inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 29g first saltwater tank

cdrewferd

RedStang, thanks for the info on the dual outlets. I'll just work with what I have and make it work.

spazizz, you have a point. Not sure if I'm sold on this setup either, but I kind of like the flat rock. Guess I could always turn it on its side and let some zoas or something grow all around it.

Just make sure you have room for corals. I like my scape but since I decided against stacking rock against the back wall space is a premium. Make sure you leave areas for future growth.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just make sure you have room for corals. I like my scape but since I decided against stacking rock against the back wall space is a premium. Make sure you leave areas for future growth.

Yea. I'm going to probably get the other hammer and frogspawn and then really spend some time and get my scape down. I don't really want to stack rock against the back wall either, but it seems to get you so much more space. Maybe with a tunnel or something along the back wall it wouldn't look so bad. Hmm, gotta think on this one for a bit.

Yea. I'm going to probably get the other hammer and frogspawn and then really spend some time and get my scape down. I don't really want to stack rock against the back wall either, but it seems to get you so much more space. Maybe with a tunnel or something along the back wall it wouldn't look so bad. Hmm, gotta think on this one for a bit.

Yeah, I'm torn between redoing mine before it's too late or sticking with what I have. Most likely I'll stay the course. This gives the fish more "depth" to their swimming area aloowing them some sense of seperation when they want it.

I've picked the spot where I want to build my stand. My concern is it puts the tank right below the house thermostat. Do you guys see any issues with this?

2087cfed.jpg

Just curious -- when you say "acclimating" -- are you just floating the bags and acclimating temp? the LFS and some on here recommend drip acclimating, especially with corals and inverts. Basically, you take a piece of air line tubing (18" - 24" should be enough) and tie a knot into one end. The unknotted end draws from the tank and the knotted end drips into the bag with the livestock (you'll probably have to suck the end a bit to get it started). Tighten the knot until the drip is about 1 drop/sec (mine is faster than that, but it still works fine). Let the water drip into the livestock bag until it doubles in volume, usually 30-45 minutes. I cheat by removing some of the water from the bag first -- with a BC 14, if I doubled each bag I'd basically be doing a water change! I also learned the hard way to place the livestock bags in a bowl of some kind. This method acclimates both your water quality and temp. I think with inverts like the peppermint shrimp this is particularly important. With fish, I just add a half cup of water every few minutes to accomplish the same and that has worked so far. I also will add all the coral to a single bag if I've made multiple purchases. Again, this hasn't been a problem.

I like the rock scape, though I don't have the experience to say anything official about it B) . With a small space, there aren't all that many options and a cube is particularly difficult b/c you're really scaping for 3 views. Great deal you got on your tank!!

Right, that was just temp acclimating. I then added about 1/4 cup of tank water to them every 5-10 minutes for about an hour. On the peppermint I only got to do this once before the second one died. The first one at least made it into the tank before being taken out by the six-line.

Right, that was just temp acclimating. I then added about 1/4 cup of tank water to them every 5-10 minutes for about an hour. On the peppermint I only got to do this once before the second one died. The first one at least made it into the tank before being taken out by the six-line.

That makes sense -- I don't have enough room in the BC14 to temp acclimate in the tank itself. Weird about the shrimp -- info about wrasse is useful, though, I'll be sure to nix that idea! (wasn't a good one in a 14 gal anyway, but they are so cool to watch swim around)

Picked up a 10 gallon quarantine setup from a local club member.

ee53755a.jpg

I'll get this setup and use it as a staging area for everything when I finally build my stand and need to move the tank.

What do you guys think about leaving everything I have in this tank for a few weeks? I would really like to replace the sand, and take the rock out to get rid of some aptasia and bristle worms?

Current list is:

1 clown

1 cardinal (other one died one night, hadn't been eating real well)

snails and hermits

Green Hammer

2 zoa frags

acan

favia

xenia tree

Big weekend for me. Picked up my RO/DI unit, now to get it mounted and plumbed. Bought a few fish and some awesome corals. The guys with the fish and corals are going to hold them for me until I get the stand built and the tank moved. Got the quarantine setup so I can put the fish in there when I pick them up.

Will be building the stand in the next couple days. I'll try and post pictures as the build and move goes.

Big weekend for me. Picked up my RO/DI unit, now to get it mounted and plumbed. Bought a few fish and some awesome corals. The guys with the fish and corals are going to hold them for me until I get the stand built and the tank moved. Got the quarantine setup so I can put the fish in there when I pick them up.

Will be building the stand in the next couple days. I'll try and post pictures as the build and move goes.

Good deal. I still need to find a permanent home for my RODI. Hate having to take it outside to make water...

Got the top and bottom frame done for the stand. 

0b64a952.jpg

I have them covered with plywood already, and the legs cut. Should be putting it together today and painting the inside with Kilz to deal it up. Then skin it, make the doors, and paint. Maybe I'll get all but the outside paint done today. 

What do you guys think about leaving everything I have in this tank for a few weeks? I would really like to replace the sand, and take the rock out to get rid of some aptasia and bristle worms?

Get a six-line and you won't have bristle worms anymore :D.

Worked on the stand most of last week and this weekend. Here is the top and bottom of the stand.

0b64a952.jpg

Here is the stand after getting the trim on.

