ReefCleaners.org

Best hosting anemone for ocellaris?

Dani3d

I know this topic has probably be discussed over and over but I could not find much for what I want. I am looking for an anemone that stay in the sand and does not become too big and that can host ocellaris clownfish. What is best to get? I have a 75 gallons tank but I want something nano size because my aquarium is loaded with coral and there is not much room.

I have to buy one because my clownfish have started to host my duncan and they are slowly killing it. The duncan can't tolerate the bad treatment any longer and does not inflate.

sign...I hate anemone :(

I know this topic has probably be discussed over and over but I could not find much for what I want. I am looking for an anemone that stay in the sand and does not become too big and that can host ocellaris clownfish. What is best to get? I have a 75 gallons tank but I want something nano size because my aquarium is loaded with coral and there is not much room.

I have to buy one because my clownfish have started to host my duncan and they are slowly killing it. The duncan can't tolerate the bad treatment any longer and does not inflate.

sign...I hate anemone :(

The anemones they are normally associated with are Ritteri (Heteractis magnifica), Giant Carpet (Stichodactyla gigantea), and Merten's Carpet (Stichodactyla mertensii), all these anemones get very large

but you can try putting a bubble tip in there also,most clowns seem to host those.

Now reading this makes me think about how happy i was when my clown took to my haitian and did not get eaten.

RBTA are probably going to be your best bet.. or... honestly get a frogspawn/hammer - much more suitable for a heavily coral populated tank - easy to trim and get rid of excess.... you cant just go hey come here me anemone im going to saw an arm off.

I have frogspawn and hammer and they totally ignore both. When I put a net over my large duncan they went on the smaller one.

They are hosting a turbinaria during the night.

I don't want any carpet anemone as I find them very ugly. The bubble tip is not too bad but I read that it moves and I have tons of coral, so would prefer something staying in the sand or near the sand bed.

I kind of like the ritteri and don't mind if it become quite large as long as it does not wander on my liverock and kill my corals.

Now reading this makes me think about how happy i was when my clown took to my haitian and did not get eaten.

RBTA are probably going to be your best bet.. or... honestly get a frogspawn/hammer - much more suitable for a heavily coral populated tank - easy to trim and get rid of excess.... you cant just go hey come here me anemone im going to saw an arm off.

With most BTA they stay put once they find a spot they are ok with and get fed. Or if you can place a rock on the sand to creat it's own little nem island, as they don't like traveling around on sand.

I LOVE my RBTAs but in a tank with a lot of corals they could be a nightmare. Even if you added one you would have no Guaranty that the clowns would host it. I had over four GBTAs in my tank and my clowns still hosted a sponge. I think you may have to choose who you want more, the Duncans or the clowns.

I wouldn't worry as of yet to be honest. When I first got my clowns I bought them a frogspawn and hammer and they didn't host either. Once I put a couple heads of duncan in there they started to host that and at first the duncan did not like it at all. In fact my female clown even tore at the tentacles or whatever you call them and they were flying all over the tank lol. I was freaking out, but after a bit, the duncan stopped caring and was fine. I thought they would kill it too but it didn't die.

When I moved and lost all my corals, they hosted the back corner of the tank. Bought a frogspawn and still no hosting it. Got them a new colony of Duncans and bam, they went right back to hosting. Duncan is doing fine and growing. Give it time, I think you might be surprised! Both my duncan colonys were able to deal with the clowns hosting, so I am sure yours will too.

I have frogspawn and hammer and they totally ignore both. When I put a net over my large duncan they went on the smaller one.

They are hosting a turbinaria during the night.

I don't want any carpet anemone as I find them very ugly. The bubble tip is not too bad but I read that it moves and I have tons of coral, so would prefer something staying in the sand or near the sand bed.

I kind of like the ritteri and don't mind if it become quite large as long as it does not wander on my liverock and kill my corals.

Heteractis magnifica, formerly "ritteri", are legendary for their roaming and stay almost exclusively on top-mounted rocks where corals are often placed. Combined with their size, probably the worst choice given your criteria. In regards to those criteria, there is only one host species that comes close--H. malu. Other sand-dwelling species often reach 18" or larger. If the size isn't an issue for you, there are several others...

Archived