Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He brought them some milkbones. Sadly Tails had no teeth so Zoey got both of them lol.

This blenny is neat. He's hoping around fearlessly. The jawfish is hiding, I think he might be working on a burrow. I've got the lights down low so it's tough to tell.

Awe...poor tails :(

Do you usually leave lights low for a couple of hours after new additions? That's typically what I'll do. I can't wait to see the pics :)

Yeah I usually leave the lights out. I got impatient today though and just turned them back on lol.

The damsel is totally behaving. In fact he's really freaked out and hiding in his favorite spot. I'e seen no sign of aggression.

My brother never turns the lights out when he adds fish to his system, and nothing bad ever happens. I'm the overly cautious reefer....he's the exact opposite. We both have the same success :)

Good news about the damsel!!!!

Some early pictures. I don't expect anything to be fully open/out for a couple days.

The jawfish has picked a spot under a rock right in front. I keep seeing puffs of sand shooting out form it :)

yellowwhip.jpg

purplewhip.jpg

blenny.jpg

That looks fantastic!!!!!!!!

The blenny kind of looks like a lawnmower blenny. How big does it get?

I replaced my gorg with the open brain coral. The gorg was so big I couldn't find another good spot for it so it went to my LFS. I think he killed it though. The last time I saw it, it was missing a ton of flesh :(

Can you trim the gorgs?

Thanks! The blenny is really neat. They are suppose to only get about 2-2.5 inches. He's(can tell by coloring) already a good 2 inches so I don't think he will get much bigger.

Can you trim the gorgs?

Thanks! The blenny is really neat. They are suppose to only get about 2-2.5 inches. He's(can tell by coloring) already a good 2 inches so I don't think he will get much bigger.

You can. I think they are pretty easy to frag/propogate. I didn't even have a good spot for a small piece though.

I think the blenny was a great choice!!!!!

I don't like the color yellow :( Plus the sand bed is for my jawfish.

I'm still considering a bicolor. I don't mind some coral nipping. Heck my damsel has nipped my mushroom and zoas a couple times.

I have a bicolor, almost 6 months now and he's only nipped my GSP a couple times, and that was in on two consecutive days. Other than that, he nips on the rocks for algae and gets along really well with my O. clown. He's a riot to watch and watches everything that's going on, inside and outside the tank.

Update: Sorry, didn't see you already got a different blenny. Enjoy!

The polyps on the purple sea plume are out but the yellow one still hasn't opened up. My hermits have knocked it over a few times. I can't find my reef putty anywhere! Also if my hermits would leave my zoa rag alone for 5 minutes it would open up to.

My jawfish is working hard on his burrow. The tank is a total sandstorm. Fascinating to watch though!

The polyps on the purple sea plume are out but the yellow one still hasn't opened up. My hermits have knocked it over a few times. I can't find my reef putty anywhere! Also if my hermits would leave my zoa rag alone for 5 minutes it would open up to.

My jawfish is working hard on his burrow. The tank is a total sandstorm. Fascinating to watch though!

Hey, I tried sending u a pm, but not sure if it worked lol. I have a question about the Springeri Damselfish. Let me know if u got the pm.

Yup I sent you an answer :) In short, I love my damsel and he has caused no trouble at all.

In other news I have put the blenny up for sale on my local reef forum. He's been attacking my damsel and I'm afraid the jawfish is next The jawfish has been so timid and I believe it's because of the blenny. It was worth a shot. I'm going to get a firefish(regular one) instead to try and keep the tank peaceful. Such a bummer.

On a happier note my purple gorg is looking awesome! It's so fuzzy! Polyps all out and looking good.

The yellow sea whip has shown so signs of life but I left it in there just to be sure. This morning I FINALLY saw some small polyps sticking out so it seems to be adjusting as well.

That's interesting about the blenny. I've heard of blennies with attitude. It was definitely worth a shot :) I'm sure you'll have no trouble re-homing him.

Yup I sent you an answer :) In short, I love my damsel and he has caused no trouble at all.

In other news I have put the blenny up for sale on my local reef forum. He's been attacking my damsel and I'm afraid the jawfish is next The jawfish has been so timid and I believe it's because of the blenny. It was worth a shot. I'm going to get a firefish(regular one) instead to try and keep the tank peaceful. Such a bummer.

On a happier note my purple gorg is looking awesome! It's so fuzzy! Polyps all out and looking good.

The yellow sea whip has shown so signs of life but I left it in there just to be sure. This morning I FINALLY saw some small polyps sticking out so it seems to be adjusting as well.

Thanks.

I have about 5 people lined up wanting the blenny and now he's behaving. Oh well, I just need to figure out how to get the little guy out.

For a replacement fish I'm still on the fence about a firefish. They are very nice but a mid water fish like pretty much every other fish I have/plan on getting. I'm thinking it might be about time I get my clown/clowns. I have wanted one since I first started reefing but put it off because I was worried about them being aggressive to new live stock.

In less interesting news my next equipment purchase will be either a RO/DI unit or an auto top off. I'm still trying to consider which one to get first. I'm leaning towards the RO/DI but an auto top off would be really nice.

In actual tank news, my emerald crab molted again. This time I took out the molt and looked up online about crab gender. Turns out he's male, bummer. I'm heard it's better to have females because they don't get as large or aggressive. He's been a really good crab so far though.

I'm having a break out of hair algae on the sand. It's driving me nuts.

My jawfish is finally coming out today! Since I got him I have seen nothing but puffs of sand and his nose. Now he's fully coming out of his burrow. Such a graceful and neat fish.

My red flatworms are pretty much totally gone and now I have these weird grey mottled flatworms on my rocks. I have no idea if they are good or bad.

Lastly I think my favorite hermit crab(the white one) has passed. He hasn't been moving much in a few days and today I notice a different crab wearing his shell. Hopefully he's just hiding but I have a bad feeling about it. He was my first hermit crab :( A hitchhiker with my reef cleaners purchase.

I can't wait to see the jawfish!!!!!!

Clownfish are a must in a SW tank...just my opinion :)

I hope your hermit just molted and found a new shell! Mine will lay low for a day or so when they have molted. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!!

New Pictures!

fulltankwithfish1.jpg

The blenny is in this one

fulltankwithfish2.jpg

The yellow sea whip is looking better. It's hosting a hermit party.

yewlloseawhip.jpg

The very fuzzy purple gorg

fuzzy.jpg

Plate coral is doing well

platecoral2.jpg

My Damsel

blueyandhammer.jpg

AND...

The jawfish :D

jawfish3.jpg

jawfish2.jpg

jawfish1.jpg