136acd14.jpg

All the priming is done. Now to paint it and build the doors. Hopefully I can get this done during the week and move the tank this coming weekend.

Got the doors ready to glue tonight. 

65c9049f.jpg

Maybe I'll go back out after the 2 year old is I bed as glue them up so I can sand and paint tomorrow. Couple coats of primer, then paint the stand and doors black. Should be able to do a coat Thursday night, then another 1-2 on Friday since I'm off. Hope to move in on Saturday.

Got the doors ready to glue tonight. 

Maybe I'll go back out after the 2 year old is I bed as glue them up so I can sand and paint tomorrow. Couple coats of primer, then paint the stand and doors black. Should be able to do a coat Thursday night, then another 1-2 on Friday since I'm off. Hope to move in on Saturday.

Nice build! My tank sits on my desk (it's just a 14BC), but I hadn't thought about getting my husband to build me a stand. He does a lot of DIY projects. Hmmm....

Tank in place and filled. 

01e83c77.jpg

Sand storm. 

fadd4b33.jpg

Water is clearing now. Got a big rock from Elite. Not sure if I'm gonna break it up or not. I'll get a pic of the rocks in the morning when the water clears.

Redid the scape a little last night. Had to break the rock I bought from my LFS as it was just too big.

eb708744.jpg

Also got my new fish into the QT yesterday. Here they are acclimating.

d59bd2fb.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Cdrewferd, I too am building a biocube 29 and I'm new. It is up and running and has cycled and has 1 damsel, nassarius snail, and blue leg hermit. I have a media and fuge rack for mine and was wondering how you liked yours and how it was going for you? How did you take your bio balls out? I have heard if I take all of mine out at once it will crash. If u want loc-line it is the 1/2". U will need to sand the stock ball to get the loc-line to snap on as the stock is a tad bigger. Also, if you remove the elbow on the chamber side and use straight tubing it will give you a TON more flow. I used a longe piece of 1/2 I.D. from the pump up to the fitting, then a small piece of 5/8 I.D. to join the fitting and the tubing. I have included a pic. I have the 1200 also. One last thing, have you had any problems with adding things so quickly? Have you checked to see if your water quality changes after adding all the livestock. Thanks for any help. Your doing great on the tank.

post-71651-1326294650_thumb.jpg

gravey, yes they are both dwarf angels. They are currently getting along great in my 10 gallon QT and were in a 10 gallon tank for about 2 weeks before that. If they can get along in a 10 gallon, they should get along in the 29g BC.

mhayes, thanks for all the info. I'll try to anser everything.

I have a media and fuge rack for mine and was wondering how you liked yours and how it was going for you? I really like the media and fuge rack. I've pretty much been running them from the beginning so I can't comment to much on how much they've helped, but they did help clear up the water initially. I'm growing cheato in the fuge basket and actually starting to see cocopods all over my rocks. Nothing like free food.

How did you take your bio balls out? I have heard if I take all of mine out at once it will crash. I took out about half at a time. Did the first half when I ordered the media and fuge baskets. Did the second half the night I installed the baskets. Didn't see any ill effects from removing them in large quantities.

Also, if you remove the elbow on the chamber side and use straight tubing it will give you a TON more flow. I used a longe piece of 1/2 I.D. from the pump up to the fitting, then a small piece of 5/8 I.D. to join the fitting and the tubing. I have included a pic. I have the 1200 also. Thanks for the pic. I've heard people talk about this but hadn't looked into it too much. I'll be doing this soon.

One last thing, have you had any problems with adding things so quickly? Have you checked to see if your water quality changes after adding all the livestock. I haven't noticed anything bad from adding things quickly. I know that people always tell you to go slow, but all newbies understand that it's extremely hard in the beginning. I wasn't doing the water tests in the beginning as I didn't have any test kits. I took some water to one of the best LFS in the Denver metro area and they always said my water was fine. Once I got my own test kits I've been testing every 3-4 days and everything is stable. barely even changes from right after a water change to right before one.

Thanks for any help. Your doing great on the tank. Thanks. Big updates coming soon. Going to pick up some more corals hopefully Friday night. Also not sure how long I'll leave the angels in the QT tank. They've been in that size tank for almost 3 weeks with no sign of ich or anything. They are eating well and are really active. Still trying to decide what to do here. Also doing a lot of research on LED's as that's my next big thing. Want to get better light and also help cool the tank down. Post a link to your build as I'd like to check it out.

I have posted a link to my thread. I just set up a 10 g quarantine tank and plan to get an eel tomorrow and 2 clowns on Fri. I'm looking into LEDs too. I'm thinking of the Marineland reef led 18-24" light kit. It's real thin, only 18" long and is ready to go over a tank. They are made to sit on top of a tank, but with its size I think I can fit it where the stock lights are under the clear plastic cover. I will mod it a little so I can fit it and be able to use the stock switch for it. My Lfs uses them over their coral tanks. Theyre affordable and wont require too much work, thats why i like them. I have posted a link to that site too.

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/389893/m...be-29g-upgrades

http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland...il.aspx?id=3430

gravey, yes they are both dwarf angels. They are currently getting along great in my 10 gallon QT and were in a 10 gallon tank for about 2 weeks before that. If they can get along in a 10 gallon, they should get along in the 29g BC.

Good to hear they're getting along! Keep it up!

Archived