Coral Vue Hydros

Getting back in the hobby, LED/controller advice?

Mirya

Hi all-

I had kept a 75G mixed reef (that I upgraded to 90G halfway thru) back when I lived in Florida in 2002-2006. I had to break it down and sell it since I was moving to Canada for a Masters program. I pined for my tank the whole 5 years I was in Canada. I was just too busy to maintain a tank. Now I've moved back to the States. (As in this week! I'm still waiting for the moving company to ship my belongings.) In lieu of sitting in my empty apartment staring at the walls, I've been trolling the LFS. I knew I wanted to get an AIO tank after I settled from the move... But, I saw a Cardiff and fell in love and want to get started soon! (I'll be staying in this apartment for about a year, then if the job goes well, buying a house. Once we move into a house I'd like to get a 90G or larger going again too.) I found a used Cardiff on Craigslist, that I hope to pick up this weekend. I also put in an order tonight with inTank for a Tunze 9002 skimmer, the modified cup, and their media basket.

Things have changed a lot while I was gone from the hobby. There are lots of AIO makers now, rimless tanks are the rage, and LED lighting is feasible... So, I've spent the past few days reading the forums (went thru the whole Solana owner's thread, read every thread I could find with searching for Cardiff, and have poked around in various other areas), but I still have some questions.

1) Any concerns I should have about buying used? What will I need to do to clean a used tank before I use it? Vinegar? (A LFS has a Black Friday pricing on the Cardiff too this weekend if I want it new. Would be $140 more than used.)

2) I really am interested in trying the LED route. So many choices though! I would like to be able to do sunrise/sunset and moonlighting. I'd like a mixed reef, moving into some SPS and maybe a clam once things are stable. AI Nano or Sol, Ecotech Marine Radion, and Maxspect Mazarra are the units that caught my eye. Coverage, programmability, ability to support SPS/clams, and to a lesser degree, cost are my concerns. I'm sure there are fanboys for each of these units. Which will fit my needs best? Sell me on it!

3) Controllers. I ran my 75/90G sans controller so I don't know much about these either. It seems like they must be a big headache saver though. (ATO looks like a headache saver too. I plan on getting a Tunze. I used a modified IV dripset on my old tank. I think I want a bit more precision on a nanotank!) RKE or RKL seems to be what almost everyone mentions having. But I know there are many other brands. What makes the RK a favorite? What add-on type modules do I need to get other than the controller? (I honestly need a "controllers for dummies" document to read.)

4) In the Solana owner's thread (post 1167) someone posted a link to a video to mod a Tunze 9002 skimmer. Sounds like people that did the mod were really pleased with it. Unfortunately, that video has been taken down. Anyone able to reproduce the directions?

5) How handy is it to have the wireless Vortech vs the regular?

That's all the questions I have for now. Once I get the tank and start setting it up, I'll start a tank thread too.

I'm pretty new myself. I did a DIY LED project and it came out very nice. I have some pics in my signature. As far as LEDs go read this for some great info. As far as controller go, I don't have one yet. But from what I've read the RKE and RKL aren't the easiest to program, with the Neptune having an upper hand on ease of use. Used tank seem like a dice throw to me, but what do I know. Hope this helps a little.

I went with a kit from RapidLED for my 14G BioCube and love it! I went with 2:1 Royal Blue to Neutral White ratio.

I run a Neptune Apex Jr also which I use to ramp up and down my LED's. It really isn't hard to program and the guys from Neptune are great help.

For my tank the cost was cheaper to do LED's rather than buy a fixture with them because i'd already planned on wanting an Apex Jr.

~Fred

I went to go pick up the used Cardiff today and discovered it had a huge scratch in the glass, right in the front. : ( So, I went to the LFS that had Cardiff's on Thanksgiving weekend sale and bought a new one instead. I'm water testing it tonight. Also ordered a Tunze Osmolator online with a Black Friday discount. Now I sit back and wait for packages to arrive from inTank, Marine Depot, and Nimble Nano. : )

I start a new job tomorrow. I think I'll wait for my first paycheck to come in before buying LEDs, a controller, and a Vortech. (Besides, I still haven't decided which route I'm going with for the LEDs and controller anyways.)

Archived