inTank Media Baskets

Nate's 7.5g Mr. Aqua Cube

npatching

I concur. I went to go buy a camera, $1300 with a macro lense. Not so much the expense, but the time that has to go into learning how to use the camera that I currently do not have time for. I wish I did, always wanted to get into photography.

Was planning on hiring a photographer when our fixtures are complete, might have to fly in Nate. Lol.

Yeah, that would be sweet. Thanks for your comments.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long did it take your corals to acclimate to the new light?

I placed a layer of window screen material over my tank. It took about two weeks to acclimate my coral. My light is 12 inches above my tank.

If you dont mind me asking , what was the total cost on the equipment for this build. I want to do something similar to this but im just low on funds.

Awesome pictures.

I don't remember cost on everything, but I will try to estimate. Keep in mind that this buid has morphed from a hang on back filter to a sump setup. The tank was actually doing just fine with the HOB, I just went a little crazy with the sump idea.

7.5 gallon Mr. Aqua cube $60-80

Stand IKEA "MICKE" storage unit. Measurements without wheels attached: L=24", H=27", W=19.5" $70

150W Jager Eheim Heater $20

Mag 5 return pump $70

Hydor Slim Skim Nano $100

12g aquaeuro AIO sump $40

Subcurrent Filter in sump Running Chemi pure/Purigen $20

autotopoff.com ATO $40

5 gallon water change once every 2 weeks with Reef Crystals salt.

Pinpoint Ph Probe Used $40

Ledtric 18W Par38 TruPop reef lamp $100

Ikea fixture "Foto" nice because the cord is 15' and plugs right into the wall. $14

Filter sock, Chaeto, and live rock in the sump. dry rock $40

Eshopps nano overflow used $25

$639 with all my crazy add ons.

Could do the build with just a stand, tank, heater, AquaClear 70 or 50, and a light of your choosing. Could be done for less than $250-300 just depends on what light you go with and what you plan on for livestock.

Yea i was planning pretty much the same thing as you jus using the hob , with everything it came out to be around $400.

yeah, an awesome light adds a bit of $$$ to the project.

• 3 weeks later...

4/29/12 update

I just swapped out my 12g DIY sump for an Eshopps Rs-100 sump. I saw a good deal from a local reefer and could not pass up the sump. Much cleaner setup and more efficient, than my previous sump. I also have a new skimmer in the mail. I bought an SC-60 off of eBay. Way overkill, but whatever. It will be nice for nps corals and help with all the gunk that get thrown into the tank.

I'll post pics when I get some time.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow,

This is awesome. I just bought a 12" cube and was planning on drilling it. Maybe I should go with the eshops overflow. How do you like it? I've always heard stories of it overflowing so i've been scared to use one of those.

Oh wow,

This is awesome. I just bought a 12" cube and was planning on drilling it. Maybe I should go with the eshops overflow. How do you like it? I've always heard stories of it overflowing so i've been scared to use one of those.

Drilled is always the way to go in my opinion, by the eshopps overflows work well.

I have had no issues with mine. You do have to clean the tube out every now and then if you get some algae build up in there, it can really slow down the flow.

Oh wow,

I would have rather drilled my tank. This is a decision that needs to be made early on. I could still drill my tank, but that would be a big job and would rather not upset my tank. I got my eshopps overflow used for $25 and thats why I went with it. My plan was to upgrade to a glass holes kit, but now its a bit late. I think the overflow is ok. It does get dirty, can be loud (I modified mine). hangs off the back and is not as stream lined as a drilled tank.

FireCorals
ledtric-moonpop-moonlights.jpg?474

yours come with that little clamp?

They all do, except they are all black now.

Awesome pictures Nate, can you get a pic of the complete model?

They all do, except they are all black now.

Awesome pictures Nate, can you get a pic of the complete model?

Nice. Thats gonna work perfect for what I'm doing. You guys could swap out the colors and have an amazing fuge light

FireCorals
Nice. Thats gonna work perfect for what I'm doing. You guys could swap out the colors and have an amazing fuge light

And many other things we are developing based around this MoonPop :)

• 3 weeks later...

I really like your build!!!! Looks sick!

My questions:

Is that the PF-nano overflow?

Mag drive 5 seems like a huge pump for the gph rated if it is the above overflow...do you find the return pump is too much for the overflow to keep up? --- the reason I ask is cause I was told by eshopps to buy the mag 1.9 but it seemed way too under powered.

------insight would be great!!!

Thanks and keep up the good work!

JD

Yeah , Its the pf-nano. I'm not using the Mag 5 anymore. It was way to much flow for the pf-nano. I'm using a Quiet One 1200 pump. With such a small tank I really don't need alot of flow. I also have about 3.5 feet of head loss, so take that into consideration. I have a ball valve on the return line so that I could dial back the flow when I was using the Mag 5.

I really like your build!!!! Looks sick!

My questions:

Is that the PF-nano overflow?

Mag drive 5 seems like a huge pump for the gph rated if it is the above overflow...do you find the return pump is too much for the overflow to keep up? --- the reason I ask is cause I was told by eshopps to buy the mag 1.9 but it seemed way too under powered.

------insight would be great!!!

Thanks and keep up the good work!

JD

Yeah , Its the pf-nano. I'm not using the Mag 5 anymore. It was way to much flow for the pf-nano. I'm using a Quiet One 1200 pump. With such a small tank I really don't need alot of flow. I also have about 3.5 feet of head loss, so take that into consideration. I have a ball valve on the return line so that I could dial back the flow when I was using the Mag 5.

Awesome!!! Is the flow enough with the Quiet One 1200? You have an amazing tank and will be following this!

Thanks,

JD

Archived