SaltCritters.com

(Biocube 29) A few specific questions...help?

duganderson

I'm planning to buy a used Biocube 29 and I had a few questions.....

1. The owner removed everything in the middle chamber in back. What is a simple and relatively inexpensive option to put in there to support the biological filtration of the tank?

2. One of the LEDs is not working. Are these a hassle or expensive to replace.

3. The chamber with the water pump is only about 1/2 full with water. Is this normal?

4. The tank does not have a powerhead presently. What size and or brand is a good option for this tank?

Thanks

1. Not really needed. You prolly have enough in the display.

2. Easy to replace. Try calling oceanic for replacements. Or just ignore it. 2 moonlights is fine.

3. Keep chamber 2 and 3 filled to where the water level is just below the grate in chamber 2

1. www.intank.com Better innards.

2. www.intank.com Sold each.

3. Can be. Mines not.

4. Budget = Koralia Swanky = MP10 I have Koralia Nano 425 myself. Does what I want with only 3 Watts of power used. Opinions will vary..

Lots of reading on here and following users tanks that match what you want to do.

#1.InTanks media basket

#2. Not stock lighting, maybe a DYI fixture lots of info here to help you find the answer to that.

#3 You can raise that level just by adding water without any worries.

#4 The MP10 is the best of the best power heads, less expensive PH that are also good would be Korila's

Haha Adeline types faster than me lol

1. www.intank.com Better innards.

2. www.intank.com Sold each.

3. Can be. Mines not.

4. Budget = Koralia Swanky = MP10 I have Koralia Nano 425 myself. Does what I want with only 3 Watts of power used. Opinions will vary..

Lots of reading on here and following users tanks that match what you want to do.

I basically agree with this, maybe with a few changes. In my BC29 I have the following:

1. In the middle chamber InTank media basket with a bag of chemi-pure, a bag of phosgard and topped off with filter floss. I also have a Tunze skimmer, this combo seems to work great.

2. My LED moonlights were quirky, so I disconnected them and went with a RK2 moonlight like this:

http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/moonl...419af7dc2c4294c

3. Because I use a skimmer, I raise my water level a lot. Don't pay any attention to the water level mark on the side.

4. I just went with a Vortech MP10 recently because I have mostly SPS corals. But for years I used a Tunze 6025 nano-stream. This worked very well. Plus I did a 10 minute mod on the Tunze so it was actually putting out the same flow as their more expensive 6045 model! I also had it on a timer with a 15 minute On/Off cycle. What you go with will be determined by what type of corals you want to keep.

Also most folks will also upgrade the stock return pump. Popular choices are the maxi-jet 1200 and the Rio 6HF, which is what I use.

Hope this helps ;)

I'm planning to buy a used Biocube 29 and I had a few questions.....

1. The owner removed everything in the middle chamber in back. What is a simple and relatively inexpensive option to put in there to support the biological filtration of the tank?

2. One of the LEDs is not working. Are these a hassle or expensive to replace.

3. The chamber with the water pump is only about 1/2 full with water. Is this normal?

4. The tank does not have a powerhead presently. What size and or brand is a good option for this tank?

Thanks

1. Build a media rack out of egg crate from local hardware store. Less than $10 and probably less than $5. Add poly filter floss from wally world. Get the unscented/untreated kind.

2. Leave it be as they don't serve any real purpose.

3. I fill mine all the way up but it's up to you.

4. Good=Koralia Nano 425. Best=MP10.

Archived