Cultivated Reef

Beau's 28g SPS Reborn (pg12)

beau13

Thanks! I've never glued my stuff together and invariably I've had rocks shift over time, things get bumped when I'm cleaning and end the end it just wasn't how I wanted it to look. Glueing it allowed me to stack the rocks just how I wanted them with just the right ledges and holes for my blenny and for corals. It also allowed me to keep a lot of rock off my sandbed so I can use a turkey baster to blast out and stuff that collects around the rocks.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice tank!

can you add a left and right side...i may want to borrow this scape idea! :happy:

Here are a couple quick shots. Sorry about all the frags and stuff on the sand. I'll be trading in a bunch of them in a week or so and will be able to get more detailed shots under better lighting. My regular camera is in the shop getting fixed.

Left side

9a2a9a2f.jpg

Right side

43140125.jpg

FTS

fe4e78e9.jpg

Here are a couple quick shots. Sorry about all the frags and stuff on the sand. I'll be trading in a bunch of them in a week or so and will be able to get more detailed shots under better lighting. My regular camera is in the shop getting fixed.

Left side

9a2a9a2f.jpg

Right side

43140125.jpg

FTS

fe4e78e9.jpg

thanks for the photos :D

Killer SPS Beau. I really like the look of the Ecotech Radions. I am running Ai LEDs on my Elos mini at the moment but really want to get my hands on one of these. I already have the Mp10 so might as well if I can find the cash for it. Keep up the good work and the pics!

Where did you get the rock you used for your aquascape?

Thanks,

Sam

The rock is actually from Hawaii. The tsunami washed up a lot of coral and other rock onto the lava beds about eight months or so before I gathered it up. It had bleached and cleaned up nicely baking on the hot lava and I picked up about 40 lbs. It is similar to the kind of stuff you would get from reefcleaners

Killer SPS Beau. I really like the look of the Ecotech Radions. I am running Ai LEDs on my Elos mini at the moment but really want to get my hands on one of these. I already have the Mp10 so might as well if I can find the cash for it. Keep up the good work and the pics!

Thanks! I am trying to get better at taking pictures under LEDs. So far the best thing has been to turn the light to about 8,000K and shoot under that. Then it looks about like 14,000K does in person.

Ok so I've been having a little bit of a problem and it has been getting worse as my SPS grow. When I test my water every couple days the pH is continually high (8.4+) and the alk is continually low (6 or less. Water changes seem to solve the problem, but I am not sure what is going on. Calcium is about 460.

I haven't bought a magnesium test kit or supplement yet since I haven't been having problems, and my reefs so far haven't been SPS heavy. Is low magnesium my problem here? I am going to be out of town for a funeral this weekend so I'll have to wait until next week to pick up a kit and test it. Any preferences on a good kit?

What are you dosing?

When Mg is at 1400 things start to stabilize, low Mg causes all sorts of problems with Ca and ALK.

• 2 weeks later...

Off to Upscales in Portland, OR to pick up a frag of Oregon Tort! FTS for May and frag shots will be up later today!

New Oregon Tort! It is just over half an inch and nicely encrusted. FTS tomorrow when everything is looking good!

5c8afd91.jpg

a1aadf9a.jpg

New Oregon Tort! It is just over half an inch and nicely encrusted. FTS tomorrow when everything is looking good!

5c8afd91.jpg

a1aadf9a.jpg

i like!!

Me too, JR! BTW I just looked at your tank. Loving the dimensions! Give me a little time to read through that one. I love your aquascape. Sometime I am going to do a shallower tank. You and Hype make me jealous.

Me too, JR! BTW I just looked at your tank. Loving the dimensions! Give me a little time to read through that one. I love your aquascape. Sometime I am going to do a shallower tank. You and Hype make me jealous.

that make me :blush:

its been a ton of fun building it and seeing all the life change over time. getting the fuge how i want it and more sps. then just let it ride. B)

Very nice SPS collection Beau. Where do you usually get your stuff from? That Oregon tort is amazing.

I think I figured out my crazy high pH and low Alk stuff. I got an Elos magnesium test kit and my Mg was about 1100. I had thought about going with BRS Mg but my tank is so small and it is a bit of work to get it all ready and I wanted something that my wife could do if I was gone, so I decided to try out Thrive Aquatics Mg. I've heard good things about it, and it seems to have done the trick. As of today and after a week of use my parameters were: salinity 1.026, pH 8.3, Ca 480, Alk 7.5 and Mg 1400.

that make me :blush:

its been a ton of fun building it and seeing all the life change over time. getting the fuge how i want it and more sps. then just let it ride. B)

I live in Portland, Oregon, so I usually get my stuff at Upscales and Saltwater Fantaseas. Upscales has a greater variety of SPS frags that are in my price range, but SF has some really nice clams, LPS, and larger SPS colonies. It is close to me (Upscales is about 35 minutes away) so I usually take my frags there to trade in for a store credit for supplies or corals like my strawberry shortcake acropora. Neither place has much in the way of zoas or acans. Once I get some more money I might get some really colorful stuff like Hype has.

Archived