Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nate's 7.5g Mr. Aqua Cube

npatching

Hey nice tank! I plan on doing the same tank with a boostled par30 and a AC50 or 70 and a koralia 240. Do you think i could do sps?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey nice tank! I plan on doing the same tank with a boostled par30 and a AC50 or 70 and a koralia 240. Do you think i could do sps?

I know you can do SPS with the Par 30. I've done it before.

Hows the growth rate?

It hard to give specifics on growth rate, especially since growth rate is not solely dependent on the light being used. I will say that all of my corals did well under the PAR 30 and growth rate was pretty good. I'm comparing this to my previous lighting set ups which include a Tek light T5 and a 150WMH.

It hard to give specifics on growth rate, especially since growth rate is not solely dependent on the light being used. I will say that all of my corals did well under the PAR 30 and growth rate was pretty good. I'm comparing this to my previous lighting set ups which include a Tek light T5 and a 150WMH.

Tank looks good, I run the same overflow on my 5.5 gallon and it works like a champ. It has gone through 3 random power outages and siphon was never broken.

From the looks of the pics, the sumps water level is pretty high. Is there enough room to compensate for extra water drained from display during power outage?

Tank looks good, I run the same overflow on my 5.5 gallon and it works like a champ. It has gone through 3 random power outages and siphon was never broken.

From the looks of the pics, the sumps water level is pretty high. Is there enough room to compensate for extra water drained from display during power outage?

Yeah, good catch on the water level. I had just re-scaped the day the pic was taken and need to siphon some out down to my safe sump water level, marked with a sharpie.

Thanks though.

• 2 weeks later...
Updates!!

Here's my update after adding the Ledtric Par38 TruPop reef lamp.

Ynv9i.jpg

iCz14.jpg

8ow6V.jpg

The Ledtric Par38 is awesome. Tons of light. Since taking these photos I have placed a screen over the top of my tank to help the coral and anemone acclimate to the blast of new light.

Total LEDs: 12

(6) 455nm Royal Blues, (4) 6500K Whites, (2) 420nm True Violets

Watts: 18

Optics: 60 degrees

I have this lamp a little over 2 feet from the bottom of my tank. Within a half hour my hammer coral had shriveled up. I placed a widow type screen over the tank and will leave it there to allow for the new light acclimation. The fixture is $14 at Ikea. It has a 15' long cord so I didn't have to mess with wiring. I concealed the cord going down the wall with pastic covers that you can buy at Ikea. I painted the covers to match my wall paint.

Here is the link for more info on the lights

http://www.ledtric.com/store/products/ledt...-18w-reef-lamp/

I don't work for Ledtic, nor am I affiliated with them. But, I would be happy to demo future lamps that they may have. ;)

I have owned numerous lights with previous tanks.

T5 Tek light 24"x4 (endless color combos)

Finnex 150 M Pheonix bulb + ATI t5 blue plus

Current USA MH Pheonix bulb

Fishneedit 70W MH

Ecoxotic ecopico LED strips x 5 three mixed 2 all blue.

This Ledtric TruPop lamp is a great color combo. Not too blue, but not too white. Somewhere around 14k I would say. I was worried that it would look too purple or red with the 2 X 420nm violet Leds, but it doesn't.

Never look directly into the light of an LED. I was trying to see the violet color. At first it didn't look like those led were lamps working, but its just a color that was hard for my eye to detect whilst being blasted with a lot of light. I was a terrible judge of color for the next few minutes. Colors pop and I have plenty of light. I would like to try all of Ledtric.com lamps to see what I'm missing out on, but I don't see a way to do that.

I'll be posting some close up tank shots here in a bit.

Update: PAR numbers were taken on a 12" Cube with each PAR38 10" above the water line.

TruPop 18w PAR38 ReefLamp:

Center Waterline: 840

Mid-center Under Waterline: 482

Center Sandbed: 223

Left-Front of Sandbed: 40

Right-Front of Sandbed: 44

Right-Back of Sandbed: 114

Left-Back of Sandbed: 70

Link to Ledtric's Par testing page.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=298034

Looks great!

The Ledtric Par38 is awesome. Tons of light. Since taking these photos I have placed a screen over the top of my tank to help the coral and anemone acclimate to the blast of new light.

Total LEDs: 12

(6) 455nm Royal Blues, (4) 6500K Whites, (2) 420nm True Violets

Watts: 18

Optics: 60 degrees

Here is the link for more info on the lights

http://www.ledtric.com/store/products/ledt...-18w-reef-lamp/

I don't work for Ledtic, nor am I affiliated with them. But, I would be happy to demo future lamps that they may have. ;)

This Ledtric TruPop lamp is a great color combo. Not too blue, but not too white. Somewhere around 14k I would say. I was worried that it would look too purple or red with the 2 X 420nm violet Leds, but it doesn't.

