Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Llj's 5.5g nps pico

lljdma06

I hate drama, I get annoyed when it happens. I was very happy with the 2.5g that is featured below.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=278963

But after I put in the sun corals, I was noticing that I'd lose an awful lot of water. No evap, about 1/2" a day. I always have prepared SW, so I'd add more. It was a slow seep. When I started noticing water on the floor, I knew the tank had a leak. It wasn't the filter either, that's the first thing I checked. So, rather than wait for a huge disaster, I decided to search for an upgrade. I saw this tank at a LFS...

e11cc56d.jpg

They had the 2.5g size, but for $5 bucks more I got twice the tank.

Empty in situ

80cab2e8.jpg

Draining the 2.5g. I never found the leak.

0d718472.jpg

Critters in their buckets. I managed to use most of my old water, LR, and substrate, so I don't expect much of a spike.

e8990013.jpg

Was easy to catch everybody. Even the panda goby. Tank is setup now, acclimating the panda goby again.

7c353c28.jpg

Now, I didn't have enough LR, even mooching off the 8g and the 36g, so I spied this nice gsp at the LFS and the owner let me have it cheap. Now, I've got extra LR.

2fdc0499.jpg

bde8db76.jpg

The next day, I had purchased another LED fixture, but on a whim I decided to use mine on this tank. It's not a lot of light, but if the gsp opened, that intensity is really much better for the sun corals. Sure enough, the GSP were open and doing well, so I kept the light.

f1cc87d9.jpg

th_0b0f8dc7.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm not sure what the plans are. I can add more than I previously thought. Got a bit more real estate now. The GSP really make this tank. When the sun corals open, they are sulking now, I imagine it'll look amazing. I want more crabs, so I'm looking at porcelain crabs now. But as far as other stock is concerned, I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions.

FTS (3/15/12)

8afc4d95.jpg

L

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it looks great in such a short space of time. That GSP is going to be a great centrepiece with your NPS scattered around it. Glad everything survived the move okay.

looking really good :)

I'm super happy with this tank. I may move things around a bit today and move the orange sun to a more shaded spot, closer to the black sun. Today my LFS has a black friday sale on all fish and corals. I'm going to look at my red sun that's on hold and perhaps pick up a mushroom or two. I think mushrooms suite the lower light. My gsp is doing well. Opens, despite the dim lighting.

Newmann, can I haves another pompom crab? I likes them. :)

th_9508f292.jpg

See, mine goes out in the open... It purty.

L

Ok, so I didn't pick up a mushroom or two. I picked up...

2 porcelain crabs (pretty ones like Newman's)

1 very small scarlet cleaner shrimp

2 mushroom frags, but one is crazy!

1 freebie frag

Also picked up 2 ricordea florida mini colonies for the 36g. Oh Boy! love Black Friday!

sooo what is the total stocking now?

and you got white anemone or green porcelains?

Total stocking... I should probably stop now...

1 pompom

2 scarlet hermit (CUC)

1 panda goby (I see him)

Acclimating...

2 white anemones porcelain crabs, they're not really white, but white with brownish spots and patterns

1 very small scarlet cleaner

I think I'm done, and I have to be up on the water changes. This I know. But I already do this because of messy sun corals.

yeeeeea, you could probably stop stocking right now. see how things go and if there is any territorial issues or water quality issues. if nothing bad happens for the next few months, you could get another pom pom crab in there if you really want two of them.

yeeeeea, you could probably stop stocking right now. see how things go and if there is any territorial issues or water quality issues. if nothing bad happens for the next few months, you could get another pom pom crab in there if you really want two of them.

That's a good plan. Was thinking along those lines. Saw the panda goby again! Woohoo! He likes the rock work. All three tanks need a break for a bit. They are doing very well, but it's nice to just sit back & relax. Enjoy the systems.

It's picture and video time! Black Friday goodies!

Skunk cleaner, or Pacific scarlet cleaner... Lysmata alboaslsfhsja (whatever!) I got a little one, he's super cute!

ade905df.jpg

Some funky mushroom frags... I love the colors...

de2b9f35.jpg

Porcelain crab, I got two. :)

cba8d1ff.jpg

fts

1a3464e2.jpg

bb4b7a1a.jpg

Videos...

Porcelain crab.

th_bc01fbe6.jpg

ftv

th_f63cd4c0.jpg

Thanks for looking, I think I'm going to sit back and let this tank rest for a spell. I went a little crazy in Black Friday and got too much too quickly. I'm sure everything will be fine, because I'm on top of things always, but you always worry. My panda's doing great. Comes out on occasion and is getting fat. All the critters seem to benefit from the sun corals' daily feedings.

L

what the heck does the panda goby eat??

He eats, I assure you. He's gained weight since I've got him. No starving fish. I imagine daily sun coral feedings have been good for him and I have a ton of pods in this tank. I'd love to feed him more. I've heard that rotifers are good for them as they are very small and pandas can handle the size. The literature says brine, mysis and other small foods.

I mean what does he eat from you? have your seen him eat the food you give?

