Pod Your Reef

Need help on ways to sneak hermits into plane!

SWAG

I am in honalulu right now and will be leaving next week,I got about 20 electric orange hermit crabs,like the blue but orange.

Any ways I can sneak these on board the plane without getting them taken away?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check it in your luggage no prob

on a side note I may or may not have smuggled geckos/scorpions across state and country borders using that method :lol:

I'm pretty sure all liquids are still banned from being carried on- so unless they go dry you might not be able to take them on the plane.

I would guess the best way is in your checked luggage.

I accidentally carried a rather large boot knife on a plane about a month and a half after 9-11, because I forgot it was in the boots in my carry-on. To be more accurate, I carried the knife on four planes through three international airports.

Smuggling isn't nearly as hard as everyone thinks. Haha.

buy some other dry shells at the tourist shops and put them with the hermits in your checked bag. wrap them all up with moist paper towels and they should be fine.... that way if they scan it they just think you bought a bunch of little touristy shell items

if not go with Gabe's suggestion :o

I am in honalulu right now and will be leaving next week,I got about 20 electric orange hermit crabs,like the blue but orange.

Any ways I can sneak these on board the plane without getting them taken away?

*Honolulu.

You got some serious balls trying that in Hawaii.

*Honolulu.

You got some serious balls trying that in Hawaii.

My sister brought a shell home and unknowingly there was a hermit inside. They can live out of water for a while. Id put them in a small cooler and check it.

TheUnfocusedOne

Fill anus IMO.

Also, you should get somones contact info. That way, when/if you go to jail, you can still let us all know that it was a bad idea.

TSA allows carry on of bagged fish in very small quantities its up to the screener but as long as you aren't harvesting animals illegally (hi is a tought state for getting them legal wo permit) it is not illegal to show them a fish bag filled with some water and a few crabs, i dont know how # they will allow

the reefscapes magazine thats free in stores had an article about clownfish transport on a plane and he referenced tsa manual guidelines inspectors are supposed to follow. be in a clear bag, visibly alive etc (which confirms its water in the bag)

and he had more than three ounces of water. I would imagine the subjectivity between inspectors is huge when working with this kind of carry on.

Put them in your underwear... tell TSA you had a wild vacation and you're on your way home to see your physician about the worst case of crabs anyone has ever seen. :o

I was in HI and did a similar thing. Just get a small Styrofoam cooler and put the crabs in a few baggies with water and a small hand warmer or something. Use packing shells or something to keep them from getting jostled around and put the cooler in your checked bag. You won't have anything to worry about and you aren't smuggling or anything.

I was in HI and did a similar thing. Just get a small Styrofoam cooler and put the crabs in a few baggies with water and a small hand warmer or something. Use packing shells or something to keep them from getting jostled around and put the cooler in your checked bag. You won't have anything to worry about and you aren't smuggling or anything.

Its still smuggling when you are collecting an animal without a permit and trying to relocate. If the op has purchased the crabs then your idea should be fine.

I once tried to bring a salami on a plane in 2004 and they didn't let me take it. Also I tried to bring back a small baggie of beach sand from HI in 1997 and that got confiscated too (no it did not resemble any sort of drug, it was the black volcanic stuff).

Maybe keep your receipt in-case anyone asks.

so good luck +1 to a baggie up the anus, or fed-ex.

up your a$$ and I hope you have to get a body cavity search... For gods sake just spend $20 when you get home and buy a few. Why go through the possible legality issues? not to mention being a big D bag. not to mention that you are publicly announcing you are about to do something illegal...you are a smart one

up your a$$ and I hope you have to get a body cavity search... For gods sake just spend $20 when you get home and buy a few. Why go through the possible legality issues? not to mention being a big D bag. not to mention that you are publicly announcing you are about to do something illegal...you are a smart one

:o

Someone is mad!

Maybe you're just jealous of my free hermits?

I'm probably going to buy a giant shell and stuff some crabs in there!

Or get a few small jars like those gerber baby foods size and put a wet paper towel in them along with the crabs and roll them in with my socks.

Its still smuggling when you are collecting an animal without a permit and trying to relocate. If the op has purchased the crabs then your idea should be fine.

Yea, this is definitely smuggling. Hawaii is very strict about what you living things you can import and export, not to mention all the heat recently about banning the export of their local marine fauna. Don't get arrested. :)

surgicalsense

I dig this ... gets more intriguing by the moment, how to hide the hermits.

* Not sure about the baby food jar idea hidden in socks.

Archived