ReefCleaners.org

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

My little orange clown is not eating very well. He eats a little cyclopeeze (freeze dried) but he spits out the pellets. Any suggestions on food? Perhaps frozen would be better? He's swimming around and acting like a clown. I just wish he would eat better. The other clown eats like crazy.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a handsome pair of clowns :)

I would go for frozen mysis and frozen cyclopeeze. I remember a pair of clowns I had before (they were small) would not eat pellets for me. Eventually, as he gets older, he will devour the pellets.

Congrads on the black and white, nice contrast. I had a pair of black and whites for a while but the female got way to aggressive.

The larger of the two that I purchase on Saturday is eating mysis but the smaller of the two is doing the same thing yours is. I'm wondering what he was feeding them prior to bringing them up. I've noticed that the smaller one will eat cyclopez if I feed it. I also tried some flake and he (it) ate a little of that. So hopefully it will start eating like the larger one is. I noticed that they finally stopped doing their race up and down the glass and realized there were other things in the tank than just other clownfish.

He eats!

This morning before the main light came on I noticed the little clown pecking at the glass so I threw in a couple pellets and cyclopeeze and he ate pretty well. Maybe he doesn't like eating with the main light on? Silly clown. He still isn't eating a lot but he's so tiny maybe he doesn't need much.

I was going to try and contact booyah clowns to see what he was feeding the babies he brought to the swap. I'll try a little flake later today and see how he feels about that.

My little clown has relaxed a bit but the black one is still zooming around. The little one keeps hanging out in the frogspawn and duncan. I would prefer he host the duncan because he's less likely to get stung.

All the extra food has caused my flatworm problem to get to plague proportions. I must have vacuumed out a thousand of them today. I'll do it again in a few days. That should help keep their numbers in check.

Nice looking clowns. I was thinking of getting one myself. I saw a few nice ones but they were selling for $130, which seems alot. How much did you get yours for?

My clown is looking a little better this morning. He is always way more active when the actinics are on. I don't know why. I'm picking up some frozen food for him today, hopefully he eats it.

I just recharged my Purigen and it's drying out now. It looks like new but I'm a little scared to put it in the tank. I followed the directions very well so it should be fine.

I had a nightmare last night that my orange clown got brook and bloat. I'm not sure if saltwater fish can get bloat. I lost some mbuna to it a while ago when I switched foods. It's a terrible disease :(

Luckily it was just a dream. Little orange clown is still doing ok. He's eating but not as much as I would like. He seems fine though. He's getting a little belly pouch.

The damsel is still being a jerk but only to the black clown. She's learned that the damsel is afraid of the jawfish. Whenever the damsel starts picking on her she goes and hangs out by the jawfish. The jawfish doesn't mind the clown but will chase away the damsel every time!

Named the black clown Zora. Been afraid to name the little clown in case I loose him :(

In other news I picked up some rock rubble for the fuge and jawfish. I also picked up several new shells for my hermits. The tank is doing well so not much else to report.

My b/w clown and YTD didn't get along either. I hope things settle down for you.

I've had some scary fish tank dreams too!!!!!! It's always a relief when you realize it's just a dream :)

Hey! Love the tank. You've got a lot of diversity and color in there. The duncans looks huge! I have a black and orange clown pair too. It is so frustrating trying to get photos of them. I've always wanted a jawfish. Your's looks really good! That is the coolest looking damsel I have ever seen. Did you just super glue the gsp to the back wall or what?

I did super glue the GSP to the back wall then it just took off. The back wall has some texture to it so the GSP grows to it easily.

Ok I got sick of the damsel being a jerk after a week so I set out to catch him. I literally had to pull out EVERY ROCK in the tank! Even then it took me 20 more minutes to catch the thing. He's in my fuge right now. I put things back but it isn't like it was. Hopefully it will all be ok. There is slime from the LPS everywhere. Now I don't know what to do. The plan was to remove the damsel for a few days so the clowns could settle in better. But I really don't want to have to catch him again if he ends up being a jerk again.

The little clown was biting me the entire time I was taking the tank apart and putting it back together. Felt like a little pin prick but was annoying. I'm generally pretty annoyed right now. I kind of understand now why people hate damsels lol.

That's annoying. It's such a cool looking fish though. I keep hearing about biting clowns but mine don't... they swim around my hand when in the tank.

I'm still really annoyed but the corals seem ok this morning. The water has been cloudy all day because the jawfish is working on a new home. I'm thinking about not re adding the damsel. I might get a purple firefish instead to keep things a bit more peaceful. Still not sure yet.

That sucks about your damsel. I have never had an issue with mine. I have found that a really small ice fishing hook does the trick for getting unwanted fish out. Worked for me twice :) (Fish were fine both times).

Archived