Coral Vue Hydros

Hey! Summer Summer! Smedric Shmiggory's - an ADA 60-F - reef ledge style!

milk

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What lighting are you using now? How do you like it?

I have 2 nanotuner par38 3w 2b each.. and one all blue boost LED. I have them rigged on a pvc crossbar that goes over the tank. I love the lighting..... I was skeptical at first because nothing was growing, but then I realized that my tank had only been going for 2 months or so... I've found that corals have a period of adjustment usually a month or two before they start going into reproducing mode. If you move them around often, rescape your tank and disturb them etc... they tend to not grow as fast.

But my tank is going on 5 months now and I'm just starting to notice the polyp growth on my zoanthids, palys, duncan and dendro taking off.

nice photo of the snail. he sounds adventurous.

He is.. and full of energy.. actually just witnessed the first turbo snail sperm party in the tank.... lots of streamers at this party..

Your tank is beautiful! It looks much bigger than it really is :)

Thanks! its definately something I keep in mind when I'm placing the coral in the tank...... btw.. I just bought a good size derasa clam, 4" or so.. It seems to scale down the perspective of the tank.. but its soooo oh so beautiful.. i'll post pics soon after I take care of a mishap that happened this morning,

great tank.. cant wait to start my 60-f once i get my lights and sump.

Another 60-f! Welcome aboard the crazy shallow tank odyssey! such a feeling to have thriving reefs in just a few inches of water! - definitely recommend drilling this bad boy

Ok - so the rather SHOCKING news that occurred this morning as I started my daily tank routine.... well... I got electrocuted! ahhh.. not once but a few times after!

I have several items plugged into a somewhat older power strip that I doubt has a good surge protector on it. Well, I did some rearranging with the derasa clam I picked up last night.. Did a few things around the yard, came back in to adjust things again and WHAM! shocked up my arm and into my shoulder.. wow...

immediately unplug everything and try to calm down and think what to do. I had to narrow it down to what was actually producing the current.. had a wire on the 4 pieces of equipment submerged in the water of my tank/sump shorted or come loose??? I don't know, I don't have a current detector and couldn't think of a better way to test then by unplugging systematically and barely touching the tip of my finger in the water to test for a shock... YUP! narrowed it down to the return pump.. but I don't have a backup!

When I shut off the return tank.. being that I didn't put a ball valve on the return tubing, the water will drain back out into the sump, exposing some of the higher placed coral. So I unplug everything, plug up the return, run to the store and buy a new pump. Reattach the return hose.. plug it back in.. what happens.. I get shocked AGAIN with the new pump! WTF! So I finally figured out it was the outlet that had to have somehow come ungrounded. The apartment I'm in was built in the 1920s so I'm not sure whats going on with the wiring, but I rerouted all the plug to a few other outlets.

Everything in the tank is fine - I think since there's no metal in the tank that my finger completed the circuit of the current which is why I got shocked.. and of course saltwater is excellent conductor. But I thought a 3 pronged plug (the powerstrip cord and the return pump) was supposed to be grounded?

Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog...

2vx4ryw.jpg

1zr2v7r.jpg

30t5nkg.jpg

Cruzin one of her routes

dety4m.jpg

28wik4i.jpg

Look at dat vent! ...... dat vent

34gvvuv.jpg

Blue Side of the Tank

ix7cy0.jpg

15rcx9x.jpg

5ba1p2.jpg

28r0f8n.jpg

Hostess cupcake

5xrhpx.jpg

cruisin down under

f0dksm.jpg

wrinkly manatee tail

65qxjq.jpg

look through the forest

20zen88.jpg

i really like your gold clam. makes me want to get another.

thanks - its a derasa so its going to get huge eventually, I had the perfect spot up front for her... everyone in the tank is interested, especially the snails.

Pics of the clown [and chromis] from the evening

LOL!!!!

1z1wvsz.jpg

Naked Clowns (although she is a lady of good taste) are truly stunning in the glow of sunlight -

2qjhdar.jpg

I really like when clowns get the sleepy/stoned look

adyetu.jpg

Healing in the light *ambient music*

14w9efn.jpg

well - being that tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day - hopefully tomorrow! I'll try and er.. snap some pics with my ultra sps camera lens .. god where to put them.. no room .. this is where aquascaping truly puts on the heat

hopefully they'll do well though - I have a small brown acro frag that was given to me almost all bleached, but has since regained about half the color - although a tiny bit of algae has grown on the crown.. These are very healthy frags however!

I'm thinking of putting the pocci on a small rock in the middle by the clam and the 4" birdnest in between the pagoda and duncan on a small rock on the substrate.

wow - rescaping during a hot day with no AC with HUGE sps pieces and 10 other frags I picked up in a tiny 8 gallon tank thats already stuffed.... had to listen to shakti (look them up!)

not teasing - just sayin - pics are going up tomorrow ..... uh... not quite where I want it yet, sps pissed off haha

haha yeah - well I ended up getting *uh hum*..... WAY more than I intended .. like 5+ zoa rocks, 5 sps frags and colonies; hard to pass up a good deal!

Archived