Coral Vue Hydros

It is time....Ugly Tank Contest 4

johnmaloney

Break out the hose, it is time to top off that tank that has been sitting in the corner - Ugly Tank Contest 4 is now accepting submissions!

Our annual contest highlights the horrible outcomes that happen when you leave your tank with a sitter, let a child under 12 feed the tank, or let the laziness sets in. You make up the excuse, we just want your pictures!

The Rules:

Submissions must have a full tank shot (FTS). Only that picture will count towards the contest, but other supporting close up photos are appreciated. By submitting a photo you agree that we have the right to use that photo in the contest and its promotion, on this and other websites. You also agree that we can edit your image, sizing it for example to fit the thread we will use for voting purposes. All changes will be technical though, we have no interest or plans to touch up your photo etc...

Pictures must be submitted by November 26th.

We will be selecting the worst 9 tanks from those submitted. Each of these tanks will receive a $10 gift certificate. I personally will be choosing the finalists to narrow down the chance of popularity becoming an issue. It may seem like an unfair rule, but this process has yielded much better finalists than other methods we have employed. Each of the finalists will then vote for the tank they think is the worst, but are not allowed to vote for their own tank. In the event of a tie, the finalists will choose in a runoff race. Votes not cast by the end of the week will be forfeit, and may apply against the tank of that contestant so as not to make voting abstention an advantageous strategy. The finalists and notable submissions will be posted here, at the contest official thread beginning November 22nd.

Winner gets a free custom clean up crew shipped to clean the tank!

Each entrant gets a $5 gift certificate. You will have to send me an email or pm with the code you want to use. Just something simple will work, like "Hey John, I posted a photo in the ugly tank contest, I want my code to be "jmaloney" " Just make sure to put the code in quotes or on a separate line.

Show us how bad it can get! Be prepared for some good humored kidding, but please don't be embarrassed. If algae didn't happen I would be out of a job. :)

To Enter:

Simply post a picture here. We will combine with other pictures from around the net. Check back on November 27th for a list of finalists, winners to be picked that week as we receive the votes in from the finalists.

Don't be shy! I am sure we have seen worse. Here is an example of some of the submissions we have seen over the years:

893_0212.jpg

and:

ApiTank08Nov2010.jpg

and don't forget:

IMG_4996.jpg

feel better? :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the famous "Reef Cleaners CUC (and others) vs GHA outbreak!" tank still count? It may not look like this anymore, but could use a refresher crew. ;)

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Clowns hosting my GHA-

th_MVI_0882.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

ApiratenamedJohn

mines ugly but in a different way. its ghetto rigged. although i could use the cuc for that little bit of red algea growin on the sand and lower part of the glass.

post-68009-1321818949_thumb.jpgpost-68009-1321818994_thumb.jpg

post-68009-1321819011_thumb.jpgpost-68009-1321819067_thumb.jpg

for a little backround, the pc ballasts both went out within two days of eachother so i went and got this cheap t5 set up. all i had laying around was some 550 chord and a couple of drywall anchors so viola this monstrosity was born. the hood stays attached cause i couldnt remove it without breaking anything and i still use the moonlights. lol

Oh that was pretty bad lol.. :) Nice looking afterward though I am sure, good color in there behind the slime.

Thank you, thank you very much, yes I take full credit for that evil cyno which led to some very interesting conversations with my tank sitter..... :)

Enter & face site wide embarrassment?

Sure. Once my wifi is up again I'll publish a picture. Too bad I yanked algae out the other day (not like anyone could tell the difference anyways. It's THAT bad)

:scarry: :scarry: :scarry: :scarry: :scarry:

Official entry: Taken today (after scraping the coraline to hide the issue). Where did my corals go? It's like where's waldo. I don't even think a custom crew could fix this. Not more than one inch of rock or sand is visible anymore. I pull and pull. Switching to from tap to RODI was the defining moment when a couple scruffs of algae turned into an algae inferno (believe it or not)

DSCN1912-1.jpg

before scraping..

DSCN1905.jpg

upclose

DSCN1906.jpg

pump to skimmer... Cyano city

DSCN1915.jpg

You'd never know there was SAND below all this.

DSCN1916.jpg

Or Rocks...

DSCN1917.jpg

Or Acans, a monti cap, or mushrooms, or zoas.. I assure you they're in there somewhere and still alive after my weekly cleaning. Sometimes I find stuff I forgot about.

DSCN1918.jpg

I start pruning stuff and then this goes sexual

DSCN1919.jpg

Signs of life

DSCN1920.jpg

wow makes me forget about how bad my tank was a little over a year ago being a finalist :) None the less there is always time for a new beggining and i sware i'll never let it get that bad ever again- new tank is being filled with RODI water - going to be dropping 100 lbs of salt in their or so it seems :)

40B + 20L sump - going to be exciting when all is said and done.

Johny.. ill have the gf order my CuC from you soon - we'll play it by ear on the weather when the best time to ship will be!

Archived