Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Meta's Picotope Paradise (Retired)

MetaTank

Alright, so I finally got the first Pico hooked up to the sump...Originally I had found some nice rigid clear tubing to use for the in-tank portion of my overflow, but my messy silicone job had me paranoid about some sorta catastrophic failure, and instead I just made one out of PVC and painted it black with some krylon fusion. Anyway, remember to go easy on me, this IS my first time trying to keep an aquarium...So far I think I'm doing just fine... :D

Anyway, check out this YouTube video for the latest on my twin Picotopes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, so I finally got the first Pico hooked up to the sump...Originally I had found some nice rigid clear tubing to use for the in-tank portion of my overflow, but my messy silicone job had me paranoid about some sorta catastrophic failure, and instead I just made one out of PVC and painted it black with some krylon fusion. Anyway, remember to go easy on me, this IS my first time trying to keep an aquarium...So far I think I'm doing just fine... :D

Anyway, check out this YouTube video for the latest on my twin Picotopes.

Freakin dope dude! I want a sump lol

Freakin dope dude! I want a sump lol

Right on, it was super easy to do, the hardest part was just hooking up all the plumbing...All in all the job probably cost me around 50 bucks...

$20 for the return pump

$10 for the 10 gallon tank

$6 for acrylic

$4 for silicone

$4 for PVC glue

$10 for PVC and fittings

$4 for Krylon Fusion

Ok, so 58 bucks...But the PVC glue and Krylon will last a long time, and I bought enough PVC and fittings to make 2 overflows...It was a fun little project...Now I just need to find room for my DIY Phosphate/Carbon reactor and DIY skimmer in the sump...lol...I'm not even gonna attempt installing them till I have the 2nd pico hooked up to the sump as well.

Right on, it was super easy to do, the hardest part was just hooking up all the plumbing...All in all the job probably cost me around 50 bucks...

$20 for the return pump

$10 for the 10 gallon tank

$6 for acrylic

$4 for silicone

$4 for PVC glue

$10 for PVC and fittings

$4 for Krylon Fusion

Ok, so 58 bucks...But the PVC glue and Krylon will last a long time, and I bought enough PVC and fittings to make 2 overflows...It was a fun little project...Now I just need to find room for my DIY Phosphate/Carbon reactor and DIY skimmer in the sump...lol...I'm not even gonna attempt installing them till I have the 2nd pico hooked up to the sump as well.

Sweet sump! Where did you find your overflow design? Any problems with it yet? Is it quiet enough?

It's very quiet. I found the design on YouTube, but it's a pretty clever design that will restart by itself in case of a power outage. No problems so far at all, actually my temperature seems so be more stable due to the drastic increase in water volume. Everyone in the tank looked happy when I left for work, and I have the return flow to the pico dialed down a little...but when I turn it to full blast, the overflow keeps up! I just didn't wanna blast my corals at full strength, since it's essentially a new power head I added.

All in all, i have to say it was cheap and easy, but most important of all, it was fun!!

the clear tube should work out well.it will be cool to look in there

Yeah, the clear tube would be nice, but I didn't trust my silicone job, so I decided to go with 3/4" PVC instead...painted black, it's not so bad actually

So about 28 hours since hooking up the first pico to the sump, and I have life in the refugium already...now I need some macros in there for them to hang out in! Check out the quick vid...

Okay! I officially hooked up the second pico to the sump...Let me say, it was a lot easier the second time around...knock on wood...

I have the flow dialed down to a trickle in the new pico, as to acclimate the CUC in there to the new water parameters of the sump, but I'm excited and relieved to have them both hooked up to the sump...

I had to go buy a "T" split for the air line hooked up to the AquaLifter pump, so the one AquaLifter is hooked up to both check valves on the top loop of both picos!

Cant wait to turn up the flow and see what it looks like flowing a little faster! (alot faster actually...wooot!!!)

Well, it's morning now, I didn't flood my picos, and everything is running splendidly! I bought a 100w heater, and put it in the sump alond with my Hydor 50w heater...That way if one of them fails, there is still a little buffer to keep the water from getting too cold...

I also hooked up a couple PC fans to a variable 12v power supply...So I can tune the fans down all the way to 3v, and all the way up to 12v

Also purchased a half moon all glass terrarium from petco on clearance for 12 Bucks!!! My guess it that it is at least 4 gallons, maybe close to 5...We'll find out soon...lol

post-70886-1328042151_thumb.jpg

...I added a ton of silicone to the seams, and I'm hoping I just scored a sweet half moon aquarium to use with my spare HOB ac50 and 2 x stock picotope 9w 50/50 PC's

So, this is the result...My spare AC50 since I upgraded to my sump, my two Picotope 9w 50/50 lamps, and a spare 50w heater in the AC50...I dunno, I know the lighting sucks for penetration, since it's a deep tank, but who knows...

