SaltCritters.com

to filter or not to filter

mhossom

I am setting up my first nano. i have decided on a 20 gal. tank w- 2x55w PC lighting. I have bought a prism skimmer and a Zoo Med 226 (190 gph) power sweep pump for water circulation. My question is whether or not I need any further filtration on the tank. For instance, a hang on power filter or an internal canister. Opinions and experienced answers are both welcome. Thanks.

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi,

If you have about 1.5 lbs or more of live rock per gallon then you can skip the filter, providing that you keep your livestock reasonable and you do 10 % weekly water changes. I have a 10 gallon with 20 lbs of live rock, a 1 1/2" sand bed, 1 powerhead, and a hang-on filter. I use the filter with floss only (no carbon) for extra water movement.

On a 20 gallon tank you could wait a few months and add a skimmer- but there are plusses and minuses there, read up on good quality skimmers and get some more opinions before you spend the extra $. If I were you I would maybe at least add one more powerhead, perhaps in an opposing corner. More water movement obviously makes a big difference in water quality.

Good luck!

Tasha

Tasha is right about the rock. Live sand and rock work as a natural filter.

Regarding the skimmer, I don't have one on my 7 gallon and haven't had a problem. However, they can be very helpful and if you really want one, check around the internet, there are some nice 20 gallon tanks that have a sump built into the back for a skimmer (hidden from view of course).

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to add another small powerhead to the system to increase my circulation.

What are you opinions regarding my choice of bulbs for the 2 55w PCs?

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi Mike,

The lighting depends on what types of corals you want to keep. For soft corals the usual recommendation is about 5 watts per gallon, so what you have would be adequate. I'm not sure what the requirements are for LPS and SPS corals as I'm sticking to the basic soft, hardy corals for now- maybe someone else here can elaborate for you there.

Tasha

printerdown01

Humm... You might find skimming useful in a 20, see what other people have done with thier 20s... Full time skimming might not be nessicary, but part time skimming might be a good idea (if your bioload is low, you might be ok w/o skimming at all). As for inhabitants with 2x55 of PC, I think you would be just fine with almost anything. I would be more concerned about the low light corals than anything else! I currently run 32W of PC on my 12 gallon (about 1/2 of the lumens/gallon that your are going to have), and I have a SPS that came on some live rock that has been in my tank for over a year and doing just fine! Now I wouldn't stick a blue maxima in my tank, that's for sure... But I don't think I would have ANY problems with 64W, which would roughly equate to you having 110W -which is exactly what you are looking at doing... In other works this was the long drawn out way of assuring you that you will be ok! You can def. keep softies, LPS, most if not all SPS, most if not all clams (T. spp.) <- these are the really colorful clams in most fish stores.

Archived