Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best way to get zoanthids to grow

Sashimi

What's the best way to get zoanthids to grow? I hate the way they look on frag plugs when they don't cover the whole plug.

Healthy environment and time... Spend more if you want full plugs

^+1

I recently started feeding mine with cyclopeeze and I now have two new eagle eyes! Not sure if it's directly related, but they seem to respond to it better each feeding!

ApiratenamedJohn

Good water params consistent water changes and feeding. I feed my systems daily and I get at least two new polyps per colony per week.

I say dirty water and heavy feeding works well for me. Guess they'll just grow under any conditions.

Problem is.... With my acros, they don't like no dirty water!!! ;)

Both Zoas and Acans like iodine, and bit of nitrate. Really neglected water will cause Acans to recede.

Drop a dice sized cube of mysis or preferably beef heart in a blender with half a cup of tank water and blend it until it's a cloud. Dose you tank with this with the filters off once a week and zoas will grow like crazy (along with iodine suppliments).

It's the same thing as adding zoo plankton or cyclo foods, but a lot cheaper. Acans will like it to, but the particles are too small for them to grab although they get plenty excited.

Larger zoas or palys like purple deaths, nuclear greens or gobstoppers prefer baby brine shrimp.

Good water params consistent water changes and feeding. I feed my systems daily and I get at least two new polyps per colony per week.

LoL no way I have never seen ANY zoa or paly produce 2 polyps a week.

Very possible on a large colony. My 100+ colony of green zoas grows around the same rate.

thehobdenmarina

like said, feeding. I feed my corals Reef-Roids by Polyp labs, just started about 2 weeks ago, before i was feeding my xenia was tanking a turn for the worse, the day after feeding boom it was back in full force! also my incedible hulk has been closed but when feeding it started to open and has since grown one or 2 polyps :) clean water good calcium, food, fish poop. this helps!

I am been growing and fragging zoas for years and never got 2 polyps a week no matter what size the colony is.

I could only wish my PPE's would do that!!

I'm lucky if I can get 2 polyps every 6 months! :lol:

lol, my eye of ra zoas pop a new polyp every other day, at least. On average, including all of my zoa colonies, I get about 5-10 new polyps a week. Only recently has the growth stopped because there's no more room. That, or they're being stung by my frogspawn and torch and aren't able to proceed any further.

ApiratenamedJohn

I picked up most of my smaller frags about a week ago amd already have 2 new polyps on each. The only

Ones that haven't grown like this are my armor of gods and some pink zoos I got. My yellow common polyps have exploded in growth since I started daily feeding. The darker red and purple zoos have exploded as well starting at three heads three weeks ago and now being at 10.

AspiratedJohn, what are you feeding?

Awpong, same question.

I've been feeding 3-5 days a week for 2-3 months now, and palys & anthelias are growing; the zoas have stopped melting (mostly), but not actually growing, or doing so very slowly. I've been alternating Phytofeast+Rotifeast+Oysterfeast and Reefcleaners' Filter Feeder food and Cyclopeeze.

ApiratenamedJohn

Im going to assume that was autocorrected... Lol

I feed a mix of oyster feast, frozen mysis, and blended brine shrimp. I alternate between target feeding and just broadcasting everyday. I feed enough that it takes about fifteen to twenty minutes for it to almost fully disappear with the filter pumps off. I use instant ocean sea salt and do thirty percent water changes weekly. I top off two times a day.

Awpong, same question.

I've been feeding 3-5 days a week for 2-3 months now, and palys & anthelias are growing; the zoas have stopped melting (mostly), but not actually growing, or doing so very slowly. I've been alternating Phytofeast+Rotifeast+Oysterfeast and Reefcleaners' Filter Feeder food and Cyclopeeze.

I feed my tank daily with selcon enriched mysis shrimp, and once a week, I'll use selcon enriched cyclopeeze instead. I don't target feed my zoas, I just pipette the food into the center of the tank with my mp10 set on feed mode.

I use reef crystals and perform a weekly water change of 10-25% using DI water.

OMG, John I'm so sorry, wasn't paying attention.

I also feed the tank mysis but figure it's too big to do anything for the zoas. I just got a mini-blender so I can try Mr. Blasterman's trick of blending it in tank water.

Thanks, AspiratenamedJohn and Awpong.

Hey guys I kinda noticed that once you have a colony that is too much too count you wont notice polyps one day then 2 day later you notice some new polyps any ways I have these purple deaths in my 10 which are located on my sand bed and have only got 2 new plyps in the past 3 months I feed reef snow what should i feed for rapid growth?

ApiratenamedJohn

OMG, John I'm so sorry, wasn't paying attention.

I also feed the tank mysis but figure it's too big to do anything for the zoas. I just got a mini-blender so I can try Mr. Blasterman's trick of blending it in tank water.

Thanks, AspiratenamedJohn and Awpong.

It's all gravy. No worries, really.

And when I spot feed the larger polyps nab up whole mysis at a time.

Hey guys I kinda noticed that once you have a colony that is too much too count you wont notice polyps one day then 2 day later you notice some new polyps any ways I have these purple deaths in my 10 which are located on my sand bed and have only got 2 new plyps in the past 3 months I feed reef snow what should i feed for rapid growth?

This entire discussion is a little misleading. Although slightly messy water and heavy feeding will promote growth, each paly and zoa species show different growth rates, regardless of feeding and water quality. The higher priced "name brand" zoas are expensive because they only bud 1 new polyp every month.

Probably the best advice I can give to someone who wants a lot of zoa growth is to find a prolific species. The most common zoas such as eagle eyes and radioactive dragons eyes are known to grow really quickly. Similarly, my eye of ra and true dragons eyes grow pretty fast as well. However, in contrast, my devils armor palys have gone from 2 polyps to 7 in 10 months.

Archived