Never look directly into the light of an LED. I was trying to see the violet color. At first it didn't look like those led were lamps working, but its just a color that was hard for my eye to detect whilst being blasted with a lot of light. I was a terrible judge of color for the next few minutes. Colors pop and I have plenty of light. I would like to try all of Ledtric.com lamps to see what I'm missing out on, but I don't see a way to do that.

I'll be posting some close up tank shots here in a bit.

I am very happy to hear you are loving the lights. Please let me know which models you would like to try via PM and maybe we can work something out.

BTW, the reason it is hard for you to see the TV's is because the spectrum is very hard to see with the human eye. They actually help clean up the blues to provide a more crisp look in the tank while still providing an awesome pop and growth for the corals.

I actually started using these on my 12" cube and my zoanthids responded really well. I might use a mixture of these in my new tank.

Thank you for your review!

Mike C.

Do you think that Ikea stand will hold up a 8.3gallons and like 13lbs of rock? Looking for a stand, but don't really feel like making one..

Do you think that Ikea stand will hold up a 8.3gallons and like 13lbs of rock? Looking for a stand, but don't really feel like making one..

I feel like I was pushing my luck with my Ikea stand. Its only rated to 55lbs. Yet, I have at least 65lbs on my stand. It's a nice looking stand and was fairly cheap. It works for my setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with a Par 38 lamp because it fit my 12" X 12" X 12" Mr. Aqua tank just right. I was worried that it woud be too red, but I was wrong. The color is 14k with violets added to give more color punch. The results are below. I tried to match the white balance of the camera with what my eyes could see.

I have been using my Ledtric reef lamp for 2.5 weeks now and my anemone + coral are all very happy. Plenty of light and lots of color.

I used a Canon 20D, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro Lens, Extension tubes. Lighting is Ledtric 18W TruPop Reef Lamp.

The colors and lighting in the photos below show the pop factor in the Ledtric Trupop reef lamp.

4SDaO.jpg

YJMNM.jpg

VHFlD.jpg

NltqD.jpg

Y1Klp.jpg

jTQXi.jpg

EniIY.jpg

xiQLo.jpg

XZqsg.jpg

TGXHP.jpg

nRMCx.jpg

caanr.jpg

Those are some amazing photos! Can we get a FTS showing the light above? Going to contact you about possibly using those photos on our new site.

Those are some amazing photos! Can we get a FTS showing the light above? Going to contact you about possibly using those photos on our new site.

Yeah no problem. I took the photos today. I've been meaning to get back into macro photography and actually it was your Ledtric reef lamps that tipped the scales. What kind of shot or front tank shot would you like? Just a room shot or something different?

Yeah no problem. I took the photos today. I've been meaning to get back into macro photography and actually it was your Ledtric reef lamps that tipped the scales. What kind of shot or front tank shot would you like? Just a room shot or something different?

Maybe something a few feet away from the tank showing the whole setup.

Maybe something a few feet away from the tank showing the whole setup.

Yeah, that's what was missing. I'll get a good fts shot. lights are off right now, but I'll grab one tomorrow after all the coral is opened up.

Yeah, that's what was missing. I'll get a good fts shot. lights are off right now, but I'll grab one tomorrow after all the coral is opened up.

Sounds good, look forward to the pics!

I took some shots today trying to capture the color and overall feeling of the Ledtric TruPop Reef Lamp. I feel like I got pretty close on color and vibrance of this lamp. I had a hard time capturing the intensity/brightness of this lamp. I had to under expose my shots. It is easy to blow out the highlights because the light coming off of this lamp is very intense. My previous light was the Ecoxotic Ecopico lamp X 5 strips (look at previous pages of this thread). That came out to 15W. This Ledtric lamp is 18W, but looks 10 times brighter, than the Ecopico lamp.

April 1st FTS galore.

D6tsp.jpg

UbaYs.jpg

be5Qx.jpg

NKf6B.jpg

s8yi0.jpg

EB0k0.jpg

zV69R.jpg

2mbU5.jpg

pl7Ex.jpg

o3Rx0.jpg

Awesome pictures!!! Sending you a PM in a few!

Took some more pics of the Ledtric Reef Lamp that I bought. Mainly just an excuse to practice my photography.

Ei2FI.jpg

QbE35.jpg

l2nYs.jpg

SWKSu.jpg

fiW4I.jpg

eq2pK.jpg

UlVJF.jpg

XYF76.jpg

Wow, nice camera work - I wish a could find a relatively inexpensive model to take some decent pics like this, but that probably is wishful thinking!

Nonetheless, great photos!

Wow, nice camera work - I wish a could find a relatively inexpensive model to take some decent pics like this, but that probably is wishful thinking!

Nonetheless, great photos!

I concur. I went to go buy a camera, $1300 with a macro lense. Not so much the expense, but the time that has to go into learning how to use the camera that I currently do not have time for. I wish I did, always wanted to get into photography.

Was planning on hiring a photographer when our fixtures are complete, might have to fly in Nate. Lol.

Archived