Yes, when I first give the cyclops ease, he darts around in the crevices and grabs the floating cyclops ease. Then when I run the power heads after feeding the sun corals (they need the filter off so the food goes into their mouths and they can grab hold), the panda goby is whipping around in the crevices again grabbing small bits of mysis. He moves very fast though and I don't always see him do this every time I feed, but I've seen the pattern before.

Why do you ask? You're kind of freaking me out now.

panda gobies are notorious for not eating in captivity, even more so than other clown gobies.

its good if he eats your mysis and cyclop eeze though!

panda gobies are notorious for not eating in captivity, even more so than other clown gobies.

its good if he eats your mysis and cyclop eeze though!

Yeah, I've heard that about clown gobies in general. I hope mine does well. His behavior so far has been encouraging. He did survive the 2.5g springing a leak and a move, so he's being pretty tough.

L

Nice addition! Love those orange mushies, and the porcelain is pretty.

I am so jealous you all can get cleaner shrimp so cheaply/easily. For some reason in Aus, they run at around $120 ... though I might still have to get one for the 17G.

skunk cleaners do not go for $120 per shrimp, your LFS is feeding you lies lol

I know, that's an insane price. You can't be serious?!? Maybe because of stricter guidelines?

Can't wait to see your pics, lld (I'm stuck behind a firewall that blocks them, only get to an unblocked computer occasionally, grrr).

About getting a second pompom: someone on these forums reported adding a smaller pompom, and the first one killed it! They didn't say what sex the crabs were, but I suspect maybe both were male because others have kept 2 pompoms in a small tank successfully.

This is on my mind, because I've ordered a second pompom that arrives next week, but don't know the sex so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My first is a female so I'm hoping if #2 is also female they'll still get along, but I'm really wanting to get Nestlée a husband! Someone else reported starting w. a female who lost her nems (just like Nestlée) and added a male who shared his pompoms w. her - this is what I'm hoping for!

There are some great photos on the PomPom thread in the Invert forum where you clearly see the diff between male & female.

Very curious: with all this feeding of suns, how do you avoid polluting the tank?

Can't wait to see your pics, lld (I'm stuck behind a firewall that blocks them, only get to an unblocked computer occasionally, grrr).

About getting a second pompom: someone on these forums reported adding a smaller pompom, and the first one killed it! They didn't say what sex the crabs were, but I suspect maybe both were male because others have kept 2 pompoms in a small tank successfully.

This is on my mind, because I've ordered a second pompom that arrives next week, but don't know the sex so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My first is a female so I'm hoping if #2 is also female they'll still get along, but I'm really wanting to get Nestlée a husband! Someone else reported starting w. a female who lost her nems (just like Nestlée) and added a male who shared his pompoms w. her - this is what I'm hoping for!

There are some great photos on the PomPom thread in the Invert forum where you clearly see the diff between male & female.

Very curious: with all this feeding of suns, how do you avoid polluting the tank?

I really want to check out that thread in the invert forum as I curious as to what sex Armand is. Haha, Armand may not be an Armand!

How do I avoid polluting the tank? Big water changes. I do one right now weekly, about 65%, but I may have to increase it to 2x. It doesn't bother me, I have an RO/DI unit and can easily make all the water I want. :) Keeping planted tanks got me used to frequent water changes. I also got a refugium, but with the tank being larger, I may upgrade the refugium...

L

Time for some HD camera fun!

But first two videos...

Porcelain crab doing what porcelain crabs do...

th_7dd5716e.jpg

And my panda goby! He's so much more active since I got the extra critters. He's a delight! I must name him, but let me give it more time.

th_688072e1.jpg

Now for pictures...

fts

ec40382a.jpg

GSP with yes, a lovely aiptasia, must zap that sucker soon!

341c5cd2.jpg

Mushrooms...

abea1441.jpg

Little panda peeking!

3beb9287.jpg

Now for the invertebrates!

Scarlet cleaner shrimp.

54027f1a.jpg

Porcelain crab (closed)

068b34dc.jpg

Same porcelain crab (open sifters)

06d305f8.jpg

Black sun, open

1d4ec50b.jpg

Orange sun, open

09a6ead4.jpg

Pompom crab, Armand.

a528d592.jpg

efa97eff.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm so happy with my tanks. I'm so glad that I started my SW tanks. It's hard work, but it's literally hours of fun and enjoyment. :)

You think I should post the pompom in the pompom thread and see if I can get a sex and an id on the anemones being carried?

L

Have you named the suns? If I got one was going to name it LooWEEkatTORZE, but decided against getting one. Feel free to steal my name if you get the reference.

You're welcome! :P

Have you named the suns? If I got one was going to name it LooWEEkatTORZE, but decided against getting one. Feel free to steal my name if you get the reference.

You're welcome! :P

Well, one is named after a member here who was extremely generous to me when I was first starting out in the hobby. I joke to him that he's the only thing on the planet that maybe eats more than my Orange sun. The black sun doesn't yet have a name, but I'll confess I'm a bit dense, what's the reference?

L

Archived