inTank Media Baskets

Beau's 28g SPS Reborn (pg12)

beau13

I'm blessed to be about that far from Vivid Aquariums. Although I like to scour Craigslist all the time. I'm saving up for more SPS right now and just did a change in the aquascape to accommodate more SPS. Still battling a GHA problem right now. I'm getting some macros next week and I'm going to do a big WC. Hopefully I can get things under control soon.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm blessed to be about that far from Vivid Aquariums. Although I like to scour Craigslist all the time. I'm saving up for more SPS right now and just did a change in the aquascape to accommodate more SPS. Still battling a GHA problem right now. I'm getting some macros next week and I'm going to do a big WC. Hopefully I can get things under control soon.

I understand your GHA problems! I was battling it for weeks until I tried out the hydrogen peroxide thing. It worked great! I have some notes in my thread but then I was still dealing with nutrients and it came back so a week ago when my nutrients were better I drained most of the water out and put 3% hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and and turned it on stream and sprayed all the rocks down. A little got on my SPS but they were fine, but I was careful not to get too much on them. All my GHA is gone now and hasn't come back since then. I let it sit on the rocks for about 8 minutes before refilling the tank. There is a great thread on it. I think the link is in one of my posts.

I'd give about anything to be that close to Vivid! I used to live down there but never got over there. It was before I actually got my tank and I was out in Loma Linda. I'd love to see their 800 in person.

I'd give about anything to be that close to Vivid! I used to live down there but never got over there. It was before I actually got my tank and I was out in Loma Linda. I'd love to see their 800 in person.

The 800 is pretty ridiculous. It's an amazing tank in person.

May FTS! Sorry about the zoas on the sand. I bought a frag that had a bunch of different ones mixed in and I am cutting them apart and putting them on the lower right rock down near the sand bed so they form nice colonies for my zoa garden.

bbae6ad3.jpg

e23fa8e8.jpg

Oh wow,

Your tank looks great. From 3-4-5 I can see the growth in your sps. Sorry if I missed it, but you dosing by hand? Can't wait to see what this looks like 6 months from now.

How do you like the radion? I had an ai sol blue for about 10months and I sold it and went back to T5's because I was losing my red in my chalices.

Oh wow,

Your tank looks great. From 3-4-5 I can see the growth in your sps. Sorry if I missed it, but you dosing by hand? Can't wait to see what this looks like 6 months from now.

How do you like the radion? I had an ai sol blue for about 10months and I sold it and went back to T5's because I was losing my red in my chalices.

Thanks! My SPS are growing like crazy. The first page of my thread has back to back full tank shots. I am dosing by hand. I dose 1.5ml calcium, 2ml alk, and I am still working out the magnesium dosage daily.

I am really liking the Radion. I have much better coloration, especially in the reds, under it than I had under PAR38s. I do wish it had some UV LEDs though. I've read the research and I know that people debate how much they add to coloration but I think it would help a bit. The new AI Vega Color (not out yet) has them and I think eventually they will become part of LED lighting. So far I am very happy with it.

I didn't realize my green birdsnest had grown so much! The tall stick frags behind it are my pink branching acros. They have grown a lot. When I see it everyday it doesn't look like much but this...

3c3facb5.jpg

Woops, the 3-4-5 must have been confusing. I meant march/april/may. I love progressive shots where you can see growth.

I wish I can grow clams but I have the worst luck with them. I would really like to try out a radion. I would buy one, but after being so disappointed in the ai sol blues, don't want to put more money into led's until they've been used a bit longer.

Wow looks great beau....Is your clam unaffected by the torch?

So far so good! I checked the forums and some people had a problem with it but most seemed to be ok. It has only been a couple days. I am keeping a close eye on the clam. I had the torch in the center but it was blocking the view. Since I got the radion it has gone from two small heads to five. I keep it and the xenia for their movement. They add so much to the tank and make it seem alive.

Woops, the 3-4-5 must have been confusing. I meant march/april/may. I love progressive shots where you can see growth.

I wish I can grow clams but I have the worst luck with them. I would really like to try out a radion. I would buy one, but after being so disappointed in the ai sol blues, don't want to put more money into led's until they've been used a bit longer.

I understood what you meant. :) I've actually had great luck with clams. My new ultra blue maxima went through about a week where it was totally withdrawn and I thought it was a gonner, but then I moved it off the sand bed up higher and it perked right up. I've read several lengthy research papers and growing guides published but the USDA and Marshall Island Mariculture group that detail commercial clam growing and the big thing seems to be light. Many people try feeding, but small clams in commercial operations seem to do just fine without it and just with light.

I understand wanting to hold out on LEDS for now. The new AI Vega Color video made me do a double take and doubt my radion, but the radion is modular and I am sure with advances I can change out the pucks easily. I don't run a chiller so I need to keep LEDs.

So far so good! I checked the forums and some people had a problem with it but most seemed to be ok. It has only been a couple days. I am keeping a close eye on the clam. I had the torch in the center but it was blocking the view. Since I got the radion it has gone from two small heads to five. I keep it and the xenia for their movement. They add so much to the tank and make it seem alive.

Thats good if your clams mantle isnt shrinking i guess the torch isnt stinging it...either that or the clam is immune. I agree with you i love the movement they add to any setup my only problem is those tentacles can get ridiculously long and i couldnt risk it stinging my SPS.

In my case the MP10 flow there is slightly vertical and towards the class and keeps it away from things, although if the heads keep growing it is going to get my green birdsnest. I just need to find a good spot for it, or bigger tank :)

In my case the MP10 flow there is slightly vertical and towards the class and keeps it away from things, although if the heads keep growing it is going to get my green birdsnest. I just need to find a good spot for it, or bigger tank :)

I had the same issue in my last tank it eventually got so big there was just no where to put it without it stinging something so i had to sell it.

Day five of my clam being in almost constant contact with my torch coral. So far so good!

Thats great to hear

So I live in in Oregon now and most houses and apartments, including mine, don't have AC and we are looking at a couple days of 90 degree weather with it getting down in the 50s at night. I has this happen for a couple of days last summer when we moved here and just opened all the windows at night and cooled things down and my tank was fine during the day. That was in September though.

This is the beginning of summer and I think I may break down and get a chiller. Any advice on good ones that are reliable, quiet, and a decent price (I am still on a budget here)? I don't have a sump so my total system volume is somewhere around 25 gallons after taking into account rock.

Do you live an a apartment? Might be worth it to gt a window ac unit for those days. For chillers the jbj arctics line is fairly quiet. If tha runs though it puts off a good amount of heat making your room hotter.

Do you live an a apartment? Might be worth it to gt a window ac unit for those days. For chillers the jbj arctics line is fairly quiet. If tha runs though it puts off a good amount of heat making your room hotter.

I do live in an apartment, one with only side to side windows, and the only really good side to side one for that room is about two feet across total, so a 1 foot screen area. :(

I've only had the jbj arctica 1/3 size before, but I was happy with it. But it did put off a good amount of heat.

It is quiet thought if you keep itin your room. I've heard teco's are good as well.

I just recieved an e-mail that premiumaquatics is having a sale on their 1/10th jbj chillers with a 10% off coupon.

Any other thoughts or advice on buying a chiller and what kind?

My ORA Red Planet. It was brown when I got it about two months ago and it has colored up nicely!

191730a8.jpg

My ORA Lantana Montipora Montipora parent colony. I have six frags growing!

afeb9db4.jpg

2bc60623.jpg

One of the first frags. The others are more recent and haven't encrusted like this one.

27cb5755.jpg

Archived