inTank Media Baskets

Beau's 28g SPS Reborn (pg12)

beau13

So I am thinking about getting some sort of dosing pump. If I go somewhere for a weekend I have trouble keeping my alk and calc stable. Any recommendations? I'd like to go all out and get something good eventually but the Radion was kind of my big buy. BRS has some on sale now and I only dose 2 part. Ideas?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw the weirdest thing! I don't have an anemone in my tank (too small and they move around a bit too much for me) so my clowns don't have on to host in. Today I saw them hosting my clam. They were just laying in it flopped over on their sides! Anyone else seen this?

97091fed.jpg

10344236.jpg

Amazing on the acro, but that's cheating with the bird nest! Lol

How is that cheating with the birdsnest? :)

Your tank looks great..love scape

Beautiful pics BTW

Thanks Rehype! I just redid some of the coral placement a bit today. My monti was getting a lot of flow from my MP10 and was just getting thicker and curling down and growing little bits underneath so I moved it to the little cleft in between the two rock towers so it will get less blasting flow and hopefully start to grow up and in layers a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

New changes! My midas blenny got out again through a one inch space along one side where I had propped back my acrylic cover because it was fogging up. He was DOA when I got home from work, although I am surprised I found him since I have a dog roaming the house.

I have a new midas, and two new additions, a sixline wrasse, and a firefish. I've always like these two and they had some nice color and movement to the reef. My old cleaner shrimp passed for unknown reasons and has now been replaced by a scarlet cleaner shrimp.

I also found out what one of my ORA corals was that was one of my first corals and the only SPS to survive the move. It is a ORA Marshall Island Mariculture Farm Lantana Montipora. Pictures as it grows...

New FTS for 3/1/12

d2f15da1.jpg

The new shrimp

deb0aa33.jpg

And new firefish

566a585e.jpg

Help! I have some sort of algae outbreak and I am not sure what it is. I don't think it is bryopsis, but it might be hair algae. I noticed it about two days ago, and it has since grown to what you see in the pictures. It was just a couple strands that I picked off the rocks, then this! I'd like to ID it so I know what to do. I added a new coral about a week ago, and I am thinking, even though the plug LOOKED clean, there may have been some spores on it because the piece of rock I am holding up in the picture was closest to it and now it has spread to my other rocks. Any help or ideas on what it is and how to treat it? Parameters are all stable, and the only thing I have been adding is 6 drops of oyster feast and 6 of DT's phytoplankton each day, but I've been doing that for a long time.

800744d2.jpg

b3fafec6.jpg8967cbe4.jpg

Ok, so after reading through a 35 page thread on hydrogen peroxide dosing and dipping, and doing a lot of research all over the web, I think I am going to try it. I am going to test it on the frag rock I was holding first, then possibly do a full tank dose of 1ml/10g and see how it goes. Thanks MedRed for contributing to that discussion and for your insights.

The thread I read.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=268706

Hey beau your tank looks absolutely fantastic....great job. Sorry about the algae outbreak I can totally relate as im experiencing a bit of bryopsis. Ive found that lowering my phosphates to the 0.01-0.02 range kills all nuisance algae...Although the hard part is keeping them in that range.

Thanks Rehype! I am going to test the hydrogen peroxide on some frags and see how it goes. I am tempted to do some rearranging in the tank because I tend to get a lot of junk building up in that overhang area because it is a low flow area. I know rearranging sets things back but I just wish it was a little more open or something, especially since I have a long 2 inch space at the back that I can't see and don't use. Maybe this would be a good time to do it and dip things. I love how open your tank is! I wish mine was a little longer.

Ok, Rehype got me thinking, because I really do like how my tank is aquascaped, but I designed it before I got the MP10 and in spite of having a 2 inch corridor behind all the rock for water flow, I tend to get a lot of junk collecting under the overhang and arch area. Any thoughts on rebuilding it or just leaving it?

One option would be to build a bommie/tower miniature version of the center one in this picture. It would give me more sand room and I think create a more open feeling with the narrower base, but I am not sure I want to disturb everything.

5fd565e6.jpg

Or something like this or a cross between the two since my tank is a bit taller.

2793cf34.jpg

Hey beau your tank looks absolutely fantastic....great job. Sorry about the algae outbreak I can totally relate as im experiencing a bit of bryopsis. Ive found that lowering my phosphates to the 0.01-0.02 range kills all nuisance algae...Although the hard part is keeping them in that range.

I'ver heard bryopsis is really bad, and I think I am about to find out because I was looking at some new stuff I found behind my bommie and it is bigger and much more defined and as far as I can tell based on pictures I have seen, I have positively ID'd it as bryopsis. How are you keeping your phosphates that low?

Thanks! Now I just have to decide if I want to reaquascape it a bit to fit the pump and lighting, since I didn't have either when I designed it.

Ok, Rehype got me thinking, because I really do like how my tank is aquascaped, but I designed it before I got the MP10 and in spite of having a 2 inch corridor behind all the rock for water flow, I tend to get a lot of junk collecting under the overhang and arch area. Any thoughts on rebuilding it or just leaving it?

I'ver heard bryopsis is really bad, and I think I am about to find out because I was looking at some new stuff I found behind my bommie and it is bigger and much more defined and as far as I can tell based on pictures I have seen, I have positively ID'd it as bryopsis. How are you keeping your phosphates that low?

I would suggest to leave it.. as your tank looks awesome as it is. The problem with rescaping on an established tank is you tend to kick up detritus while moving things around and they can release excess nutrients back into your water column sometimes causing a spike in phosphates/nitrates. Which in turn would only make your algae outbreak worse. Believe me i speak from experience.

Bryopsis is definitely a hassle but ive beaten it back by running macroalgae in my sump 24/7.(Cheato and caulerpa prolifera are the best at nutrient export) Ive also been keeping a small bag of GFO floating in my sump. At this point im at about 0.05 and im trying to get to 0.02 Im taking it slowly as i dont want to shock my SPS. But when i did this in the past once i got my phosphates between 0.01-0.02 all the nuisance algae begin to turn white and die off.Pretty amazing IMO.

Archived