SaltCritters.com

Hey! Summer Summer! Smedric Shmiggory's - an ADA 60-F - reef ledge style!

milk

Yeah; lots has happened since LP... That sps was originally bleached in an older tank when i shocked it from t5s to leds.Ill post some updates later.. But basically I upgraded with an ro.di unit so no more 10pm walgreens runs for distilled water lol. Have picked up some nice hairy shrooms, a new cup coral, xenia and such.

I bleached a #### load of SPS when I switched tanks I know its not fun

I still run to the supermarket at 10pm lol

Where are the photos of these new corals you speak of

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anthelia is like xenia, it easily reproduces and will end up on the other side of the aquarium, with none in between, it won't split like most coral, but instead just take over...plus your tank will smell funny...go smell some of his anthelia..I'm certain you'll change your mind lol. You could always do an idea that I had for a camera and setup a cnc style rod & actuator motors with a camera on the mount...

Like pull it out and smell it? Does it stick in the water? That'd be really cool actually haha! sorry I get involved these things...

lets start a personal reef camera company... sell em for $200 a pop

I bleached a #### load of SPS when I switched tanks I know its not fun

I still run to the supermarket at 10pm lol

Where are the photos of these new corals you speak of

they comin g, hang on lol... Gotta find that sweet spot with those sps, and my grocery money LOL

Well we could sell the actuators, but we'd need a camera that's already bullet proof like the goprohd

wow - i could see what was so interesting in this hole that 9 hermits tried to cram into.. lol

so - I've always had terrible luck with cleaner shrimp in small tanks .. However.. I tried a different acclimation process this time and so far so good!

I usually dump the water in the bag from LFS + critter into a separate bucket and run a drip line from the tank to the bucket for about an hour.. or until the water doubles in the bucket roughly..

I've tried various time lengths with shrimp, and they all seemed to crash after a few days (the whole fall on the side, convulsion thing)...

After some thought.. I've decided it was maybe a matter of temperature shock.. because after an hour, even though tank water it dripping in the bucket.. it still remains significantly cooler than the tank water.

This time I floated the bag in the sump, clipped it to the side, cut a hole and dripped the tank water into the bag for roughly an 1.5 hours. I think I've had success! The shrimp is doing great (skunk cleaner btw).. harassing the coral for their caught meals and so on.

so - I've always had terrible luck with cleaner shrimp in small tanks .. However.. I tried a different acclimation process this time and so far so good!

I usually dump the water in the bag from LFS + critter into a separate bucket and run a drip line from the tank to the bucket for about an hour.. or until the water doubles in the bucket roughly..

I've tried various time lengths with shrimp, and they all seemed to crash after a few days (the whole fall on the side, convulsion thing)...

After some thought.. I've decided it was maybe a matter of temperature shock.. because after an hour, even though tank water it dripping in the bucket.. it still remains significantly cooler than the tank water.

This time I floated the bag in the sump, clipped it to the side, cut a hole and dripped the tank water into the bag for roughly an 1.5 hours. I think I've had success! The shrimp is doing great (skunk cleaner btw).. harassing the coral for their caught meals and so on.

congrats on the shrimp! hope he does well for you

congrats on the shrimp! hope he does well for you

Thanks - he's still happily teetering around the tank. i'm quite impressed with myself.. this is a huge accomplishment and morality booster because they're my favorite to watch in the tank, and they are a sign of good health!

If all goes well, I may add another one in a month or so, I've also wanted a pair of skunks ---- Yar!

• 5 weeks later...

What an amateur I was a month ago - how the wind changes.. P.U. and my tank a month ago - but things have definitely gotten better.

I made a custom light bar out of pvc - picked up another par38 12K for over the tank and lowered the lights by almost 10" (They're about 20" off the sandbed now)

My alveopora died a true death even though I don't use a skimmer and spot fed live phyto a few times a week - guess my tank wasn't old enough

Spotted mandarin and bluestripe pipe coming up next - catch ya on the flip side yo!

18kisg.jpg

szhbsw.jpg

9kxhy9.jpg

8yam4h.jpg

mtb8lf.jpg

I really like your tank pics, nice balance of colours :)

Also - congrats on the success with the shrimpy!

thanks yo - I'm proud of the placement!

