Innovative Marine Aquariums

It is time....Ugly Tank Contest 4

johnmaloney

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fuzzy caulerpa too...wow...the closer I look the more worried I get. So those lights have an off switch right?

The lights are auto timed. I've attempted black outs only to be thwarted by the husband coming home and turning them on again.

The lights are auto timed. I've attempted black outs only to be thwarted by the husband coming home and turning them on again.

Time for a new man imo - Show him that you won dirtiest tank - and that is not good husbandry

Forgot to check back on the contest... Just wanna let you know Neya, I appreciate the fact that you keep your glass clean enough to allow us to really appreciate the true form of the tank. Hahahaha.

Some great entries this year... Congrats to the winner. I was a finalist last year... In-fact my tank was the first picture in this thread, the one with the mag float on the glass ready to mow the grass :) I remember that tank fondly... It constantly kept me guessing "I wonder if X is still alive?".

Actually it's amazing just how well certain things did in that environment... SPS not so good, but softies and many of my LPS corals did great and the CUC was fat...

Oh I was just joking. I have that problem too with timers, they just get pushed forward. :) I will get a clean up crew put together for you this week.

Some great entries this year... Congrats to the winner. I was a finalist last year... In-fact my tank was the first picture in this thread, the one with the mag float on the glass ready to mow the grass :) I remember that tank fondly... It constantly kept me guessing "I wonder if X is still alive?".

Actually it's amazing just how well certain things did in that environment... SPS not so good, but softies and many of my LPS corals did great and the CUC was fat...

Interestingly enough since the outbreak two of my acro's have had unbelievable growth spurts. They had otherwise been slow growers previously. Another common/easy sps has also spurted, I cannot remember the name (it'll come to me). The growth of my montis slowed though.

I've had to be very careful with acans, blastos etc because they get overgrown and smothered. Sometimes finding them again can be a hassle.

Interestingly enough since the outbreak two of my acro's have had unbelievable growth spurts. They had otherwise been slow growers previously. Another common/easy sps has also spurted, I cannot remember the name (it'll come to me). The growth of my montis slowed though.

I've had to be very careful with acans, blastos etc because they get overgrown and smothered. Sometimes finding them again can be a hassle.

they are cool. not very reef safe though.

did I get your address? PM it again if I have, I may have misplaced it...

they are cool. not very reef safe though.

did I get your address? PM it again if I have, I may have misplaced it...

Yeah, sounds like they could bulldoze everything.

I sent my address again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the package just now.

I didn't take unwrapping pictures because there was some slight leakage. Good thing too cause the water was slightly chilled.

I immediately thought "oh no" because one emerald crab was not moving at all and upside down floating.

I decided to float acclimate his bag anyways - to be %100 sure. Good thing too. After a minute he began moving around.

Always double check!

I'll update after.

Like a smorgasbord of surprises.

The emerald crab I spoke of above is doing just fine.

There was also a 3rd super special unexpected emerald - who is ruby colored??? I'm sure of it. It's very pretty.

The fuzzy chitons were surprising looking, showing my complete lack of knowledge I was totally confused for a moment by these ugly fuzzy things inside clam shells. I thought the clam shell was it's shell or something. This moment was quite brief, they're really REALLY cool!

One emerald didn't make it through the night. Surprisingly it was the one that seemed the healthiest :(

It had snuggled in a spot and remained stationary for the night, in the am it was in the sand being picked over by hermits. I'll have to go pick another one up at the Lfs.

The ruby was moving around and eating last night. I haven't seen the third one today, but last I saw it it was moving around just fine - fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived