Top Shelf Aquatics

ApiratenamedJohn's cut throat cove (bc29)

ApiratenamedJohn

ApiratenamedJohn

FTS

IMG_0914.jpg

1/20/12

Equipment list

Koralia evo (750 gph)

150 watt heater

Carbon in chamber two

chemipure in chamber2 ziptied to false floor(thanks metrokat for the idea)

filter floss above chamber two

Stock filter pump

stock lights

7 pounds sand size #1

5 pounds sand size #2

2 pounds crushed coral size #5

40 pounds of live sand (deep sand bed)

25 pounds of live rock

stocking list

1 yellow and brown leaf scorpionfish (Terrance)

1 clark's Clown (Mike)

1 Richardson's Moray eel (Houdini)

1 strawberry crab (Mr. Pink)

1 scutus(freddy)

2 electric blue hermits (1 orange legged variant)

2 zebra hermits

1 scarlett hermit

2 normal hermits

4 pyramid snails

2 turbos

about 30 perriwinkles

at least 2 stomatellas

orange yuma ric

Green finger leather

green shroom

Assorted snails

Assorted hairy mushrooms

Unknown mushy (no id was given)

Assorted zoas and palys

assorted macro algae

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FTS

i just got the bc29 at petsmart on black friday. set it up later that day. it is still just a milky cloud so once it clears up ill post a fts.

Equipment list

Koralia evo (750 gph)

150 watt heater

chemipure in chamber2 ziptied to false floor(thanks metrokat for the idea)

filter floss above chamber two

Stock filter pump

stock lights

40 pounds of live sand (deep sand bed)

23 pounds of live rock

stocking list

once it cycles everything from the 3 gallon tank will be put in here.

any suggestions for the rest?

So you didn't do any of the MODS people do on these guys? I hear all kinds of things about having to swap out the stock pump so you get better flow through the SUMP area etc.

Stock Lights wont support corals either, only your softies and that's it so you actually have a lot of modding to do with the BioCubes to make them reef ready.

Pics? GL

ApiratenamedJohn

I did all the same mods I did On my bc 14 except for making it topless for t5s. I cut the tab and made chamber two a refugium, broke out the false floor In chamber one. . And that's ok, I haven't found any stony corals I really like. Although in the future this will Be getting LEDs. My other tank is doing great with the stock pump, I've got at least two new polyps per colony every week. The Kenya has quadrupled in size since being added 3 weeks ago and the Xenia has exploded with growth since then too. So I probably won't switch it out. Although I do have a bigger rio pump I use for mixing salt so I might swap em out. And pics will come once it stops being so darn cloudy in there.

ApiratenamedJohn

Finally cleared up enough to actually get things where I kinda want them. Plus the algaes and stuff I ordered from reef cleaners came. So of course I had to make it cloudy again. I'll take a pic in the morning when it's clear again.

• 2 weeks later...
ApiratenamedJohn

just went to the stores up in sac yesterday. picked up a richardsons eel and a strawberry crab for this tank. also got a few small frags too. the eel and crab went straight into hiding so no pics of them yet. but here are a few other pics.

6497474671_772af3b467_z.jpg

here is the shroom that needs an id? and a hermit

6497470079_ed32b6af2f_z.jpg

terrance claiming his spot in his new tank.

6497469299_813ff41661_z.jpg

6497468423_63d4002231_z.jpg

got this rock of hairy shrooms and zoas for 30 bucks a while back ago.

6497460419_36a64fef84_z.jpg

blue hermit and terrance

6497461461_6618b464f7_z.jpg

a small frag i got for free this weekend

6497462405_b0f0548613_z.jpg

another frag

6497464835_c7d0ec9643_z.jpg

mushy

6497465589_1d40f5b0c1_z.jpg

Small frag of pink zoas

i will post pics of the eel and crab as they get braver.

ApiratenamedJohn

here is a ghetto pic of the eel before he decided to go all saddam hussein and hide in his hole. the tank is still a mess from floating the bags.

6497831835_a290df288d_z.jpg

ApiratenamedJohn

Been creepin on the eel and crab tonight. The crab is pretty brave, he doesn't mind being out in the open. But as soon as I put a light on him he freezes. As soon as I turn it off he scurrys away. The eel is starting to venture out a little bit. He finally almost left his hole, he stretched across the cave before he caught sight of me. He promptly went back to turtle heading out of the hole. Maybe in a couple days I'll be able to get a better pic.

