Top Shelf Aquatics

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

It will be a Valentine's Day Massacre....can't pick a more appropriate day for it :lol:

:o Did you kill them or split them?!?!?!?!?!? I hope not kill. I would've paid you to ship them to me!

Yaaaaay clownfish! What are you going to name it? At the breeder I got mine from I learned how they are "its" and them become a sex later. Or something like that. But with two you will always have a pair because they become the sex needed in their community. Sooooo interesting.

A scooter-like fish that is colorful could be a little perching goby like a clown goby. I love the little green ones. I think two gobies in a tank should be proceeded with caution so I can't decide between a green clown goby and yellow watchman goby.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really not sure how to save mushrooms. I just slice them off the rocks, their guts and slime go every where. Don't worry they will grow back in no time. They will never be totally gone :)

I'm really not sure how to save mushrooms. I just slice them off the rocks, their guts and slime go every where. Don't worry they will grow back in no time. They will never be totally gone :)

Was it really stinky? :lol: One thing I noticed when I touch the mushrooms, my fingers feel numb!

NEW CLOWN!

redclownright.jpg

redclownleft.jpg

Isn' he amazing? He's hanging out in an acclimation box so my other clown can get use to him. While acclimating I noticed the water was really cold. The current heater isn't able to keep up so I pulled the heater from my 40 breeder to use in this tank. The freshies can take the cooler water easier ;)

Anyway alpha corals was amazing. I got to hand pick my clown from a wonderful selection of gorgeous clownfish. Paid a bit more than planned but I'm very happy with the result. I also got to watch this guy for a while. He's active and healthy.

omgomgomg

What a beauty!!!!!! Is he smaller than the clown you have now?

The only way I would pay $$$ is if I could buy him in person, just like you did. Lucky you!!!!!

He's so gorgeous :happy:

He is slightly smaller than the one I have. I would have preferred a bigger size difference but I couldn't pass this guy up. She's come up to the box and they have checked each other out. No obvious aggression through the box though.

Deckoz those clowns are gorgeous! Alpha corals had so many neat clowns I wish I had room for more than 1 pair!

I wish we had an Alpha corals over here!

Something SurgicalSense told me she did with her acclimation....feed the established fish so it's nice and full. Add the new one right afterwards with lights out.

Good idea.

I have to add fish at night with my cichlid tank, I never thought of the same idea with saltwater fish.

Your clownfish accepted the little picasso so I don't think you'll have any problems fingerscrossed

Well he went in after the lights went out. She nudged him a couple times but nothing at all serious.

My temperature is slowly rising. It's up from 73 now to 76. Hopefully no permanent damage was done. Everything looks fine but tomorrow will tell.

This morning the new clown is doing very well :) He's so cute!

Now for the bad news. when the light came on I noticed my plate coral was all slimed up and looking bad. I cleaned it up a bit but it still looks really bad. No idea what is wrong. It tried to eat a piece of mushroom yesterday. Not sure if that would cause the problem or not. Everything else in the tank looks good.

Also if anyone local is interested I'm selling hammer coral and purple and green zoas. I posted a thread on the MARS forum.

I'm so happy he's settling in!!!!!! What a little gem :happy:

I bet the plate got a nice sting from the mushroom. Mushrooms really pack a powerful punch! It should recover though. fingerscrossed

Yea harvanii kris over at alpha corals is the man! Gena lol why over there?!?! just look on the website its all wysiwyg :P

Because I'd be afraid to buy without being able to observe first!!!! I know it turned out well for you though :happy:

Well after some research it looks like the plate has brown jelly disease, most likely from the temp swing I had. It seems to be the only LPS affected. I did an iodine dip and dipped it in Revive. It most likely will not recover but I moved it out of the tank just in case. It can spread to other LPS.

Beautiful new clown!! I'm not really into the fancy clownfish, but that one is really awesome!

My suggestion for your plate coral was going to be an iodine dip, so I'm glad that's what you did. Sometimes that is enough to kill off the bacteria and help them heal.

On a happier note here are a few shots from today

New full tank

fulltank216.jpg

My sun coral had been neglected for a while but ow with some TLC it's looking amazing again

suncoralFeb.jpg

You can't really tell from the picture but the centers on my duncan coral have taken on the nicest teal coloring since moving to the top of the tank.

duncanFEB.jpg

Wow man! That Duncan and sun cup coral are gorgeous! I see how Xenia can just take over you tank though! Haha nevertheless the tank looks stunning as usual!

Archived