Cultivated Reef

Beau's 28g SPS Reborn (pg12)

beau13

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beautiful tank. Hope you sort out the algae issue. Look forward to more photos.

Thanks! I redid my rockwork a bit and will be posting more soon! I am waiting for things to settle down in it.

I am curious, are you dosing aminos by any chance? The reason I ask is I have battled bryopsis for months, I decided to stop dosing aminos, now the bryopsis is going away on its own slowly. Of course this is an unscientific observation but I am convinced bryopsis loves amino dosing.

I am curious, are you dosing aminos by any chance? The reason I ask is I have battled bryopsis for months, I decided to stop dosing aminos, now the bryopsis is going away on its own slowly. Of course this is an unscientific observation but I am convinced bryopsis loves amino dosing.

I am not dosing aminos actually. I tend to research things to death before I try them, and that is something I haven't had a chance to check into as thoroughly as I'd like. However, I seemed to have solved most of that problem with the hydrogen peroxide dips. I took all my rock out and dipped it and it worked well.

Well it looks like the hydrogen peroxide dips worked. A week later there is no algae on any of the rocks I dipped. There is still some on the frags and rocks I didn't dip, so dipped a few of those today and sprayed the rest with a half peroxide half saltwater solution. Here's a quick FTS showing my new rock work. Sorry about the nerite eggs on the back wall. They are kind of a pain.

f8bb4f38.jpg

Thanks Criley! The restructuring and glueing of my rock set my coralline algae back a lot because it was exposed to air too long but some of it is starting to color up. My torch likes that spot a lot but it kind of blocks the view of things a little. Too bad it wasn't a different color and I'd put it over by my green birdsnest above the clam.

Thanks guys! Give me a minute and I'll get some top down shots up. They aren't as good as yours but it is the best I can do with the camera I have. I was looking at your montipora pic Tron and I can't figure out how to get the colors like that without it all looking kind of blue. LEDs are a real challenge to photograph under.

Top down, left side. My little colony of ORA birdsnest has grown like crazy. I know they are kind of a beginner SPS, but I love the color and they fill in all the empty space while all my slow growers get going. Besides, the frags keep me in supplies and other more rare frags like my strawberry shortcake!

08c32735.jpg

Top down, right side.

6cd5848b.jpg

very awesome. sps looks great

Thanks! I am very happy with the colors for the most part. Pink SPS coming from 400w MH seem to turn brown in my tank for a few weeks then all the color comes back more vivid than ever. I wonder if it has to do with the change from MH to LED?

Here is what I mean:

3b9da958.jpg

edf1c07e.jpg

This is the same coral. It was neon pink like the second picture when I got it, then turned brown like the first picture, and now it is back to normal.

In my top down right side shot, both of the brown corals used to be pink. The highest (in the picture) is a variety of rose millepora and the one at the very bottom is my strawberry shortcake. :(

thats how a piece of digi was when i got it. well ever more brown

8SEgz.jpg

thats the day i brought it home.

seems more purple and green everyday.

thats how a piece of digi was when i got it. well ever more brown

8SEgz.jpg

thats the day i brought it home.

seems more purple and green everyday.

It will be cool to see how that one colors up. I am just now starting to see some bits of pink on my millepora. My red planet was kind of faded when I bought it but it is starting to turn pinkish with some green at the base. ORA red planets look great when they color up!

same here. im new to sps so this is fun to see now it changes over time. the ora birdsnest that i have has been growing like a weed lol. best coral that i have bought so far.

same here. im new to sps so this is fun to see now it changes over time. the ora birdsnest that i have has been growing like a weed lol. best coral that i have bought so far.

I am not sure if it is just birdnest or if it is ORA corals. I have the ORA green birdnest, a pink one, a pearlberry, a red planet, and my rare and wonderful ORA MIMF Yellow Lantana Monti and all of them grow at twice the rate any other SPS I have do, even ones of the same species that I have tried. I've heard from other people too that their ORA stuff grows much faster and retains better color than most of their other SPS.

Anyone else had this experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I read through the whole thread on hydrogen peroxide treatments when I was having an outbreak of hair algae due to trying to feed my new baby ultra blue maxima clam with phytoplankton and oyster eggs. I think I overdid the dose a bit. After a bunch of research, and reading very long papers by the USDA and Marshall Island clam growers associations I now know that you don't need to bother with feeding like that. Anyway, I took the opportunity to rearrange my tank a bit at the time and took all my corals out and dipped the rock in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and tank water. It took care of almost everything. Since then I have drained the top of the tank a bit and sprayed the rocks with the same solution and have been having excellent results. I am still trying to get my nutrients under control, but all I can say is that this worked well for me. I dribble a little 3% peroxide on affected frag plugs and a day or two later they look great! Here are some pictures. I wish I had some from the exact same angles but I redid the rock work so that doesn't work.

Before

8967cbe4.jpg

800744d2.jpg

After

56715798.jpg

This rock was covered and is part of the one second picture up above.

dc087dd7.jpg

April FTS with my modified rock formation and new frag rack!

20894000.jpg

Oh wow! I like this. My tank is just cycling right now and the rock is basically just piled in. I may have to "borrow" some ideas from your scape. That's artwork.

Thanks! I used a little bit of super glue and some plumbers type putty from Lowes. The putty works great but doesn't hold quite as well as I wanted in a minute or two. It is great if you have time to leave it, so what I did was put a little bit of super glue gel on both rocks with the putty in between to help stabilize it and let it have something to rest on and it worked great! I can lift out those two towers in one piece and put them in a 5 gallon bucket if I move and so far I am getting nice flow around them!

Tank looks good. Nice rockscape. Glad to see someone with rock work that is "glued" together. I just finished a new tank using non toxic cement. So it's awesome to see others with new rock scaping techniques. Keep up the good work.

Archived