It holds 5 gallons including the water in the AC50, and I might throw my 2 goldfish (named "Chips" and "Fish") in there, or maybe a tank devoted to low light softies and non-photosynthetic corals? Anyway, I have more faith in my silicone job this time around, so we'll see...I still think it was a steal for 12 bucks!!

post-70886-1328085319_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! Don't know if you've seen this site, but it's great for CLEAR PVC. I'm thinking of creating an overflow using this stuff once I have a final design complete-- as it's a bit more expensive than the white opaque PVC.

I'm using 1/2" PVC on my Pico Overflow, which seems up to the task just fine. I read somewhere where a good number to shoot for is 10 water tank exchanges per hour-- something to keep in mind.

Very nice! Don't know if you've seen this site, but it's great for CLEAR PVC. I'm thinking of creating an overflow using this stuff once I have a final design complete-- as it's a bit more expensive than the white opaque PVC.

I'm using 1/2" PVC on my Pico Overflow, which seems up to the task just fine. I read somewhere where a good number to shoot for is 10 water tank exchanges per hour-- something to keep in mind.

Yeah, I was under the impression that turing the water over 10x.hour was pretty much the minimum...lol...I made a 1/2 inch overflow, I didn't like the way it was working, and would rather have the extra comfort of 3/4". Besides, I don't think the 1/2" would keep up with my return pump!

I like that oval tank!

Yeah, big plans for that tank...Already built the overflow for it, just waiting on my tax return so I can buy a return pump, another aqualifter, and I'm undecided on what I want to use as a sump...5 gallon bucket is what I'm leaning towards, keeping as narrow a profile as possible when I find/build the stand.

post-70886-1329116184_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just made a Mr.Coral order, 19 frags for $130 shipped? If half of them survive, I'll be happy! Haha...Other than that, I'm about to set up the half moon tank to start cycling, and I was contemplating bare bottom, minimal rock...I want to run with a sump, should I put LR in the sump or what should I do for filtration?

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, I've been lazy, I'll update my thread soon. I lost my flipcam, but I'll get everyone updated. It's starting to come together...

P.S.-He only shipped 18 frags, 2 DOA...But I'm not even stressin, cause everyone else seems happy so far, and it was still cheaper than I could find locally!

New Frags!!! Sorry, it's been a while since my last update, I took a few quick pics of some of the new frags I got...I've started taking them off the plugs and gluing them to my 'scape! I desperatly need to clean my glass, lol, and my iPod doesn't pick up color at all, but here we go! Excuse the poor photography skills :)

Acan

post-70886-1331369647_thumb.jpg

X-Mas Favia

post-70886-1331369669_thumb.jpg

First try at SPS, Freebie Frag (Polyp Estension!)

post-70886-1331369688_thumb.jpg

Purple/Blue Mushie

post-70886-1331369748_thumb.jpg

Cool Polyps...No Idea, BIG!

post-70886-1331369965_thumb.jpg

Small zoas, VERY BRIGHT

post-70886-1331369978_thumb.jpg

Another Acan

post-70886-1331369995_thumb.jpg

Different zoas, a little bigger, a little pinker

post-70886-1331370010_thumb.jpg

Another Acan

post-70886-1331370248_thumb.jpg

Long Eyelashes!

post-70886-1331370266_thumb.jpg

I really don't know...lol...think it was a free LPS

post-70886-1331370289_thumb.jpg

Pagoda Cup

post-70886-1331370683_thumb.jpg

Left Tank

post-70886-1331370491_thumb.jpg

Right Tank

post-70886-1331370508_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous tank man! Looks like you enjoy the projects. Can't wait until my tank is mature enough for some of the experimentation you've done. Keep it up!

Thanks man! I can't wait to get my new tanks set up, but i've really been taking my time. I gotta concentrate on getting all those frag plugs outta there, and glue everything directly to my scape...Thaat and I DESPERATELY need to take a razor blade to my glass...lol

Haha magnetic glass cleaners ftw! But hey at least you have frags in your tank! LOL :D Staring at an empty tank is still serene but not nearly as much as one with life in it. My Pico was still cloudy when i left for break too lol

Archived