ReefCleaners.org

sponge or no sponge in my aqua clear 150?

Iphantom

I was running a sponge in my aqua clear 150 for a while but after someone advising me to try it with out it I did

but I am not sure if it is a good idea, running the filter with nothing in it at all just seems kind of pointless.

what do you think?

-Matt

Ditch the sponge (I assume that you have LR and LS in the tank). The sponge will just trap detritus and become a nitrate factory.

Yea thats what I was told - so I did

its been about 4 months with out the sponge I just wanted to make sure it was right-should I put anything in the filter at all?

-Matt

Do you run a skimmer? If not, you might want to use "reef safe" activated carbon from time to time, just to eliminate dissolved organic compounds and polish the water.

I don't run a skimmer because my tank is only 7 gallons.

whats the difference between regular and reef safe carbon?

how often should I put it in there?

thanks

-Matt

This is what I'd do, others will disagree or have their own opinion but Id keep the sponge to catch larger debris so its filtered out, then use something like Phosban and Reef Carbon to get all the unwanted chemicals and stuff out. Just make sure the sponge is cleaned everyother week or so with regular maintenence so it doesnt become a nitrate trap like everyone else already said. Ive dont this on my 20 gal and its worked fine for me.

i second Scorchy's advice. Keep at least one sponge in there to get rid of the larger particles, but clean it on a regular basis (i use RO water). That will keep it from being a "nitrate trap".

Another reason to consider keeping a sponge in there is so that you can transfer it to a QA tank should the need arise. That way, if you need to set up an emergency QT or hospital tank, you've already got a biological filter ready to go. Just slap some water, heater, powerhead and the sponge in a 10 gallon tank.

i used to keep the sponge in my aquaclear200, but i got tired of cleaning it every week. i now run only chemi-pure in the filter 24/7. it's an enhanced carbon that has worked wonders for my tank. it removes phosphates and nitrates, and it really clears up the water. and it can be used for up to six months before having to be replaced. it just needs to be rinsed off occasionally because the bag does collect quite a bit of stuff.

Archived