thefishboyy18

hey, beautiful tank btw. i have the same, about 2 months old, fully cycled, but i have a problem with ditritus, like you said in your weekly maintanance, you blow it off your rocks. does it appear everyday often? cause mine does, and i have to blow it off and vacuum it up and i shouldn't have to. i have a good cleanup crew consisting of crabs, hermits, and snails. could it be my rock is still curing? and dead crap on it is still dying? i have a hard time believing that. But you have the same problem im guessing cause you blow it off everyday?

hey, beautiful tank btw. i have the same, about 2 months old, fully cycled, but i have a problem with ditritus, like you said in your weekly maintanance, you blow it off your rocks. does it appear everyday often? cause mine does, and i have to blow it off and vacuum it up and i shouldn't have to. i have a good cleanup crew consisting of crabs, hermits, and snails. could it be my rock is still curing? and dead crap on it is still dying? i have a hard time believing that. But you have the same problem im guessing cause you blow it off everyday?

The ditritus which i blow off during my weekly water change is from the rocks and you really can't see it until you are actually blowing it with turkey baster. There is nothing on my sand. I am not sure what is causing yout ditritus issues unless its not really ditritus but something else. At 2 months your tank should be cycled but i have seen tanks with diatoms outbreak but that also should go away as your tank matures. You might want to keep an eye on it and take some pictures and post it here to make sure its ditritus and not some kind of algae.

• 5 months later...
jacktrippercity

Hi, I am new to the nano world could you check out my tank pics let me know what i need to get mine at least looking like yours, thank

• 5 months later...

I like the idea of using the mags for frags on the side walls. I'm new to this and didn't know those even existed. It gives a nice cave like look, grotto, more depth- with that happening did you find the light you had looked brighter because the sides of the tank were more covered and light wasn't escaping? I'll be starting my 8 gallon soon and know it'll be just a little at a time, slowly, making sure things like where they've been placed. I'm in the early phases of all the researching and before you know it ...it's 3am and I've been on the internet alI night looking at pictures, forums, etc. I'm really drawn to the colors in your tank. Some are just a modge podge of color but yours appears thought out.

Did you have a color scheme already in mind? Lastly, I like your philosophy, keep it simple as far as letting the water changes be the supplementation. In general I believe you can upset a system by doing too much, trying too much to be God with it. If you can do this with a 6 I have no doubt and only can be in awe with what you could do with larger tank. I think if you have the discipline and can master a nano then having a larger should be a piece of cake, certainly less daunting.

Last question, how much have your varied clowns grown in the tank since you started. I'm not sure if I want to put one fish on its own whether it be a false percula or yellow damselfish, something of the like, or 2. Guess I'm concerned about the bioload.

Archived