SaltCritters.com

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

He's really grown on me. At first I was with the majority that all damsels are evil. But he's actually quite a scardy cat and it always busy doing something.

We are topless!!

Oh my..

I have to say I'm a believer. The shimmer is amazing. I had no idea how much light my glass top was blocking out.

The light box I made is super ugly and ghetto but it works. I clearly am not a craftsman.

The screen top on the other hand turned out really well. The plan is to have the screen top on pretty much all the time unless I'm in the room viewing the tank, then it's topless.

Well my jawfish order got cancelled due to not enough people to meet the min order :( I guess I'll have my LFS order one after Christmas.

Super lame.

Oh well, it's never TOO late to add fish, just gives my tank more time to stabilize.

Thanks!

A couple new photos. I won't show you my embarrassing light box.

Topless full tank shot.

fulltanknotop.jpg

Nice little coral grouping

coralgroup.jpg

And my homemade screen top

screentop.jpg

I just love this tank so much :)

Last night I fed the sun coral and both my harlequin serpent stars came out! I hadn't seen the little one since I put it in the tank. It had no trouble grabbing a pellet and stuffing it in it's mouth. My red brittle star is much more reclusive. I'm not sure if he's getting enough to eat.

My emerald crab is destroying all signs of bubble algae and the random macros I have growing here and there.

Also my algae bloom is subsiding. Mostly because my urchin is keeping the rocks very clean. I can't imagine a clean up crew without an urchin. They clean way more algae than any snail. Plus his hat obsession is cute :)

Tonight is a water change night. Before the water change I need to purge some mushrooms. The reds just get out of control way too easily.

Other than that I won't have much to report until January. mostly because I don't like to add anything in December because I leave to visit family after Christmas. Soon though I will hopefully have my jawfish. I'm also hoping to get a blood shrimp. There is a frag swap in Febuary. I'm trying to hold out on more corals till then.

My very short coral list includes:

Pink birdsnest

Green and blue rics

Fire and ice zoas

I'm also really wanting a blue rock anemone. Like this one

PB270120__28614_std.JPG

Reef Gardener gets them from time to time. I'll be keeping my eyes open for one after the first of the year.

Have you ordered from Reef Gardener yet? She's my very favorite vendor. I have NEVER been disappointed with anything she's sent me :)

Sounds like your CUC is doing a great job!!!!!!

I haven't yet but I have only heard good things. She has the mot beautiful rock anemones I've ever seen. Hopefully she will have a few other of my wish list corals when I order :)

I haven't yet but I have only heard good things. She has the mot beautiful rock anemones I've ever seen. Hopefully she will have a few other of my wish list corals when I order :)

I've looked at her gorgeous rock anemones before. I thought about doing a pico of those and sexy shrimp. Can you imagine? So pretty. Looking forward to you getting some :)

For the pros I bought a 12X12 frame and screwed the lights to it then hung it using a bracket and some chain.

lightsetup2.jpg

lightsetup1.jpg

For the screen top I bought a window screen kit but without the screen.

This is the one

I also bought an extra set of corners, hinges, and a handle. I cut the screen with a hacksaw(it was really easy). Instead of typical screen I used an mesh laundry bag.

JuzoLaundryBag.jpg

Put it together and trimmed the excess. It was really easy and it doesn't block too much light. I do regret putting in the door since the bar across the middle blocks light. I only put the top on if I'm not in the room and I'm in this room A LOT. So most of the time it's topless.

HAHAHA! I got him!

I bribed Lil' Bluey(my damsel) out with some freeze dried brine shrimp. It's his favorite and I was finally able to get some pictures!

BlueynoFlash.jpg

lilBluey.jpg

And the purple death enjoying some food as well

purpledeath-1.jpg

HAHAHA! I got him!

I bribed Lil' Bluey(my damsel) out with some freeze dried brine shrimp. It's his favorite and I was finally able to get some pictures!

lilBluey.jpg

GREAT pic. It's so hard to get good pictures of fish since they move around so much, but this is a beauty - both the pic and the fish.

How do you like the panorama pros? You have a lot of them over your tank. I'm seriously thinking about mounting some of these over my bc14 - do you think you could have fewer and still have enough light?

I LOVE the pros!

I had 2 over my BC 14 and could grow anything. I imagine you could just have 1 50/50 and be fine. I have 3 over this tank plus 2 stunner strips. The stunners don't do much besides add some color. For Pros I have 2 50/50 strips and 1 blue/magenta strip. I'm thinking about adding another blue stunner at some point but as far as I can tell things are fine with the 3 pros strips. My tank is 18 inches deep, the BC14 is more shallow.

Thanks!

The damsel is the only fish I have right now :(

Hopefully after the first of the year I will have a jawfish. Then I need to invest in a Auto top off instead of pretty things:(. My top off bottles that came with the tank DO NOT WORK. Last night I tested the salinity and it was 1.030! The stupid bottles were still mostly full and the water level in the back was pretty low. I added some RO and got the salinity back to 1.025. The mushrooms spewed their guts but everything else adjusted fine and this morning everything is normal.

Also i think someone somewhere asked about my urchin? Wel;l he's awesome, everyone should have one! Yes he knocks things over if they are not glued down but otherwise he's awesome. I wish I could have another, but I'm not sure if that would work or not. I really want a Halloween urchin.

Speaking of what I want

1212111-346P.jpg

:wub::wub:

I do like the ones with dots on both sides though. Just hard to shell out $250 for a pair of clowns. Also I noticed the price is 249.99, 1 cent less than the free shipping price :K

Those clowns look amazing!!!! If I were going to shell out big $$$$ on a fish, it would be on designer clowns. Only because they are such a hardy species and the chances of them surviving are so high. My next clown pair will be designer :) I've been admiring some clown pairs on Diver's Den the last few weeks.

I think if I end up buying SurgicalSense's tank when she upgrades, I will then get my designer clowns...maybe :)

Archived