Top Shelf Aquatics

Beau's 28g SPS Reborn (pg12)

beau13

It's back!

After two tries at reefing, I think I've finally got it. The first tank was mostly destroyed in a bristle worm die off and ammonia spike during a 1200 mile move. The 2nd one was plaqued by aiptasia and then a variety of algae that started after I was gone for a week on a trip and I suspect the fish conned the fish sitter into feeding them copious amounts of food.

Now, after another and final move to a our new house we bought, my tank is settled and I'm taking the things I learned and bringing it back, with some new ideas.

1. While my previous scape of towers was very cool, it left a lot of shadowed areas, and about 2 inches of unused, unseen space behind them, which was good for flow but bad when real estate is limited. This time around (third time's the charm) I've decided to go with rocks against the back wall forming ledges and hiding spots but with a main arch coming out into the tank leaving empty space on either side for flow, growth, and clams. The back wall was specifically designed to hide my heater and funnel flow behind and around the rocks so I don't get a lot of detritus built up in the rocks.

2. I finally broke down and bought a skimmer. I've always wanted the crystal clear water, and even with frequent water changes and carbon, I couldn't quite get there. Also, when I moved the tank it was pretty disgusting how brown the water was when it got stirred up. After a lot of research and since I don't have a sump, I went with the Reef Octopus, BH-1000 HOB. So far the best 3rd best thing I've gotten for my tank (1 and 2 are my MP10 and Radion).

3. I've figured out a lot of my pH and alk swings have been related to low levels of magnesium. This time I'll be watching Mg from the start and dosing Thrive Aquatics liquid magnesium.

I started this tank off with Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria. All I can say is this: it works! Because of our move I ended up adding six fish to the tank within a week of adding Dr. Tim's and I had no spike in nitrates, ammonia, or nitrite. Everything was off to a great start. Now, a month later, I have my first FTS, and an updated list of equipment and livestock since I lost a lot in the crash. Page 12 is where the new reef starts. Enjoy!

July FTS

IMG_4037_zps7e130e55.jpg[/url]

April FTS

file_zps731e43a9.jpg

March FTS

file_zps5467a81d.jpg

February FTS

file_zps8a838138.jpg

January FTS

file-26.jpg

November FTS

file-15.jpg

August FTS
file-7.jpg
More pictures on Page 12!

Equipment:
28g (20lx17wx19h) AquaEuroUSA cube with Oceanic Biocube stand
100w Aqueon Pro heater
Ecotech MP10 (running at 75% reefcrest)
Ecotech Radion XR30w
Reef Octopus BH-1000
25+lbs of Hawaiian rock
20lbs of Argonite sand

SPS Coral
ORA Bird of Paradise
Orange Capricornis
ORA Green birdsnest

LPS
Mystic Reef Blueberry Ice Limited Edition Favia.
Green Torch
Orange acans
Small green plate

Soft Coral
Purple death Palys
Other palys
Green star polyps

Invertebrates
Assorted regular hermit crabs, cerith, nerite, nassarius and bumblebee snails
1 Crocea clam

Fish
Midas Blenny
2 clownfish
1 firefish
1 sixline wrasse

Previous Reef Version 2.0
June FTS
2ad89b3f.jpg

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am hoping to order it this week, although I am tempted to wait until Friday to see if I can get a deal on Black Friday. Champion already has 15% off on them.

All moved in to the new tank! I should have the Radion up on it by the end of next week and I'll get some good pictures once I've put all the corals where they are going to go. Right now everything is kind of in survival mode under the one PAR38 until I get the Radion.

e2458ed7.jpg

Thanks! I can't wait for the Radion! I think it will also make it easier to take pictures under LEDs because I can turn down the blue's and get more accurate (visually) coral and tank colors.

I just ordered my Radion from Marine Depot using the price and coupon match from Champion Lighting Supply. Hopefully Marine Depot will honor the 15% off. Most sites were only doing 11%.

My Radion has arrived! I got the stand built and the light hung and borrowed and friend's computer (I have a Mac) and got it programed.

First impressions:

The coverage is fantastic. I was still expecting the harsh shadows LEDs tend to produce and surprised to see very light shadows and light reaching all parts of the tank. I'd be hard put to tell the difference between this and a metal halide.

The software takes a little bit of getting used to, and I am still trying to figure out how to switch between saved program modes. I am going to be gone for a couple days so I will play with it more later.

It is extremely well built, and I can't hear the fan above the hum of my MP10 on reefcrest 75%. I think this is exactly what my reef needed and it was well worth the money, and even if I hadn't gotten the 15% discount.

bf5358b0.jpg

f5c75690.jpg

2b818484.jpg

Thanks! I am really happy with it so far. My corals are responding well. I have it set as close to a natural cycle as I can but at about 35%. My corals are showing great polyp extension and my clam is loving it so far. I am going to boost it about 5% a week and see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Christmas has come and gone and my in-laws funded some new fish for me! I added a midas blenny (thanks Tron for all the pictures and finally convincing me) and two clowns to go with my single chromis and cleaner shrimp.

fd290c5c.jpg9b505ac2.jpgc2882f5f.jpg

Thanks! The picture with the clowns around the clam is pretty normal extension for my clam. I haven't noticed a lot of difference between my Radion and any other light I've had it under, or that it lived under for a while at the LFS.

SouthFlorida_Tron
Christmas has come and gone and my in-laws funded some new fish for me! I added a midas blenny (thanks Tron for all the pictures and finally convincing me) and two clowns to go with my single chromis and cleaner shrimp.

+1 :)

A bit of a scare this evening. I was sitting in my living room watching tv and heard a splash and thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I went over and found my midas blenny had tried carpet surfing! I am glad I was there to put him back in.

I have an acrylic sheet on top of my tank but it was for the old size from before I took out all the AIO stuff so there is about an inch of open water in the front and 3 in the back. Time to make a new cover! That got my heart rate up! I like the little guy!

Archived