ApiratenamedJohn

The eel is still pretty shy. The strawberry crab is getting braver, but still isn't in a good spot for pictures. :/ got a few more frags for this tank. Will put uP some pics soon when I get the frags where I want em.

You Australian now? LMAO

Looks great

LOL! nope im an australian pirate!

i would love to hear about the husbandry and care of a leaf scorpion-fish before i ship off.. me ships loaded to the gunwalls and bilged on her anchor. im bout to bring a spring upon her cable and come about to hang the jib aussi style bling! :huh:

LOL! nope im an australian pirate!

i would love to hear about the husbandry and care of a leaf scorpion-fish before i ship off.. me ships loaded to the gunwalls and bilged on her anchor. im bout to bring a spring upon her cable and come about to hang the jib aussi style bling! :huh:

At least you went all out! LMFAO!

ApiratenamedJohn

Thanks for the compliments.

YAAARRR I believe I may be able to tell ye what ya want to hear.

He is actually pretty simple. He likes open space and some flow. He spends most of his time out in the open swaying like a leaf in the current or perched up on a rock. I feed him live foods a 2-3 times a week. Either a few ghost shrimps or one peppermint shrimp or a small damsel. He is one of my favorite fishes too. I want to eventually get at least one more of a different color for this tank.

Thanks for the compliments.

YAAARRR I believe I may be able to tell ye what ya want to hear.

He is actually pretty simple. He likes open space and some flow. He spends most of his time out in the open swaying like a leaf in the current or perched up on a rock. I feed him live foods a 2-3 times a week. Either a few ghost shrimps or one peppermint shrimp or a small damsel. He is one of my favorite fishes too. I want to eventually get at least one more of a different color for this tank.

i just went and looked at your other tank thread and found more pics and stuff. that's a really cool fish and i will be following this to learn more about them as you go... and to check out the sweet makings of a not your average tank... i like that!

• 2 weeks later...
ApiratenamedJohn

ok, went up to sac for a going out of business sale at tropical aquarium specialties. got a bunch of corals for this tank, and a few things for the bc14. here are some pics of the bc29.

6562768437_06a8c2c5a8_z.jpg

6562767951_d67ec39641_z.jpg

6562767377_634022347c_z.jpg

was given no name for these little reddish dudes. was just told they would do well under the stock hood and with oyster feast.

6562765661_e58117676e_z.jpg

really needs to be fragged...

6562786337_678cec9694_z.jpg

6562785717_86c8f561f1_z.jpg

6562784541_96e9203b1f_z.jpg

that little green thing is some sort of algae im thinking. id please if you know.

6562764527_f5ab83aed4_z.jpg

6562764033_5bcf926235_z.jpg

6562763291_e0b9ee593a_z.jpg

6562760441_11e62b926f_z.jpg

just ignore the nuisance algae...

6562759921_bbcf38b17e_z.jpg

6562758815_3dbde2ed81_z.jpg

much greener in person.

6562756343_d675844dd7_z.jpg

ApiratenamedJohn

Can't sleep tonight. So naturally I've been up staring at this tank, hoping to catch more then just a glimpse of the eel in the rockwork. Has anyone else on here owned a richardsons moray? Are they always this reclusive?

I'm thinking of adding one last tank mate to this tank to complete it. Maybe two if I find the right crab. Any ideas on fish though? My lfs has another yellow leaf scorpion fish, but I was hoping to get one of another color. I was think either another leaf scorpion fish or an angler of some sort or a dwarf angel maybe.. Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Your tank is different, I'm really liking it. I'd watch getting a dwarf angel, they are notorious nippers. Mine just walked the plank for munching my zoas then took after my thorny star.

ApiratenamedJohn
Your tank is different, I'm really liking it. I'd watch getting a dwarf angel, they are notorious nippers. Mine just walked the plank for munching my zoas then took after my thorny star.

What kind of dwarf was it? Are some worse then others about nipping?

i didn't know you could keep an eel in a 29 gal.

The richardsons has a 20 gallon minimum. :) and a full length of about 12 1/2 inches.

Mine was an Eibli or red stripe as some call it. Most all are bad for nipping, they will go after coral, clams, and mine took out my starfish also. I wouldn't consider any of them reef safe. Beautiful fish but probably more appropriate for a fowlr.

ApiratenamedJohn
Mine was an Eibli or red stripe as some call it. Most all are bad for nipping, they will go after coral, clams, and mine took out my starfish also. I wouldn't consider any of them reef safe. Beautiful fish but probably more appropriate for a fowlr.

Then the search continues for a reef safe fish aggressive enough to hold its own against the eel. Thanks for the input.

Archived