I just sold it the other night - This sounds funny to say - but I bought a hydor pico perhaps for another tank and I liked the flow so much in this tank that it seemed better than the mp10, lol!

it's a little more unsightly now, but I really wasn't utilizing the features of the mp10 - figured I could use some extra cash and buy a house...

Nice tank! I enjoyed reading through the history of it. I also have enjoyed your concepts and it looks like you've enjoyed some great grow out despite a few mishaps along the way.

What an amateur I was a month ago - how the wind changes.. P.U. and my tank a month ago - but things have definitely gotten better.

I made a custom light bar out of pvc - picked up another par38 12K for over the tank and lowered the lights by almost 10" (They're about 20" off the sandbed now)

Spotted mandarin and bluestripe pipe coming up next - catch ya on the flip side yo!

18kisg.jpg

szhbsw.jpg

9kxhy9.jpg

8yam4h.jpg

mtb8lf.jpg

Great shots man. I was wondering, are you planning on target feeding the mandarin and pipe?

"My alveopora died a true death even though I don't use a skimmer and spot fed live phyto a few times a week - guess my tank wasn't old enough"

From what I've read, they need quite a bit of micro fauna to survive, especially the pipe fish.

Great tank.

Great shots man. I was wondering, are you planning on target feeding the mandarin and pipe?

"My alveopora died a true death even though I don't use a skimmer and spot fed live phyto a few times a week - guess my tank wasn't old enough"

From what I've read, they need quite a bit of micro fauna to survive, especially the pipe fish.

Great tank.

yeah - that mandarin will absolutely be trained to eat frozen with a net breeder and some live brine shrimp. Once he's eating frozen mysis I'll graduate onto bottle feeding. Anyone know where you can get real ORA mandarins? I'd rather not get a wild caught one..

The bluestripes are a little bit less researched in terms of feeding. They certainly eat pods as a major part of their diet in the wild - but I've seen a good amount of success with training them to eat mysis as well.

Either way I have a phyto culture and a 5 gallons of pod cultures that I've been feeding with the phyto that are going to supplement the tank just in case I acquire a rebellious student in the training.

Everything about your tank makes me soggy in the panties

Sweetberrywine!

haha thanks littlelac! never answered my PM about that date eh? weeeelll take your time setting that tank up, we can go to old town aquarium and I'll show you some kewl klams!

yeah - that mandarin will absolutely be trained to eat frozen with a net breeder and some live brine shrimp. Once he's eating frozen mysis I'll graduate onto bottle feeding. Anyone know where you can get real ORA mandarins? I'd rather not get a wild caught one..

The bluestripes are a little bit less researched in terms of feeding. They certainly eat pods as a major part of their diet in the wild - but I've seen a good amount of success with training them to eat mysis as well.

Either way I have a phyto culture and a 5 gallons of pod cultures that I've been feeding with the phyto that are going to supplement the tank just in case I acquire a rebellious student in the training.

Cool beans man, I'm not a member of any fish police organizations,figured you were planning something.Your tank looks like its a lot older than it is.

Cool beans man, I'm not a member of any fish police organizations,figured you were planning something.Your tank looks like its a lot older than it is.

hahaha well I had to have my alibi ready just in case..

We'll see how the mandarin does with the training (picked up my net breeder today) - I'm waiting on BS eggs to get here so I can do a test batch or two before I buy the fish.

I was thinking about it though - I wonder if bluestripe pipes can be trained to eat frozen in the same way as a mandarin. Hmm, could be different tendencies. I've read a few threads on reefers success with bluestripes eating frozen, especially cyclo peeze.

Thank you so much for the OLD tank comment... very flattered! Its only going on 4 months.........

hahaha well I had to have my alibi ready just in case..

We'll see how the mandarin does with the training (picked up my net breeder today) - I'm waiting on BS eggs to get here so I can do a test batch or two before I buy the fish.

I was thinking about it though - I wonder if bluestripe pipes can be trained to eat frozen in the same way as a mandarin. Hmm, could be different tendencies. I've read a few threads on reefers success with bluestripes eating frozen, especially cyclo peeze.

Thank you so much for the OLD tank comment... very flattered! Its only going on 4 months.........

Haha, yeah, I should probably have an alibi for my stocking too :lol: What can I say, I like fish.

Archived