Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Breeding Snowflake and Snowcasso Clownfish

smitty_1280

Alpha Aquaculture
Very cool. What will you do with 90 tanks lol. I went to your website last night, very nice. Do you sell for Sustainable Aquatics, or provide fish for them? This may be a silly questions lol.

Thanks! I will get some pics up of the 90 tanks later today. I will use them to house clownfish pairs for the site as well as grow out my babies once we start getting more eggs. Right now I'm selling whatever clownfish I like the best. There are a ton of breeders that I still want to work with but haven't yet. I wouldn't say that I sell for SA. More like we work together. They produce the fish, I sell them retail. Its a great relationship. They are an excellent company to work with and I am very grateful to have so many of their beautiful clowns.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smitty_1280

• Alpha Aquaculture

• oceancube

• Luckedout

Thanks! I will get some pics up of the 90 tanks later today. I will use them to house clownfish pairs for the site as well as grow out my babies once we start getting more eggs. Right now I'm selling whatever clownfish I like the best. There are a ton of breeders that I still want to work with but haven't yet. I wouldn't say that I sell for SA. More like we work together. They produce the fish, I sell them retail. Its a great relationship. They are an excellent company to work with and I am very grateful to have so many of their beautiful clowns.

Very cool. Sounds like a great relationship lol. Maybe one day in a few years I can be one of those breeders you want to work with lol. Right now I'm just taking baby steps so I don't get in over my head. I was able to pick up another 29 gallon and 10 gallon tank that I can use for my grow out system. Just waiting for Petco to have their $1 a gallon sell again to get the rest of the tanks I need.

Definitely keep checking in with Petco - they've ran that sale a lot this year and in between they had $1 per gallon pricing on some over stock tanks. I stop in from time to time just in case.

I was able to get my hands on an established 29 gallon system today. I put most of the stuff in my 40 breeder and I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the 29 up or not. But more importatnly there was a mated pair of clowns in there. I'm not sure what kind they are as far as being occy or percs lol. They have apparently already had at least one clutch that hatched in his DT. Here are some pics of them.

they are ocellaris, the eyes are a dead giveaway when trying to tell the difference, an ocellaris eye looks all black with a black iris surrounding a black cornea , where as a percula eyes look simular to a human eye, there is a yellow iris around a black cornea.

ocellaris

ClownfishBTA-300x300.jpg

percula

truepercula1-300x243.jpg

they are ocellaris, the eyes are a dead giveaway when trying to tell the difference, an ocellaris eye looks all black with a black iris surrounding a black cornea , where as a percula eyes look simular to a human eye, there is a yellow iris around a black cornea.

ocellaris

ClownfishBTA-300x300.jpg

percula

truepercula1-300x243.jpg

Thank you so much for the hints when determining one clown from another. I never knew that about the coellaris and percula's.

ocellaris

ClownfishBTA-300x300.jpg

percula

truepercula1-300x243.jpg

Thank You...

I'm just curious about something. My female ocellaris looked like she might be getting rid of eggs tonight while she was swimming. Every video I have seen of clowns laying eggs showed them laying them on something. Is it possible for them to discharge eggs while swimming to just get rid of them? If so, why would they do this?

I'm just curious about something. My female ocellaris looked like she might be getting rid of eggs tonight while she was swimming. Every video I have seen of clowns laying eggs showed them laying them on something. Is it possible for them to discharge eggs while swimming to just get rid of them? If so, why would they do this?

humm never heard of this, usually they lay on a rock or even on the glass, but never seen a female clown just swim and let eggs go,, maybe if theres no male around, but unheard of from me!!! other will chime in im sure!

humm never heard of this, usually they lay on a rock or even on the glass, but never seen a female clown just swim and let eggs go,, maybe if theres no male around, but unheard of from me!!! other will chime in im sure!

I'm not as experienced but I did a Google search and couldn't find anything about this happening. Do you have a picture or video of it?

Thank you both, but I'm not really sure what she was up to. At first I would've said she was "pooping", but I really have no idea. Next time I will try to get a video, but the camera was put away at the time.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I've never heard of it happening either... you might want to start a thread over on MOFIB and see if anyone there might have some input.

Was her depositor extended? I'd be curious to see some video of it happening as well.

I've never heard of it happening either... you might want to start a thread over on MOFIB and see if anyone there might have some input.

Was her depositor extended? I'd be curious to see some video of it happening as well.

Thank you, I know my wife will be watching for it to happen again. I will have to post over at MOFIB like you suggested.

Here are some pics since I haven't really posted any of the clowns in about a month.

Snowflakes:

DSC_0968.jpg

DSC_0967.jpg

Snowcasso's:

DSC_0965.jpg

DSC_0963.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0956.jpg

DSC_0955.jpg

It seems that I am having a little problem with diatoms as well, but I will take care of that lol. I hope you enjoy.

Just realized you are just down the road from me. I'm up in Renton. Good luck with this pair, they are gorgeous fish! I have 2 pairs of B&W's that I'm getting geared up to start breeding, if they decide to lay for me....

I am in Kenmore.....we might all need to get together sometime.

That may not be to bad of an idea. Maybe we should just try and start a club of some sort?

On the 24th of November my clowns in my 40 breeder discharged eggs while swimming. Tonight she did the "breeding dance" again lol. My wife saw the female do the same thing as last time and discharge eggs while swimming again. I watched her for awhile and didn't see it happen again though. They don't clean a certain part of the tank to lay eggs which confuses me. I am thinking of getting a smooth tile to put in there for her. They were both "jerking" around a lot, and acting like she was wanting to lay eggs. Maybe I just aint feeding her well enough to properly develop eggs yet? I just don't know what she is trying to do. All I do know is that this is the 2nd time she has done this since I have owned her lol.

What do u currently have in the tank that she could lay on? Sorry if its a dumb question, just curious

Not a dumb question lol. Currently I have nothing because I didn't honestly think they were ready for spawning. I am going to rearrange the rock work in my DT so I can place either a smooth tile or a 4" clay pot in there for them. I'm thinking this may be the issue since this is the 2nd time in a row that they have done this. At least, I hope this is the problem.

Not a dumb question lol. Currently I have nothing because I didn't honestly think they were ready for spawning. I am going to rearrange the rock work in my DT so I can place either a smooth tile or a 4" clay pot in there for them. I'm thinking this may be the issue since this is the 2nd time in a row that they have done this. At least, I hope this is the problem.

So are they in your DT with rock? The female should have no problem cleaning a spot on the rocks to lay her eggs. This is really a strange situation! I hope it works itself out for ya!